Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2033030

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 5th, 2022, 17:40   #3581
Othen
Premier Member

Default Spot The Difference:

Spot the difference:

... and:

That's right: in the first photo the little lever on the top (DEF) heater control is missing... and in the second (today) I found a replacement and have fitted it. Actually I bought 4 of them in an eBay auction for just £2:

... three spares of these must be at least two lifetime's supply!

A tiny change, but strangely satisfying :-)

Last edited by Othen; Oct 5th, 2022 at 19:22. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 5th, 2022, 18:30   #3582
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Spot the difference:

... and:

That's right: in the first photo the little lever on the top (DEF) heater control is missing... and inn the second (today) I found a replacement and have fitted it. Actually I bought 4 of them in an eBay auction for just £2:

... three spares of these must be at least two lifetime's supply!

A tiny change, but strangely satisfying :-)
I saw those. Handy purchase!👍
Old Oct 5th, 2022, 19:10   #3583
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
I saw those. Handy purchase!👍
These little wins are so satisfying when running an older motor car Andrew.

:-)
Old Oct 5th, 2022, 19:20   #3584
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
These little wins are so satisfying when running an older motor car Andrew.

Just like a BIG SHED to keep it all in!😁
Old Oct 5th, 2022, 21:33   #3585
Bugjam1999
Master Member

I don’t believe the earliest cars with heated seats had on/off switches, after a couple of years volvo added switches to turn them off completely rather than relying on the thermostatic switch.

If it was my car I’d add a heating element to the passenger seat and isolating switches for both on the handbrake console, but it’s up to you of course..

More discussion here

Cheers
Bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bugjam1999 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 5th, 2022, 22:20   #3586
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugjam1999 View Post
I don’t believe the earliest cars with heated seats had on/off switches, after a couple of years volvo added switches to turn them off completely rather than relying on the thermostatic switch.

If it was my car I’d add a heating element to the passenger seat and isolating switches for both on the handbrake console, but it’s up to you of course..

More discussion here

Cheers
Ditto ^^^^^

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 6th, 2022, 06:02   #3587
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugjam1999 View Post

More discussion here

Cheers
Thank you, that corroborates what I’m seeing.

I’m not sure about adding heated seats elements to the passenger chair; the interior is very nice so I wouldn’t want it to appear tatty after I’d taken it apart (I’m better at oily bits and electrics, not so good at upholstery). Inserting a switch for the driver’s chair into one of the blanks in the hand brake console would be easy though, and I even have the switch (left over from the RB project). I just wonder whether it might look odd with only one switch.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Oct 6th, 2022 at 06:42.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 6th, 2022, 09:03   #3588
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:

The 15" rims and 195/65 tyres fill the wheel arches much better than the original 14" wheels and 175/70 tyres:

The Pholus wheels have nearly new winter tyres fitted, but that doesn't really matter, I think I'll run them as all year round rubber. The winter tyres will wear a little quicker, but I'm only expecting to do around 2,000 miles/year so that will hardly make any difference. I think they suit the Barge much better than do the originals.
I was intrigued at another thread I was reading in the general section of this forum where a chap said he had just bought some new tyres (for his wife's Vauxhall I think) that came with less than 6mm of tread. This led me to seeing how much thread I had on the Barge's winter tyres that I have decided to run all year round. The answer is 13-14mm on all four (bear in mind these have already done about 2,000 miles on the RB).

I'll measure them again this time next year, so if winter tyres wear that much (but with 14mm to start with that is a huge head start).

Old Oct 6th, 2022, 09:25   #3589
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I was intrigued at another thread I was reading in the general section of this forum where a chap said he had just bought some new tyres (for his wife's Vauxhall I think) that came with less than 6mm of tread. This led me to seeing how much thread I had on the Barge's winter tyres that I have decided to run all year round. The answer is 13-14mm on all four (bear in mind these have already done about 2,000 miles on the RB).

I'll measure them again this time next year, so if winter tyres wear that much (but with 14mm to start with that is a huge head start).

The standard amount of tread on new tyres is 8mm Alan, i guess winter tyres may have more to start with to help disperse snow, ice and slush and are a much softer compound for enhanced grip so they probably wear much quicker too.

I wonder if the persons "new" tyres for his wifes Vauxhall were in fact new or just good part-worns and new-to-him/his wife?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 6th, 2022, 12:42   #3590
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The standard amount of tread on new tyres is 8mm Alan, i guess winter tyres may have more to start with to help disperse snow, ice and slush and are a much softer compound for enhanced grip so they probably wear much quicker too.

I wonder if the persons "new" tyres for his wifes Vauxhall were in fact new or just good part-worns and new-to-him/his wife?
When I lived in Germany I knew quite a few people that ran winter tyres all year round - particularly those in mountainous areas where they were legally required during the cold months. They often said their tyres lasted the same mileage as ordinary ones - now I know the reason why - they start off with twice as much tread.

You may be right about the chap getting tyres for his wife's Vauxhall - perhaps he just told her they were new!