Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Swapping the wheels from front to back

Views : 1556

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 21st, 2011, 12:56   #1
Ringthane
VOC Member

Default Swapping the wheels from front to back

After having just had it serviced, taxed and insured, winter tyres were out of the question this close to Christmas so yesterday, I decided to swap the wheels and tyres from the front to the back. The fronts had worn to 4mm and the rears were 6.5mm. I have done 8500 miles and the tyres are PZero Rossos’.

The front wheels came off with a little wiggling but the backs were seized onto the hub so bloody tight that it took me nearly 20 minutes of kicking and swearing. As my wife pointed out between the laughter, it’s a good job it happened in daylight on the driveway rather than a rain swept night with a puncture.

Looking at the hub, the short stub that locates the centre of the wheel had corroded so much that even a vigorous wire brushing left them pitted.
Needless to say, I liberally spread some Copaslip onto the hub and the inner mating face of the wheel.

While the wheels were off, I took the opportunity to paint the callipers black to cover up some rust coloured stains that had appeared on the aluminium callipers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ringthane For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 14:49   #2
ThomasXC60

I had mine swapped over when I was getting some warrantee work done as I wanted to change all 4 tyres at the same time for some that might last a little longer.
ThomasXC60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 16:29   #3
DesertDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
aluminium callipers.

You sure?

They feel and sound like steel to me

His: MY2008 Shelby Cobra GT500 coupe - Torch Red
DesertDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 22:28   #4
Ringthane
VOC Member

No, I'm not sure at all.

It's just that the red discolouration did not look like rust and the calipers themselves had a sort of white bloom on them that I remember from my engineering days working with ally castings. But I am happy to be corrected.
Old Nov 25th, 2011, 11:55   #5
Rich17

The only problem with swapping front to back is that you then end up replacing 4 tyres at the same time.
Rich17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2011, 12:04   #6
Ransman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich17 View Post
The only problem with swapping front to back is that you then end up replacing 4 tyres at the same time.
Which means you can negotiate a bigger discount. You just need to put the money to one side and budget accordingly.
Ransman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ransman For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 25th, 2011, 12:34   #7
Ringthane
VOC Member

I must admit, I did wonder if it was better to change two tyres or four and if it wasn’t for the fact that winter is coming and I wanted as much tread on the front as possible, I would have left them where they were and got two new tyres when required.

When I change them though, I will not replace them with Pirellis. I am leaning towards some General Grabbers.
Old Nov 25th, 2011, 13:16   #8
Ransman
Master Member

Quote:
I must admit, I did wonder if it was better to change two tyres or four and if it wasn’t for the fact that winter is coming and I wanted as much tread on the front as possible, I would have left them where they were and got two new tyres when required.

When I change them though, I will not replace them with Pirellis. I am leaning towards some General Grabbers.
After initial indications that the fronts would only last 10,000 miles, the sums now indicate more like 20,000 miles, which is much more like it. I guess my initial measurement technique must have been inaccurate. Rears look to be around 45,000 miles.

I am, therefore, quite happy with the Pirellis.
Ransman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ransman For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 16:59   #9
rkennedy

Quote:
No, I'm not sure at all.

It's just that the red discolouration did not look like rust and the calipers themselves had a sort of white bloom on them that I remember from my engineering days working with ally castings. But I am happy to be corrected.
Silver colour is actually zinc electroplating - the calipers are actually cast iron as you will find out when you change the pads especially the fronts!
rkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote