Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Please I need help my car is whistleing!

Views : 2957

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 21st, 2016, 20:08   #31
happy diver
Active Member Moment

What, did you put a mirror down the plug hole
The interference isn't obvious until the belt is busted
Despite auxiliary and cam belt servicing schedules
I change things as I feel they are required and that's just
a feeling with some inspection
Water pump, change it or not???? Who knows????
I've got one set of belts and tensioners that fit two cars
sitting in a box waiting in case I get posessed by feelings
Hey yesterday I was checking the V40 2.0 in preparation
for ordering another box of parts and remembered the
aux tensioner had not been changed when the previous owner had the belts done.
So on schedule the cam belt idler tensioner and aux belt were done
but not the water pump nor aux tensioner.
Whereas C70 far less Kms, all new inc SKF water pump but again no aux tensioner.
Oh yeah you must check the alternator pulley pop off the cover and look for dry rusty dust
or wet if it's been CRCd then change it
Oh yeah fingernail across the plastic aux tensioner pulley, any groves, no good.
do not buy just a pulley, Buy the unit whole.

Enough blah blah blah I hope I'm talking about the right car
Volvo parts. pah????
The pump is AISIN, pulleys INA, belts CONTI
Have a poke around that website

Hate to say it, love to do it, but I'm about to make up yesterdays hour now
and head off to that place again
great group here, except

With a name like caroleuk you must be Polish

a cams lockerupperer you need to do the vvt but not just the belts.
When you do the VVT get cam seals

20,000 leagues under the sea diving to adventure
in a silent world with my ceiling the waves...Emile
happy diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2016, 21:01   #32
Caroleuk

No not a mirror, I had the inlet manifold off and had a look at the valve stems and judging by the angle and with a little imagination about the piston position While I had the plugs out it did look as though it could be non interference, which would be nice. But obviously one cannot tell from that so I thought I would ask as it's nice to know.
I did have 245 years ago and the cam belt went at the toll gate at the Dartford tunnel, got towed to the car park and found that it was a cam bearing cap that has dried out due to blocked oil way, cleaned it up with a bit emery cloth and some petrol, put a new cam belt on and drove it home.
OK it took two day's but it was in a car park 40 miles from home, but I was amazed that it could be done! The car went on for several years before she had a decent end after several stock car race wins by the new owner after me.

That's when I started to love Volvo's indestructible back then.

Looks like a nice beach BTW
Caroleuk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caroleuk For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2016, 21:56   #33
canis
Non Fragile

Well, my phase 1 1600 twin OHC 'i' engine (prob'ly same as yours) most definately will contact if the timing is off far enough. I don't know how far off you'd need to be, it's not something I really want to find out. But that's why the timing mark on the bottom pulley is there - to put all the pistons half-way up/down in their cylinders. At that point (ninety degrees after (I think!) top dead centre) no interference will occur no matter how much you twizzle the camshafts.

Be aware (as that diving fellow makes the point above) that if you take off a pulley without locking the camshafts in position you risk losing the fine timing point,. Although the belt is on and the marks line up on the pulleys, the pulleys have some play in their oval-shaped holes.

In practice it is possible to time the engine without a locking tool in place, but it's definately a stupid idea to try. I had no choice. And I'm stupid. But I got away with it (mostly by putting the bolts back exactly where they came from - your engine may not be as rusty as mine so this might be a bit difficult, especially if it's wiggled this way and that rubbing off the patina as it does so).

Basically, as soon as you slacken the bolts holding the pulley in place, the timing mark on the pulley must be doubted, and to trust it blindly is to invite poor running, and even disaster.

Best just to obtain a tool. I, alas, lack such financial clout. But that's a lifestyle choice, or so Cameron has failed to convince me. I make up for it in resourcefullness and cunning - such is The Way of the Anarcho Suburban Guerilla Survivalist. You'd think I'd give it all up and settle for a quiet life in the suburbs, work all day, hoover out the pre-requisite "BMW anything-i" on saturday mornings... I tried... I really tried... but I led a different life.

What a strangely wonderful (and wonderfully strange) community we have here! I bet none of us would give each other the time of day normally. But our Volvo's unite us, for some daft reason I'm still trying to fathom. Thanks to Volvo we can be truly classless, sat behind the anonymity of a computer keyboard.

Man, really rattling some morse tonight. Must be lonely or something. Flying to the sun, sweet caroline, sweet caroline, sweet caroline. Good night, and God bless. Canis, out.

Last edited by canis; Oct 21st, 2016 at 21:59. Reason: Because I can do random posting too, but then, I've never swam with jellyfish! :-)
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to canis For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2016, 23:18   #34
Caroleuk

Hi, Canis.
I have already done the VVT and the cam I was just asking the question as it's a long since I have had a Volvo, I do have a locking tool, even though like you Mr Cameron AND Mr Smith and co have done there best to finish me off, I have made it a priority when ever I can to buy tools when I see them at a good price (and I have the money)!
Having said that you have given some good advice there all I would add is to replace the tensioner and the idler pulley at the same time (water pump if it's leaking or has been on there for a long time)
Quote "I bet none of us would give each other the time of day normally" not my style I always have time for people, and always happy to help if I can.
Before the rolls was stolen we used to take children from the local hospice for picnics in the car. Fantastic to see there faces light up if only for a few hours.

If you are in my area and you need to borrow a tool not a problem just bring it back clean is all I ask
Old Oct 22nd, 2016, 05:48   #35
canis
Non Fragile

Ah, that's lovely. Thank you so much, consider the offer returned. You see what this place does for us?! Bet you wouldn't get this on a BMW site:

*shimmering cut to dream sequence*
"Does anyone know how to split the spring collet from the rear drivers side gudgeon king pin without wrecking the crown wheel bleed nipple?"
"Yes"
"Who? Pleeeeeeeeze help URGENT"
"Your mum."
*shimmers back to reality*

I have a thing for the words "bleed nipple", just had to get that in there. I also have a thing for Royce Rollers, especially the Shadow MkII. I just love that chain tensioner on the window winders - everything is just so over-engineerd! They're wonderfull machines.

So if I ever find myself in diss, stuck at the side of the road in a cloud of steam billowing out as juggernauts speed noisilly by, I'll be sure to pop round for a half-inch spanner. :-)

Man, if I don't get some sleep soon I'll be useless tomorrow. I mean today. As I write, the piercing shrill of a nearby siren is keeping me awake. I bet if it was heavy metal the cops would be round like lightning, but this 'orrible noise somehow escapes the law

And Justice For All. Yeah, baby! Irony AND references to popular culture! Man, I'm firing tonight!

Eyes are rolling. That's it! I'm definately going back to bed. Sleep, perchance to think a lot until toilet/tea/cigarette needs force me to abandon the idea. How about some toast, perhaps that'll settle me. And a game of Candy Crush Saga. Might as well check the volvo forum while I'm waiting for the tea to cool ... uh oh, he's at it again - typing twaddle late into the early hours.

Zzzz Zzzz Zzzz
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to canis For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 25th, 2016, 00:26   #36
Caroleuk

OK, so you asked and I deliver.

As requested more pictures of the rolls showing some of the damage and parts of the restoration (we got so involved with what we were doing at times we forgot to take pictures )
Also some pictures of the finished article (well almost something like this is never finished)

Just so as not to confuse this thread for other who may be interested I have posted it in the lounge under the title or "my other cars a Volvo"

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...50#post2185650

Or follow the thread above
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caroleuk For This Useful Post:

Tags
engine noise, oil seperator, part number, pcv, s40