Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60 D5 Engine Maintenece

Views : 1220

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 23rd, 2020, 11:58   #1
James2k2

Default S60 D5 Engine Maintenece

Hi all,

Just a real quick one hopefully. My MY2014 S60 runs pretty well, and is still returning me high 50's MPG, if not over 60 so it's in decent shape I'd say.

However after 118K miles, it doesn't quite sound as smooth as it once did when idling, and equally starts aren't quite as smooth. They're still fairly quick but when it starts you can tell there's more effort being required.

It's had services each year, and it recently had the cambelt done so I'd say I've done the 'norm' for servicing.

My question: Is there any other not so 'norm' that can be recommended to bring it back to the silky smooth it once had? Or even just to keep it as good as can be. I intend to keep it for a further 2 years at least so want it to serve me well. I do a daily commute of around 150mi round trip.

Cheers!
James2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2020, 13:23   #2
Easington
Master Member

Try some injector cleaner and perhaps your glow plugs are on the way out?
Old Dec 23rd, 2020, 21:35   #3
Sotosound
Premier Member

Does it still have the original battery?
Sotosound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2020, 11:36   #4
James2k2

Thanks for the advice. Any particular injector cleaner you'd recommend? I'll have a look into glow plugs.

I believe it's still on the original battery. It's never once had an issue starting and even after 2 weeks or so of no movement during the Lockdown earlier this year it still started fine. It did take a while before auto stop/start worked though.

Cheers!
Old Dec 25th, 2020, 22:56   #5
Drunk

don't believe in all those cleaning agents, if you dont have any smoke, rough idle or serious consumption issues your injectors are fine. It's probably the intake manifold and the egr system that's getting clogged up, a good clean would definitely help somewhat, thats for bringing the power back. If it starts slowly it might be the battery or the glow plugs, or both
Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2020, 09:43   #6
Easington
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James2k2 View Post
Thanks for the advice. Any particular injector cleaner you'd recommend? I'll have a look into glow plugs.

I believe it's still on the original battery. It's never once had an issue starting and even after 2 weeks or so of no movement during the Lockdown earlier this year it still started fine. It did take a while before auto stop/start worked though.

Cheers!
Some folk believe in them, some don't. The internet will show research for both answers. I always buy whatever is on offer in Asda. For about £2 a bottle every couple of months it doesn't do any harm
Old Dec 27th, 2020, 14:30   #7
James2k2

Great, thanks. I definitely don't have issue with performance, or consumption. It's just the idle is a little noisier than it used to be, but definitely not rough. Like you don't feel any abnormal vibrating from the vehicle or anything.

With the advice given then, perhaps I'll look at glow plugs or battery (or both). I do occasionally get 'please wait, starting' or something to that effect on the screen.

@easington, can I just ask (off topic apologies) did the Polestar upgrade change much MPG wise, how much did you pay and was it worth it?

Cheers!
Old Dec 29th, 2020, 16:06   #8
Easington
Master Member

[QUOTE=

@easington, can I just ask (off topic apologies) did the Polestar upgrade change much MPG wise, how much did you pay and was it worth it?

Cheers![/QUOTE]

No noticeable difference on MPG. Volvo had an offer on recently so I paid £374 for it which I think was worth it. If I'd paid full price I would have been disappointed though. It makes the car sharper and more responsive. Being the auto you need to be careful with remaps not to exceed the torque limits of the gearbox
Old Dec 29th, 2020, 16:31   #9
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easington View Post
No noticeable difference on MPG. Volvo had an offer on recently so I paid £374 for it which I think was worth it. If I'd paid full price I would have been disappointed though. It makes the car sharper and more responsive. Being the auto you need to be careful with remaps not to exceed the torque limits of the gearbox
Not an issue with an OEM Polestar map, of course. (TF80's limit is 440 NM btw)
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2020, 17:36   #10
Buckshot61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easington View Post
Being the auto you need to be careful with remaps not to exceed the torque limits of the gearbox
BSR limits the torque on low gears
Buckshot61 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buckshot61 For This Useful Post: