Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S80 T6 2003 misfire

Views : 512

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 14th, 2016, 09:54   #1
RNOFD2509

Thumbs up S80 T6 2003 misfire

Hello all,

So I've had my S80 around 4 months, 3 of those trying to sort the transponder chip issue.... which I'm glad to to say, I did, without paying main dealer prices.

So I went to pickup the car, from my man who fixed it. After jump starting all was good, until...... I pulled away, the ABS came on. First problem....

I stop for a brew at my dads house on the way home.

On restart, still had ABS light on, then after about 100 metres down the road EML came on and car misfired.....

I guess most will say get the codes read.....but I do t want to spend a fortune on it. ( If any one is in the Ripon area help would be most appreciated)

But advice on where to start, or what could be the issues would be most helpful.

Car was stood for around 6 weeks after repair had taken place.

Should I check the plugs first?

Any comments or slating appreciated.......( get a match......)

Cheers Rich.
RNOFD2509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2016, 18:38   #2
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Default Get'er charged up and buy a code reader

Having to have a car jump started points to a faulty building block of modern society...a weak battery or charging system or both.

Advice on where to start, you ask?
Make dead certain your battery is up to snuff. Have it charged it out of the car and tested..replaced if necessary then have the charging system checked out. That can be done right after the battery is reinstalled. This is a BIG and UNAVOIDABLE first step with today's cars.

Get a code reader of decent quality. At the rate you're going you'll have it paid for in no time at all.

Assuming the ABS code returns:
Inspect each wheel's lugs for tightness. Any wobbling can result in a code.
Inspect the ABS lead wires for damage.
Inspect the ABS notched wheels for presence and freedom of cracks.
All of this involves raising the wheel and removing it. Are you up to this?
I'm not certain how often ABS codes are "wheel specific".

A code reader can identify the cylinder involved in a misfire scenario and this information eases diagnosis.

EXAMPLE: P0300 is a general misfire code. P0301 through P0305 indicates cylinders 1 through 5 respectively.

Should, say, you get a P0302 code you can easily swap the coil between any other cylinder (select #5 for this example) and that of cylinder #2. If the next misfire code you get is P0305 you can conclude it was the coil as the problem traveled with the relocated coil to cylinder #5.

You always clear codes and make a note of how long it takes for them to return.
You clear codes before you do the example operation above so you're starting with a clean slate.

If you do not buy a code reader you're damning yourself to a life of paying for this simple service on top of any repairs you cannot perform yourself.

If you cannot grasp what I'm saying you're already damned. Happy Christmas, Kira
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2016, 09:04   #3
RNOFD2509

Many thanks, greatly appreciated. 👍
RNOFD2509 is offline   Reply With Quote