Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New 2012 XC90 Questions

Views : 1393

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 1st, 2012, 02:25   #1
Niksan

Default New 2012 XC90 Questions

Dear all,

Please let me apologise in advance for the simplicity of these questions!

I am currently in Malaysia and will soon receive an XC90 which is being imported from Sweden. It is Asian spec but does come with active bending lights etc.

I have read the manual in detail but I'm still confused about a few things and have no access to my XC90 to check them out:

1) How do the different controls for the headlights work? Do the headlights come on automatically in poor lighting? Someone said to leave the light switch on the third (end) setting at all times (automatic dipped beam), even during the day. Is that right? When the DRLs are on and the light switch is on the end position, do the lights switch from DRLs to main lights depending on the lighting? I'm sure I'm making this more confusing than it is...

2) The manual suggests that two presses of the tailgate button on the remote unlocks and opens the tailgate but this isn't in the quick guide. Does this still work for the 2012 model?

3) The car comes with a load protection net (presumably for use when the third seats are up and without the load cover?). Is the grocery bag holder a useful accessory that would be worth purchasing separately?

Many thanks in advance.

Nik
Niksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 18:55   #2
ChrisE
Volvo Owner Since 1990

I have a 2011 model but I think the answers will be the same.

1. This might well be country specific but my head lights are on all the time unless I turn on side lights which turns them off!

2. I have also been wondering about this. My tailgate does NOT open with a second push - although I wonder if it should.

3.The grocery bag holder is just a thin flap that folds up from the floor & makes a three sided box accross the back 30cm or so of the car. I actually find it very useful for constraining shopping from demolishing the car -particularily melons! Mine came as standard but I seem to remember thinking the option price was ridiculous for a 30cm x 1200cm (very approx) bit of carpet covered something (plywood?), a couple of clip hinges and two short lengths of elastic.
ChrisE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 19:16   #3
Ian H

1) On our 2012 model the lights work as follows:

position 1: (what would normally be the 'off' position) the DRL's are on - these are separate LED lights under the front bumper (look a bit like spotlights). No tail-lights.

position 2: side lights (a small separate section within the headlights), together with the tail-lights.

position 3: normal headlights and tail-lights. You can, if you wish, turn on the DRL's instead of the normal headlights and this uses less energy (and saves fuel) apparantly.

2) Tailgate - I've not tried this - I'll give it a go.

3) Grocery bad holder - as ChrisE says, a flap that folds up and effectively reduces the size of the boot and stops everything rolling around (the flap also has an elastic strap to retain grocery bags).
The load protection net is a separate item that you fix into the luggage area somehow - not tried it yet and to be honest, it looks a bit too much trouble.

Hope this helps,
Ian
Ian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 20:03   #4
Blaven11

2) Tailgate - I've not tried this - I'll give it a go.

Funny, as I had enquired about the tailgate lock myself on another thread as using the key fob once does unlock it but using the fob twice does NOT open it.

I am lead to believe in the UK market this feature does not work/ is not an option whereas in other markets (possibly yours), it does.
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 20:09   #5
Ian H

Just tried ours and the remote definitely doesn't open the tailgate, however many times you press it.
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 13:50   #6
Niksan

Many thanks for your replies. Ian, just to confirm that you leave it on the 'off' position during the day and obviously switch the lights to the 'end' position in the evenings? I could be mistaken but I thought there was a light sensor that would activate the headlights during the day if the light was poor?

Thanks also for confirming that the double press doesn't work. An error in the manual perhaps?
Niksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 19:42   #7
Ian H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niksan View Post
Many thanks for your replies. Ian, just to confirm that you leave it on the 'off' position during the day and obviously switch the lights to the 'end' position in the evenings? I could be mistaken but I thought there was a light sensor that would activate the headlights during the day if the light was poor?

Thanks also for confirming that the double press doesn't work. An error in the manual perhaps?
Yes, leave in the 'off' position during the day and the DRL's are permanently on, no sensor required - it's a Volvo thing!

Yes, an error in the manual I suspect.

Tags
2012, drl, headlights, tailgate, xc90