Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T8 mpg

Views : 6843

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 20th, 2016, 08:53   #31
Deman77
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezza View Post
Oops, I do about 30k a year mainly on the motorway.
It would still act as a hybrid when battery is drained. You will recover some kinetic energy from breaking. You can learn to drive it smart and can beat the petrol or even diesel I am sure. Read up on hypermiling techniques for hybrids . I could push my Prius from mid 40s to high 60s by consciously doing all those things with very little impact on travel times. It can be good fun trying to squeeze those extra mpg out of a hybrid.

I don't think draining half the battery in pure mode at the start of a long journey is optimal. You should be able to figure out a "pulsing" method whereby your high energy phases (acceleration and hill climbing) use petrol and on flat bits and steady speed you just keep nudging it with electric 5-7mph higher and then coast back down. With Prius you have to do it with zero sum as battery is low capacity. With PHEV you should be able to do it by slowly draining the battery since you have so much to start with and you have a lot more margin for error or it will negate the extra drag. I am certain you can really get this thing to high mpg if you set your mind on it.

Obviously you can do all the drafting behind lorries nonsense but that improves mpg on any car so it's cheating. It is a lot more efficient with hybrids though due to being able to keep engine shut down as each of your nudges lasts a lot longer due to lower drag.
Deman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2016, 09:32   #32
FooMan
First time Volvo owner

I was quite pleased with this recent trip as reported by the VoC Windows App...

T8 mpg.jpg

Last edited by FooMan; May 20th, 2016 at 10:26.
FooMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FooMan For This Useful Post:
Old May 25th, 2016, 21:36   #33
apocz
Volvo virgin

The economy on mine has been steadily improving. I've now done nearly 8000 miles and on my frequent 120 mile trip to Worcester (starting with a full battery) I'm now getting between 37 and 38.5mpg. (@75mph average)

If I push "harder" I generally end up with a minimum of 28.5mpg.
apocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2016, 12:54   #34
adrien

At the 2,000 mile mark we have achieved 51 mpg, or 61 in Imperial.

That's with charging every night, almost all short routes below 40 miles.
adrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2016, 15:28   #35
yeoman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooMan View Post
I was quite pleased with this recent trip as reported by the VoC Windows App...

Attachment 95999
If your VOC wore pants, the flames emanating from them would be visible from the moon.

Last edited by yeoman; May 27th, 2016 at 15:30.
yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2016, 11:35   #36
Polite

Ive had my T8 since January. Certainly the whole hybrid thing is an education (i run a business with several hybrid cars on the fleet, and the experince is the same no matter which make or model it is). It suits a certain type of driver and travel circumstance. If you make a daily commute within 20 miles and can charge at home and at work, then it can be weeks before you have to splosh any fuel in the tank. I work 21 miles from home. 65% of that journey is on the motorway. I run the car in Pure mode which takes a bit of getting used to but does extend the battery charge. I also knock the gear knob into 'b', giving the charge on downhill and braking an extra boost as any trickle back into the battery is a good thing. What is most important is the speed and weight of acceleration you employ when driving. Previously I was a fast motorway driver but i have to say the preoccupation of getting the most miles out of my T8 has almost become a game now with a buzz for getting a high score! The knack is keeping the speed down so you keep the electrics engaged and only use the ICE when you really need it (accelerating onto the motorway, steep hills etc). If i have a couple of weeks in the office and general bimbling around from home and reset the clock i can elevate the mileage to about 100mpg (95-105 depending). More mixed local area driving gives me 65mpg over a longer period. But... If i then take a trundle down to Cornwall, that figure drops like a stone and the small tank suddenly need a lot of refilling!

Bottom line is, any plug-in hybrid is only going to show you running cost savings if you apply it to the type of use that suits it. High mileage, long distance drivers just aren't going to see any real benefit over a diesel (quite possibly the reverse). But if you have a relatively short commute, can charge at both ends, and long journeys are the exception, then hydrids can deliver in spades.

Personally i get a mixed bag but as its a company car, and we generate our own electricity too, its still a no brainer for me and the car itself is superb.
Polite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Polite For This Useful Post: