Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Click noise when I brake on low speed

Views : 805

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 4th, 2022, 18:24   #1
passenger
Master Member

Default Click noise when I brake on low speed

As I say in title. Especially im reverse when I drive, I brake and there is a louder click. Also in curve at low speed happen if I brake. I dont understand where is from coming. It's sure from front of car.

Before I reassembly brakes, I want to here on what I need to pay attention also.
passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2022, 19:22   #2
monkeh
Pain in the backside

Is the disc securing screw loose? Loose caliper? Bad lip on disc? Driveshaft? What sort of click? Dull body type or metallic?

'09 XC70 SE - 2" lift, D5 225bhp, poverty spec
'18 V60 Twin Engine R Design - 290bhp

monkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2022, 19:28   #3
BigGreenThing

I had this noise or "click" recently whilst braking. Only at slow speeds (in forward motion mainly). No sound at all above about 25 mph.

My front brake pads were really running "quite low" and I guess they shifted ever so slightly in the calliper. Didn't affect braking. And discs were fine.

CHEAP: I tried brake/copper lubricant (I forget its name), see if that eased it. It didn't.

LESS CHEAP: I had pads replaced...that cured it!

If it's anything to do with brakes/steering/suspension - I tend to nail it. For safety reasons really.
Old Jul 4th, 2022, 20:20   #4
Pidgeonpost
Master Member

I've had similar, usually (e.g.) when stopping, reversing, and then applying the brakes again. In my case it was just the pads readjusting themselves in the carriers, and there was no adverse effect on braking.
The last time I had a CV joint failing (a l-o-n-g time ago) it was easily identified by driving very slowly on full lock, first one lock then the other, when there was a very characteristic regular click-click-click.
The only lubricant I've used on the back of brake pads, carriers, and pins has been Coppaslip, a copper-based grease. I understand that there's a ceramic grease of some sort available these days, but the tub of Coppaslip I have has lasted 20+ years at least. Very good for any fasteners exposed to the elements.
I was told off for using a smidge on wheel bolts as my wheels would fall off. Still waiting.
Old Jul 4th, 2022, 21:44   #5
passenger
Master Member

Thanks guys for effort

It's more metal sound. Not rough. But I feel on pedal. It' happen since I changed pads. I use ATE.
After 2-3kkm starts with that.

I remove and reinstall pads few times soon after changing, because in corner at low speed car was braking or driving in reverse also.

I lubricated pins and after I contact Volvo service, I remove all grease (once I used ceramic, second time silicon grease and both times same: after short time selfbraking at low speed while cornernig). I remove grease and it was okay some time.

I use torque specs, so probably nothing is loose there.
Also antiroll bar link is damaged. I thought maybe that makes noise but not sure. I tried to chamge but I could not remove it. After I asked some independent volvo mech, he said both front wheels needs to be lifted.

What I can do: I can try with original pads maybe? I really have need that my car is in top shape. Also wife is pregnant. No risk there also.

Also I bought Volvo grease. Just to be sure. I lubricated pads also and part of caliper carrier where pads are sliding. I cleaned it good and lubricated.
Old Jul 5th, 2022, 10:02   #6
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Quote:
It' happen since I changed pads.
Probably a vital piece of evidence not mentioned in the first post!

Are the new pads OEM Volvo? If not, and you really worry about safety issues, change them for genuine Volvo pads and see if that stops the noise.
Old Jul 5th, 2022, 11:11   #7
BigGreenThing

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
Probably a vital piece of evidence not mentioned in the first post!

Are the new pads OEM Volvo? If not, and you really worry about safety issues, change them for genuine Volvo pads and see if that stops the noise.
Yes, I'd agree with OEM pads purchase too. I seem to recall the mechanics referencing a "clip" (didn't specify, what or where).

May have been one of these possibly: https://usparts.volvocars.com/p/Volv.../30671546.html. Maybe check your set up and see if they have this clip installed?

So, to run through this logically:

- the click occurs slow speeds (sub 30mph) and ONLY on braking?
- either forward or reverse?
- happens when you're moving in a (slow) straight line, or when you turn the steering?
- is it like a "TOCK" sound?
- are the pads OEM stock?

And finally....good luck on impending fatherhood! You will soon be driving that Volvo quite differently with a newborn!
Old Jul 6th, 2022, 14:03   #8
passenger
Master Member

Thanks for answers

Well 2 years ago I bought V70 like I knew I will met my wife and have kid 2y later haha

I would say ONLY when I brake. Low speed, especially in cornerning and every single time in reverse driving. Also when I start driving car in reverse, after sitting a while, I drive in reverse slowly and press 3-4 times brake and every time there is middle loudneas click (or tock) and after 4-5.times it's stoped.

Now I'm on airport. After vacation I will order original front pads and those two anti rattle clips. Maybe I strached them while I remove them few times.

I bought lifters and rockers and few morw stuff, made a deal with Volbo mech in my hometown where I'm spending vacation. Few days ago he called me and said there is too much to do and he doesn't want to change it. Parts I send back and I bought tickets for airplane. I wanted to drive 1300km eith car just to do everything on car + double check all. But asshole said: too much work for changing that

Last edited by passenger; Jul 6th, 2022 at 14:09.
Old Jul 6th, 2022, 14:17   #9
TeamG
Master Member

I had a V50 years ago and when I bought it, I saw the front pads were quite low and asked the garage to change them. They changed the original Volvo pads for cheap aftermarket ones and a couple of weeks after picking the car up I noticed this mild ‘clunk’ every time I braked, which I didn’t feel on the test drive. This actually only started approx 600 miles into a round France trip, so quite disconcerting whilst on hols.

Anyway, when I got back I suspected the pads so bought some genuine Volvo ones. These were approx 0.5mm bigger in the long direction, so I suspect the aftermarket ones were just clunking around in the space in the calipers. Never had a problem since, but avoid non-genuine pads now as a rule.
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2022, 14:31   #10
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

The Ticking,

1 - Stone between the disc & backing shield,

2 - Stone in tyre,

3 - Brake ABS pump,
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote