Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Does your speed camera alert only work in one direction?

Views : 995

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 18th, 2020, 12:49   #1
Yelper85

Default Does your speed camera alert only work in one direction?

Hi all,

I've noticed the speed camera alert only works in the direction of travel. I assume this behaviour is the same for you guys?

It also doesn't warn of red-light cameras which can get you for running a red light but also speeding, so why not alert you?

Gatso based cameras, yes, one way, but Truvelo based cameras work in both directions, hence why there's lines on both sides of the road and the inductive sensors, but only one camera (usually).

Thoughts?

20 plate XC60 Inscription Pro T8 PHEV + Polestar
Yelper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2020, 13:52   #2
Adrian888

Yes, mine is the same (and similar car too).
Adrian888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2020, 14:23   #3
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Truvelo and Truvelo D are forward facing cameras so work in one direction, the reason for lines on both sides is that they can be swivelled round to face the opposite way. As long as you are driving away from it it doesn't register your speed. There is one near where I live on a Dual Carriageway (40mph), it is nearly always facing E., but every now and then I notice it has been turned to face W. I can't remember wether the alert works both ways, next time I go that way I will see if it registers both directions.
Old Dec 21st, 2020, 17:15   #4
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGMT View Post
Truvelo and Truvelo D are forward facing cameras so work in one direction, the reason for lines on both sides is that they can be swivelled round to face the opposite way. As long as you are driving away from it it doesn't register your speed. There is one near where I live on a Dual Carriageway (40mph), it is nearly always facing E., but every now and then I notice it has been turned to face W. I can't remember wether the alert works both ways, next time I go that way I will see if it registers both directions.
Is that definitely correct as I'm sure Truvelo based cameras work both ways, it's just in one direction you get the drivers face and the other way it's just like a Gatso, i.e. number plate only?

Unless it's model specific?

Happy to be proven wrong, certainly not an expert on speed cameras as a law abiding Volvo driver

Old Dec 21st, 2020, 17:22   #5
deepsix

I never go that fast in reverse

I'm a Hornithologist, I love exotic birds.
deepsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2020, 17:50   #6
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsix View Post
I never go that fast in reverse
Not even with the Polestar egging you on?

Old Dec 21st, 2020, 20:51   #7
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelper85 View Post
Is that definitely correct as I'm sure Truvelo based cameras work both ways, it's just in one direction you get the drivers face and the other way it's just like a Gatso, i.e. number plate only?

Unless it's model specific?

Happy to be proven wrong, certainly not an expert on speed cameras as a law abiding Volvo driver
It would appear you are correct Yelper, these new D Cam's can indeed work both ways at the same time. Things seem to have moved on since the old Truvelos'.

I went past the one near me recently and noticed it had been turned round to the other carriageway, the alert worked in both directions. One thing I have noticed is the system is very hit and miss, sometimes you can pass a camera without it being picked up, so no audible warning, but you can see it marked on the sat.nav.

Might be of interest :-

Truvelo.pdf
Old Dec 22nd, 2020, 11:58   #8
Yelper85

Quote:
It would appear you are correct Yelper, these new D Cam's can indeed work both ways at the same time. Things seem to have moved on since the old Truvelos'.

I went past the one near me recently and noticed it had been turned round to the other carriageway, the alert worked in both directions. One thing I have noticed is the system is very hit and miss, sometimes you can pass a camera without it being picked up, so no audible warning, but you can see it marked on the sat.nav.

Might be of interest :-

Attachment 132315
Interesting that yours chimes in both directions with one camera. I assume that's one of the older type as well?

Most of the cameras I pass are in pairs but only get one chime and if in the direction of travel so I'm very intrigued by this.

I've never had the sat-nav miss one yet (as far as I know!) but then again I've not taken the car out anywhere yet where I don't know all the speed cameras, so could just be a case of when, not if. Makes you wonder why though if the map knows it's there . . .

I also wish the symbol for the speed camera was displayed in the main screen and the instrument display as it only shows the symbol if on the navigation screen. Yes it chimes, but if you miss that a visual indication in the instrument cluster could save your bacon (plus for ages I didn't have a clue what the chime was every time I drove by particular places! )

Good read that link you sent as well

Last edited by Yelper85; Dec 22nd, 2020 at 12:04.
Old Dec 22nd, 2020, 18:06   #9
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Yes, it is one of the older generations of Truvelo, sited on a dual carriageway, in the central reservation, maybe why it recognises the camera in both directions.

I regularly travel the A1079 which is plagued by a plethora of Average Speed cams; so tonight I paid a bit of attention to what was happening with the camera warnings. From the start the nav showed every camera but no warnings were given even though the option was selected in Sensus. On the A1079 there is a short stretch of dual carriageway with a camera at each end before it reverts back to single carriageway, a few days ago I would get a warning for the first camera but not the second, tonight not a squeak, likewise the aforementioned Truvelo always gave a chime, but not tonight. Modern technology Eh; glad I don't rely on it.

On the new Sensus it does show a camera symbol in the driver display, that is when the system decides to work as intended.
Old Dec 22nd, 2020, 19:59   #10
Yelper85

Quote:
Yes, it is one of the older generations of Truvelo, sited on a dual carriageway, in the central reservation, maybe why it recognises the camera in both directions.

I regularly travel the A1079 which is plagued by a plethora of Average Speed cams; so tonight I paid a bit of attention to what was happening with the camera warnings. From the start the nav showed every camera but no warnings were given even though the option was selected in Sensus. On the A1079 there is a short stretch of dual carriageway with a camera at each end before it reverts back to single carriageway, a few days ago I would get a warning for the first camera but not the second, tonight not a squeak, likewise the aforementioned Truvelo always gave a chime, but not tonight. Modern technology Eh; glad I don't rely on it.

On the new Sensus it does show a camera symbol in the driver display, that is when the system decides to work as intended.
Single camera in the central reservation. Now that would make sense!

As to why it doesn't chime the other times, who knows. What if you try unselecting then reselecting the option?