Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How many have we lost this year?

Views : 5615

Replies : 55

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 15th, 2008, 14:57   #11
pete-d
pete-d

I'm not clever enough to hack into the database but I had a hunch that the P number is something like a unique key for the model on the DVLA database, generated when that model is first registered.

Based on that hunch, I think I've managed to identify 9 distinct batches of 200 series cars, as recognised by the DVLA. I know very little about the history of the 200 series, so I'd be interested if my attached analysis, based on this hunch, makes sense to someone who knows the history well.

Pete
Attached Files
File Type: doc Licensed and Sorn Volvo 200 series models sorted PD.doc (146.0 KB, 35 views)

C30 T5 SE Lux 2007
S80 2.5T SE Lux 2009
S60 D4 R Design 2013
pete-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 16:47   #12
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

My 240 should be SORN... But then it is undergoing revitalisation..
Should be back for the summer and SORN'd again for winter....

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 19:17   #13
146ken
VOC Member

A good try pete-d but I am quite sure that the s/r designation does not stand for sun roof. I have looked at my V5 for cars with and without a sun roof and there is no indication.

I think you are right that the pxxxx numbers are part of the DVLA system and don't relate to any particular properties of model.

You seem to have an idea of how databases work and how to search and interpret. How would you frame a request to DVLA so that we can extract a more informative list from them?
146ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 22:33   #14
pete-d
pete-d

Good question Ken!

I'll have a think about it.

It occurs to me that a useful question would be what the body style is - especially as the later 240/260 models didn't have the final 4/5 digit to give a clue. Prod me by PM on Friday if you've heard nothing as I have a day off and will have time to put somethought into it.

I thought long and hard about what the S/R designation might be and settled on sunroof as a factory fitted roof might affect the structural integrity (on some cars - but probably not Volvo) and therefore might be classified separately. If anyone else has any better ideas please scream.

Pete

C30 T5 SE Lux 2007
S80 2.5T SE Lux 2009
S60 D4 R Design 2013
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 00:23   #15
Glen Morangie
Economy motorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete-d View Post
Good question Ken!

I thought long and hard about what the S/R designation might be and settled on sunroof as a factory fitted roof might affect the structural integrity (on some cars - but probably not Volvo) and therefore might be classified separately. If anyone else has any better ideas please scream.

Pete
I don't think it could be sunroof, as there's only a small number in each case, and the sunroof was standard on GLE saloons (no estates had them from the factory) - so there'd be a lot more.

- wondered if it was something like 'special registration' - personal plates or something else.

It looks like the 'P' numbers are issued in sequence, so the Torslanda has a fairly high number - it might be each time the model got significant revisions, where two variants for DL and GL would be 81 - 86, 86 - 91 etc.
Glen Morangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 02:23   #16
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

On the 300 series 'S/R' on the V5 (where stated) definitely DOES represent sunroof. I've only ever seen it on models with metal tilt/slide sunroofs though, not 'pop' up glass ones (also factory-fit).

cheers

James
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 08:47   #17
morsing
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
On the 300 series 'S/R' on the V5 (where stated) definitely DOES represent sunroof. I've only ever seen it on models with metal tilt/slide sunroofs though, not 'pop' up glass ones (also factory-fit).

Why would this be significant on a V5?
'70 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
'95 Saab 9000 CSE 2.0 Turbo Auto
morsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 09:32   #18
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

I have no idea why the DVLA would care...but that is what it stands for. You could get each version of the 360 (and higher spec 340s) with and without a sunroof.

cheers

James
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 09:33   #19
niloc
SWV Benefactor

I've done vehicle lookups using the reg number, and sometimes it comes up as s/r. I've always thought it was sunroof...
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 10:28   #20
pete-d
pete-d

If it does mean sunroof I guess it's to do with what the manufacturer says when they apply for type approval. If they declare separate models with and without sunroof this would be recorded. If a sunroof is standard on all cars of a particular model then it may not be declared/recorded. If a sunroof is a factory fitted option (but not a specifically declared seperate model) then it probably wouldn't be recorded.

Another example that comes to mind is the Peugeot 206 - there was a time that you could get a 206 GL s/r with sunroof or a 206 GL a/c with aircon. These were listed as seperate models even though they were essentially the same car.

Pete

C30 T5 SE Lux 2007
S80 2.5T SE Lux 2009
S60 D4 R Design 2013