Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 891107

Replies : 6477

Users Viewing This Thread : Jackman, Laird Scooby, Steve 940

Old Today, 08:12   #6471
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I really do struggle to see the fascination with 30 year old motor cars. They aren’t close to being tax exempt and have poor fuel consumption, so they are expensive to run; at the same time they don’t have any of the advantages of more modern motor cars. A similar sized 10 year old car (for example my Skoda Superb estate) will cost about the same as this one’s asking price, only be £20/year to tax, return 50MPG and be far more reliable. Depreciation on a 10 year old motor car has largely already happened, so that will be much the same as the 30 year old one - until it starts getting close to qualifying as an historic vehicle. Once a vehicle gets to 40 years old it becomes tax and ULEZ exempt and the cost of ownership equation changes completely.

Just the thoughts of a grumpy man with a beard and a dog called Bob.

I’ve started to view my retirement income and savings as this. I have as much as I shall ever need , I don’t crave for anything, by the same token, running a nice car that I like is only going to reduce how much I leave in my will. Not an amount I am to concerned about , quite frankly!🥹

I am very cheap to run so a little extravagance here and there is nice.

Last edited by Moomoo; Today at 08:21.
Moomoo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 09:44   #6472
soupytwister
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I really do struggle to see the fascination with 30 year old motor cars. They aren’t close to being tax exempt and have poor fuel consumption, so they are expensive to run; at the same time they don’t have any of the advantages of more modern motor cars. A similar sized 10 year old car (for example my Skoda Superb estate) will cost about the same as this one’s asking price, only be £20/year to tax, return 50MPG and be far more reliable. Depreciation on a 10 year old motor car has largely already happened, so that will be much the same as the 30 year old one - until it starts getting close to qualifying as an historic vehicle. Once a vehicle gets to 40 years old it becomes tax and ULEZ exempt and the cost of ownership equation changes completely.

Just the thoughts of a grumpy man with a beard and a dog called Bob.
You've talked about the head, but missed out the heart & soul!

Up here in Edinburgh, my 31 yr old 240 is LEZ exempt, so it's only the tax bit that is still to come in 9 years.

Having a car with simpler mechanics is also an advantage in terms of DIY repairs, although appreciate parts may become limited/difficult to source in some circumstances. Perhaps if you're running one as your *only* car, then it doesn't make so much sense. If running 2 cars, it makes things easier when one is in downtime.

My son loves driving the 240 for the attention it brings, and the feeling of driving something different from everyone else. I mean, no-one takes a second glance at more modern mass market car (generally).
Prev : MY19 S60 T5 R-Design First Edition
Prev : MY17 XC90 D5 R-Design

Last edited by soupytwister; Today at 10:15.
soupytwister is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to soupytwister For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 11:18   #6473
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
I’ve started to view my retirement income and savings as this. I have as much as I shall ever need , I don’t crave for anything, by the same token, running a nice car that I like is only going to reduce how much I leave in my will. Not an amount I am to concerned about , quite frankly!🥹

I am very cheap to run so a little extravagance here and there is nice.
Here, here Moomoo !!

None of this titting about with 'old' motors make sense, each to their own and all that.... Would be a dull old world if everyone drove around in a bland motor full of technology that we don't really need or want.

Glad to hear you think you're cheap to run

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 11:32   #6474
Moomoo
VOC Member

Do I get my reason and prudence star back ?

Please Steve!🙏
Old Today, 11:48   #6475
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Do I get my reason and prudence star back ?

Please Steve!🙏
Well we can see, with this one.......

https://www.carandclassic.com/auctio...-estate-n9PYRg

35k pretty spotless MOT history as you'd expect, with links to a famous?? TV personality

Auction at end of month, but get your pre bids in, any predictions???

Cheers
Steve
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 12:06   #6476
Moomoo
VOC Member

Not a common colour, inside or out. Very, very nice indeed. The price, not sure on this one, it’s right , no question.

I’ve heard there’s space at an IP postcode!😃
Old Today, 12:22   #6477
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Not a common colour, inside or out. Very, very nice indeed. The price, not sure on this one, it’s right , no question.

I’ve heard there’s space at an IP postcode!😃
Afraid not as its a manual, now if it were an Auto.....

As you say, unusual colour, but its just a version of the ubiquitous red, also with such a rare interior colour, getting matching trim may be a long search.

Well my guess is that the reserve is probably somewhere around £10k , who knows? I am registered with that website, so have just set up alerts.

Cheers
Steve
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 12:32   #6478
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Afraid not as its a manual, now if it were an Auto.....

As you say, unusual colour, but its just a version of the ubiquitous red, also with such a rare interior colour, getting matching trim may be a long search.

Well my guess is that the reserve is probably somewhere around £10k , who knows? I am registered with that website, so have just set up alerts.

Cheers
Steve
I think the £10k reserve is pretty much certain. It may prove optimistic. The celebrity ownership will make little difference, in my opinion. The interior, as you say, would be a nightmare to source.

I will be interested to see how this one pans out.