Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Strombergs in the bin? 1971 164

Views : 1534

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 24th, 2005, 21:19   #1
FlungPup

Is there an alternative manifold/carb setup other than the twin Strombergs? Dual or even triple SU's perhaps?
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 13:26   #2
davebslater(uk)
redbollock guru

Default RE: Strombergs in the bin? 1971 164

Triple webers !! or fuel injection - i suggest a megasquirted 6 cylinder to be most satisfactory - and probably cheaper more reliable than webers/su/strombergs .

for a manifold - look at the KGtrimning site - they have lots of stuff for the older type car .
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 09:52   #3
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I would go the tripple webers or throttle bodys with a gas injection system. I would not swap stronbergs for su's as the stronbergs are the better of the two probably just need overhall.

Dai
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 23:29   #4
FlungPup

Interesting... Strombergs better than SU's? I wouldn't have thought so. I base that on my dealings with Jaguar lovers though. We're always ripping off the Strombergs and putting the SU's found on the European models so I thought the same would apply for a Volvo.

The Webers would be an option worth looking at. Three Webers would mean a different intake manifold then, I suppose, and cosiderations for choke and coolant.

I just converted my 73 XJ6 to a triple SU config. A little more involved than I thought it would be but well worth it!

Thanks for the replies!
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 22:30   #5
twaintje

Always the same problem on forums!

If you go for rude (thirsty) power, take the SU's but if you want sophisticated fuel economy, stick to the Strombergs and rebuild them!!
As for other cars than Volvo, my Triumph Stag (3ltr V8)runs on 2 Stromberg with an fueleconomy of 10 ltrs to 100 Km, if I drive sensible and after rebuilding them!
Without efford nothing to gaine!!!!!!!

Twaintje@hotmail.com