Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 610377

Replies : 2692

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 14th, 2017, 07:40   #1571
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
My XC60 certainly is always updated each time and I have to reset the settings because they don't always reset it back to how I have it.

Roy
Indeed, the one minor irritation is having to reset all the settings. Mirrors, home lighting, steering force, collision warning distance etc. etc.
I have now resolved to make a 'quick reference list' to make the whole process quicker. I suppose that's the price you pay for all this technology.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2017, 07:44   #1572
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
My understanding is that the software is updated every service on every car and that is the reason it should always go to a main dealer. My indi did mine on my previous V40 and got told off by Volvo.

My XC60 certainly is always updated each time and I have to reset the settings because they don't always reset it back to how I have it.

Roy
Strange, in 8 years of XC60 ownership I can only recall thus happening once, certainly not everytime it is serviced.
Old Apr 14th, 2017, 11:52   #1573
uro1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Strange, in 8 years of XC60 ownership I can only recall thus happening once, certainly not everytime it is serviced.
Certainly not every time but often enough. It might depend on which updates are done - or if the service personal though of doing the backup - recovery thing themselves.

In any case I do also an backup before leaving the car at the dealer. It causes hardly any effort especially compared to loosing the stored data.
Old Apr 14th, 2017, 12:13   #1574
xsaab
Master Member

How does one do a back up - RTFM I expect - actually scanning the PDF manuals I could not see any entry for backing up the software.
xsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2017, 13:33   #1575
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsaab View Post
How does one do a back up - RTFM I expect - actually scanning the PDF manuals I could not see any entry for backing up the software.
You can't, but you can back up any stored locations
Old Apr 14th, 2017, 15:49   #1576
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uro1 View Post
Certainly not every time but often enough. It might depend on which updates are done - or if the service personal though of doing the backup - recovery thing themselves.

In any case I do also an backup before leaving the car at the dealer. It causes hardly any effort especially compared to loosing the stored data.
From the Volvo Service Price Indicator which says the same for every service interval...
Quote:
VOLVO SERVICE PROMISE - 5 years or 90,000 miles

Volvo Service Promise includes free software updates (that makes sure your Volvo is always up to date with our latest software), alternative transport and a complimentary health check of your car. We will also wash your Volvo, extend your Volvo Assistance and offer a personal service contact at no extra charge.
As a matter of interest, the Volvo service plans save money on the costs of individual services.

Roy

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Apr 14th, 2017 at 15:53.
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2017, 22:19   #1577
Dmode01

Default Car nearly stalls

Hi, just a quick question, I have D4 Auto from new (Nov 2016), which has been perfect until recently. Just got to approx. 37,000 miles and I have noticed the from a cold start the car seams to miss a beat at low revs and nearly stalls and takes a while to settle down, when warm and don't notice it at speed... Just noticed the other day from cold, if I put apporx 1200 rpm while in the drive it sometimes drops to 800 and back up again.

Could this a sign of EGR fault??

Thanks
Dmode01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2017, 22:29   #1578
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmode01 View Post
Hi, just a quick question, I have D4 Auto from new (Nov 2016), which has been perfect until recently. Just got to approx. 37,000 miles and I have noticed the from a cold start the car seams to miss a beat at low revs and nearly stalls and takes a while to settle down, when warm and don't notice it at speed... Just noticed the other day from cold, if I put apporx 1200 rpm while in the drive it sometimes drops to 800 and back up again.

Could this a sign of EGR fault??

Thanks
possibly , but there are so many things which it could be .. A visit to the dealer will get them to investigate the stored fault codes if any .. I would imagine there would be as they are stored in the background and no warning light comes on until it gets more serious .
Old Jun 28th, 2017, 20:13   #1579
JasWolves

Hi again.

Just wanted to update everyone on previous posts and get some advice. I have the old 5 cylinder engined D4 XC60 and had limp mode issues. The engine management light came on once reporting an exhaust gas error.

A mechanic friend of mine removed the valve and pipework and cleaned off a whole load of carbon built up. This resulted in 7 months of trouble free motoring and improved mpg.

However, the dreaded limp mode is now back and my friend recommends removing the egr, pipework and having the ecu remapped.

Has anyone else had this done? What are the disadvantages of doing this? Could this cause further problems to the engine?

I spoke to Volvo and they say there is no recall for egr problems on this type of engine. I can't see them fixing the problem if there is no official recall from Volvo head office.

I come from years of Audi ownership where i never had any of these issues. I love the XC60 but my patience is starting to be tested. I dont want to get rid of it but also dont want to have these issues every 6 months.

Any advice from you guys would be most welcome!

Jas.
JasWolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2017, 20:43   #1580
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Your friend is almost certainly wrong in his diagnosis. This is the only report of an EGR issue related to this engine I have seen in many years of its production.

Limp Mode is caused by the exhaust not getting hot enough to burn off the deposits in the DPF and is initially cleared by taking the car down a motorway or similar for 30 mins to get the exhaust hot all the way through and for regeneration to take place. In extreme cases a forced regeneration is required which is undertaken using VIDA.

Excessive consumption and poor performance can also be caused by the failure of the DPF sensor which is a cheap and easy fix. This failure will often not result in Limp Mode being engaged.

The codes need to be read and the correct repair done.