Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My new GLT and noise.

Views : 1828

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 16th, 2007, 17:57   #11
146ken
VOC Member

It is amazing what some sellers on ebay don't mention in there adverts for cars in excellent condition, with "service history".

Just retrieved the Blue GLT estate from garage and have a long list of things needing attention.

Heater blower not working.
Rear middle seat belt casing missing.
High level brake light hanging off.
O/s wiper has scratched screen.
Both headlamp reflectors badly tarnished.
Headlamp aim high.
O/s headlamp adjuster broken.
Radiator in poor condition, needs replacing.
N/s and O/s front flexy brake hoses in poor condition.
slight play in n/s and o/s rack knuckle.
Play in o/s/f bottom ball joint.
Play in n/s/f wheel bearing.
o/s/f wheel bearing noisy. This was replaced as car was getting undriveable.
Tailgate electrics not working to wiper, central locking and demister.
Very poor repair to tailgate edge, silicon bathroom sealant.
Very poor respray of tailgate, including non standard 240 GLT badging.
Radio cassette eats rather than plays tapes.
No intermittent on front wipers and they also don't return to start position.
Nice virgo alloys and new tyres, but wheels had not been balanced.

And thats what been found so far. Some of the MOT critical items like brake pipes, wheel bearing, headlamp alignment, seat belt are quite clearly things which haven't been right for some time, yet MOT issued in May did not have any advisories.

I so wanted to love this car. It looks good and the midnight blue with tan leather interior is such a good combination. Pity that the seller was persuaded that two packets of cheapo air fresheners would give it that "new" car feel, he has succeeded in making the interior smell so strongly of vomit that it is difficult to sit in the car for long without wanting to puke.

So there's my sales pitch. Anyone want a GLT in "excellent condition"
146ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 22:44   #12
ukfirebird

ken,
i bidded on this car, as it looked like a great car, the blue with the tan leather done for me too. most of the things you have listed are a pain in the a*** for sure but can easily be rectified so dont be to cheesed off, it's and old car with a lot of miles on it so things are bound to wear out. at least you'll have somthing to do over the next few weekends that'll save you going shopping with the wife.

i bid and won a 940 estate on ebay myself a few weeks ago and travel from s.e.london to woodbridge in suffolk by train to pick up the car only to find a massive oil leak coming from the just beneath the head, the guy had clealry put in his add that there was no oil or water leaking from the car i was proper p***ed off i can tell you you as it cost me another £31 to get home again including a 2hr wait for the sodding train.
ukfirebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 22:51   #13
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 146ken View Post
Thanks chaps.
I have driven the car round some quiet roads with the window open and the noise is definitely, front right and back left. The noise from the rear I'm pretty sure is fuel pump, and from the front is the brakes. Offside disc is worn and has a lipped edge. When turning left the noise increase but stops if you touch the brakes.
Perhaps a front wheel bearing is noisy ? most noticable usualy about 40 mph and tails off over 50 mph?
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 08:17   #14
honestjoe
MY 240 DRIVES ME!

Hi ken..wow that is a list of things to do!!..buying second hand or in my case five previous owners!! is fraut with hazards..as i walk up to any car i suddenly go blind and can only see the odd stone chip here and there...as i read the list i though yes mine had this issue...and that one!...they are pretty common faults for 240"s..the heater may be a little more complex if it needs replacing but some members have done this job and though its quite labour intensive is pretty straight forward...i will not begin to tell you what i spent on mine for the mot this year...lets put it this way i could have bought perhaps three off ebay!!...but hey better the devil you know!...i"m a gardener by trade and my 240 smells all year round of grass cuttings and petrol...ahhhh...lovely!...cheers ken and good luck with the work..regards hj.
honestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 08:28   #15
Rich1967

Hi Ken sorry to hear your problems but the previous guy is right minor problems easily rectified hope you sort them out and enjoy the car I am new to this forum but will be looking in more often about to purchase a Volvo S60 so will be on one of the other forums. Rich1967
Rich1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 16:41   #16
146ken
VOC Member

Thanks for the encouragement chaps. I think the stress of the last week was showing through, what with the problems with this one, then being rear ended on sunday in my 240SE- see "Expletive Deleted" thread.

Todays nice and sunny in Devon, I've got tomorrow off work and will make a start on the things I can do myself.
146ken is offline   Reply With Quote