Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

145 Auction - Help

Views : 7639

Replies : 68

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 17th, 2022, 21:58   #11
ITSv40
VOC Member

Having had two 145's back in the day, that does look a nice example.

I think the most interesting thing is the provenance - where would you find another example with that detailed history from near new? In the classic world history is everything and cannot be legitimately remanufactured and will always attract a premium.

When I bought my 20 year old Silver Cloud it had complete history from day one, there was even a copy of an internal memo from the sales department to all manufacturing departments, to the effect that they were to take extra care in assembly, as the customer had complained of 'rattles' in his previous Bentley. The last line of the memo was a slightly derogatory, 'the customer seems particularly sensitive to rattles'. I owned it for 33 years and kept a detailed file in the manner of the Volvo history and was a strong selling point when I came to sell. One can spend money restoring a car without history and it will remain a restored car without history. Spending money on something such as the Volvo to improve it will result in a good car with history and will always be more attractive.

Coming back to the Volvo: the scuttle rust will need dealing with and will be a windscreen out to do it properly - the windscreen is bonded in the later models, as that is. Although the 145 was never the most refined car, I agree the engine does sound like ' a bag of spanners on speed'. it may just be how the recording has picked it up, but it does sound rough. The rear seat is an added bonus and it does seem like a sound project to start with.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2022, 23:57   #12
Steve 940
Premier Member

Many thanks ITSv40,

Indeed, the history and paper trail on this one is very compelling.

I'm in a dilemma, and feel mechanical issues can be relatively easily sorted, but my only niggle is that rust bubble on the lower screen corner. I joined the forum around a year ago just prior to me entering Volvo ownership, and a recurring mention from forum members of issues on 140's, 240's etc do mention scuttle trouble.

I think I might have to reschedule my planned work for Friday and have a look in person.

Think I might need to curtail my 'just looking at cars on t'internet' as it just gets you not a whole load of trouble, but then again, where would you find another??

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2022, 06:18   #13
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Many thanks ITSv40,

I'm in a dilemma, and feel mechanical issues can be relatively easily sorted, but my only niggle is that rust bubble on the lower screen corner. I joined the forum around a year ago just prior to me entering Volvo ownership, and a recurring mention from forum members of issues on 140's, 240's etc do mention scuttle trouble.

I think I might have to reschedule my planned work for Friday and have a look in person.

Think I might need to curtail my 'just looking at cars on t'internet' as it just gets you not a whole load of trouble, but then again, where would you find another??

Cheers
Steve
Very interesting. Let us know how you get on at the auction.

:-)
Old Aug 18th, 2022, 07:48   #14
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Many thanks ITSv40,

Cheers
Steve
Sensible to see and hear in person. I think that is the only way to proceed. The rust may be just surface rust - it has stood in a dry garage for 30 years which is so different to being under a tatty tarpaulin out in the open. It will be a screen out job at the bare minimum.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2022, 08:11   #15
Steve 940
Premier Member

Hi Alan,

Yes, I will need to make a decision, hoping to speak to them today, and I will indeed update the outcome on here.

Really undecided, could be a good project for you, but then I recalled your policy of no estates😀

Cheers
Steve
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2022, 08:15   #16
Steve 940
Premier Member

Hi ITSv40

Once again many thanks, no previous experience with 140's, assuming the scuttle needs the screen out, i think you mentioned it would be bonded in, is this a realistic diy possibility? as I dare say chrome screen trims are no longer available, and chances of getting the originals out unscathed, I'm fearing would be very slim.

Cheers
Steve
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2022, 09:49   #17
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Hi ITSv40

Once again many thanks, no previous experience with 140's, assuming the scuttle needs the screen out, i think you mentioned it would be bonded in, is this a realistic diy possibility? as I dare say chrome screen trims are no longer available, and chances of getting the originals out unscathed, I'm fearing would be very slim.

Cheers
Steve
The scree trim is just clipped in around the screen, so no great problem, but the glass is bonded in the modern manner. It would need removing, which could be done with a hammer, but you would need the new screen professionally installed. I'm not sure on the chances of getting the old screen out in one piece - I suspect pretty slim. Early 145 had conventional rubber seals and can be fitted with a piece of string and fairy liquid.

It will all depend on how bad the rust is and how good and permanent job you would want to do to deal with it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2022, 10:05   #18
Steve 940
Premier Member

That’s great, much appreciated, thank you.

Cheers
Steve
Old Aug 18th, 2022, 13:22   #19
Derek UK
VOC Member

Stowmarket to Kings Lynn - 57miles. Ring in sick!
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2022, 14:25   #20
Steve 940
Premier Member

Trouble is, I'd have to ring myself as self employed.

Just spoken with auction house, and discussed vehicle further, and whilst they would not confirm reserve figure, they did advise a commission bid would need to be at the estimated range £7 - £9k.......

After sleeping on it last night, my initial excitement has been tempered somewhat, it already has a colour mismatch on nsf wing, so by the time you then effect a proper screen out scuttle repair, there would no doubt be a further mismatch.

I could quite easily see myself with my OCD tendencies, then wanting to look at a full glass out, and body stripped restoration and fully respray.

My ideal colour would have been a midnight/navy blue, with red interior, so whilst a respray would allow this, it then destroys the history of this vehicle that accounts for the cost.

Oh well, Now I'm considering registering to bid online, so would need to pay holding deposit, and hope bidding stays low, as if it got to £5k ish I think I'd take a punt on it, if it goes to estimate levels, then nothing lost.

Always assuming one doesn't get auction fever

Cheers
Steve

Last edited by Steve 940; Aug 18th, 2022 at 14:50.