Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Injector Questions / Results of Leak Test

Views : 1960

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 16th, 2021, 09:01   #1
eddr

Default Injector Questions / Results of Leak Test

Hi All,

Recently purchased a 2006 XC90 D5 which has a hard starting issue (Posting in this sub forum as well as it's more 'active' sorry):-
- First start of the day requires 5 - 10 seconds of cranking
- Will start normally then, for the rest of the day
- Battery replaced
- Glow plugs replaced

This then left us with the injectors and so got a leak back test kit and I think the results are self explanatory - this is consistent having repeated the test a few times.

The attached picture showing the result of the leak back test is after 2 minutes with no. 3 obviously being an issue but should we also be concerned about the others?...

The current injectors are Bosch I believe - my understanding is that as long as the injectors are replaced with the same 'class' then no re-programming is required - is this correct? I can't see any 'class' number on the injectors.

Finally - when we get a new injector, where do I get the seals and a new clip? (We've lost a clip in the process of testing) - Is this suitable? -> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-V...hoC2ZYQAvD_BwE
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg leaktest.jpeg (84.2 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg inj.JPG (113.8 KB, 31 views)
eddr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2021, 10:23   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddr View Post
Hi All,

Recently purchased a 2006 XC90 D5 which has a hard starting issue (Posting in this sub forum as well as it's more 'active' sorry):-
- First start of the day requires 5 - 10 seconds of cranking
- Will start normally then, for the rest of the day
- Battery replaced
- Glow plugs replaced

This then left us with the injectors and so got a leak back test kit and I think the results are self explanatory - this is consistent having repeated the test a few times.

The attached picture showing the result of the leak back test is after 2 minutes with no. 3 obviously being an issue but should we also be concerned about the others?...

The current injectors are Bosch I believe - my understanding is that as long as the injectors are replaced with the same 'class' then no re-programming is required - is this correct? I can't see any 'class' number on the injectors.

Finally - when we get a new injector, where do I get the seals and a new clip? (We've lost a clip in the process of testing) - Is this suitable? -> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-V...hoC2ZYQAvD_BwE

The criteria for the flow test is that after one minute of idling the return flow should be BELOW 40 ml

The injectors have a hexadecimal code as shown on the upper part of the top of your injector , this is what must be programmed in if you change an Injector . any "reconditioned" injector code is null unless supplied with a new code ... some reconditioning centres can supply new codes . But best just get a new volvo one and do it properly... fit, code and forget ...

Injector fitting kits are easily available at your local volvo dealer ..

Be VERY careful to TORQUE the small bolts holding the Injector clamps down to the correct figure .. hand tightening by feel is a no in your own interests !
Old Dec 16th, 2021, 21:10   #3
eddr

Thanks for your reply.

Well in that case injector no. 3 needs replacing for sure 😬.

I’ve already gone ahead and ordered a remanufactured injector - I’m finding out from where I’ve ordered from whether they provide an updated code… I don’t want to pay £349 to volvo thanks! I’ll use VDASH to code it in - I hope.

The injector comes with the copper seal ring but think I’ll need a kit? From what I’ve seen it just contains a plate, bolts, 2 other seals and the copper ring seal.

Thanks
Old Dec 16th, 2021, 21:22   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Thanks for your reply.

Well in that case injector no. 3 needs replacing for sure 😬.

I’ve already gone ahead and ordered a remanufactured injector - I’m finding out from where I’ve ordered from whether they provide an updated code… I don’t want to pay £349 to volvo thanks! I’ll use VDASH to code it in - I hope.

The injector comes with the copper seal ring but think I’ll need a kit? From what I’ve seen it just contains a plate, bolts, 2 other seals and the copper ring seal.

Thanks
you will realise that the £350 is well spent ....

Yes you need the 5 fitting kits, the bracket is preloaded to hold the injector down on the washer with a certain tension , it bends and is use once only . use it twice and you get combustion gasses and black gunge leaking up over time and you will never get the injectors out again .
Old Dec 16th, 2021, 21:49   #5
MrJames

Why not give FRF a call and see what they can do an injector for? Using the discount code from them also dropped the fitting kit to nearly half price, I think they were around £44 and went down to around £24 per kit.
Old Dec 16th, 2021, 22:43   #6
eddr

Thanks both.

I’d love to be in a position to replace all of them, brand new - but that’s not going to happen. Surely selling remanufactured ones would be trying to flog a dead horse then if they’re no good? I find it hard to believe a remanufactured one if done correctly and coded properly would not do the job.

The injector is already ordered, from autodc - so will see how it goes and based on what’s been said about the fitting kit - will order one of these too then.

I’ve not heard of FRF?
Old Dec 16th, 2021, 22:47   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Thanks both.

I’d love to be in a position to replace all of them, brand new - but that’s not going to happen. Surely selling remanufactured ones would be trying to flog a dead horse then if they’re no good? I find it hard to believe a remanufactured one if done correctly and coded properly would not do the job.

The injector is already ordered, from autodc - so will see how it goes and based on what’s been said about the fitting kit - will order one of these too then.

I’ve not heard of FRF?
I have seen quite a few "reconditioned" injectors knocking and smoking" that's why it's not worth the hassle the job costs twice as much in the end
It will be a risk . but don't accept it without the individual calibration code .
Old Dec 16th, 2021, 23:16   #8
MrJames

Quote:
Thanks both.

I’ve not heard of FRF?
You can find their contact details in this post including the discount code, make sure you give them that when you call them!

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=57125

As Clan has said you might have issues, the problem is the injector can be remanufactured to the specification of the manufacturer, the problem comes in that these injectors get used in multiple different engines so Volvo have their own set of calibrated injectors, without knowing what flow rate the remanufactured injector has there's a chance the ECU won't be able to control the injector properly.

You might get lucky, you might not, the other issue is will autodoc take the injector back after it's been fitted? It's something that might be worth looking into.
Old Dec 30th, 2021, 15:49   #9
eddr

Following up on this with some good news...

After replacing injector no. 3 with the remanufactured one from autodc + coding using vdash, the engine is now starting in less than a second on its first start of the day.

One thing we have noticed though is this xc90 is running rich (evident by the smell / fumes). Is this going to be down to the fuel previously leaking back into the oil and then being burnt off? Our understanding is that this is definitely possible and oil thinning / polluting can happen due to leaking injectors - which now tempts us to replace all the remaining ones, even if they are within the 'tolerances' of less than 40ml in a minute.

There's not really much info about VDASH around - so here's a few things:
- On the face of it, it seems you have to purchase a yearly pro subscription and its going to cost you ~400 euro a year. Actually, if you go through the motions of purchasing a subscription in VDASH, you get given a Home / 'Small' license option which costs 10 euro and will enable you to perform injector coding for free, for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours I believe injector coding may then be chargeable as per their individual price list (This is TBC - Will update if/when I try this again).
- VDASH in its 'free' license state will allow you to read DTC's and clear them.
- I've included a screenshot with this post of VDASH - this is the first screen show after logging in + scanning the car.
- VDASH requires internet connection to run.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (168.7 KB, 25 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to eddr For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 30th, 2021, 16:10   #10
Willow place

I have replaced 2 injectors on my D5 2003 , with re-cons and did not have to code anything .
Willow place is offline   Reply With Quote