Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

selling a car with finance on it.

Views : 1457

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 25th, 2013, 15:30   #21
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

1) Check with the finance company - as long as they are paid off they might not mind
2) There could be penalties so make sure you are aware of any.
3) Check how they want to be paid off.
4) Ultimately up to them.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ninja59 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 16:19   #22
Daim
Brit in Germany

Hmm, can't you not simply "pass the financing" on to someone else? That works here, if the financial check you do first proves that the future "buyer" is worthy.

That way the finance company doesn't lose out, you don't lose out and you get rid of the car without any extra costs...

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 21:40   #23
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daim View Post
Hmm, can't you not simply "pass the financing" on to someone else?
^^^^ Generally not over here.

@ Ian

A quick point - have you checked your terms and conditions to see exactly what type of agreement you have? It may be the case you do not have HP, It may be the case the debt is not registered to the car. When you make your final payment is there an 'acceptance' fee.

You could also do an HP check to see what that comes up with as well.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 21:50   #24
ian7675

Well the cars details are all over it and there is an "arrangement fee"?

Edit: sorry, it's an acceptance fee as you said.

Last edited by ian7675; Feb 25th, 2013 at 21:52.
ian7675 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ian7675 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 22:46   #25
S60 PNV
VOC Member

The car I nearly bought before I got the one I now have, caused me to come across all this stuff.

The seller had not disclosed to me the car had outstanding finance. For that reason mostly, I walked away. I think he was just being a bit dim rather than trying to rip me off but there were other factors that put me off too.

You do not own the car if it has outstanding finance on it. The V5C can be in your name, yes. but you don't own, the Finance company do.

The Correct thing to do, I believe, is to call the Finance company, ask them for a Settlement figure (to pay off the Finance in full immediately).

You get a paper copy of that from the Finance company, show that to the potential buyer and tell them that if they agree to buy, they Pay X to the Finance company and Y to you. It's all very transparent and honest, then.

So if you owe £1500 on it and it's worth £4000, you only get £2500 and the new owner pays the £1500 to the Finance company directly.

The Finance Company then have no interest in the vehicle, you get a bit of money, new Owner gets a car entirely finance free from the moment you give them the keys.

MY06 S60 SE, Facelift with Euro3 D5244T (163) Engine (odd one)
S60 PNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 23:01   #26
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian7675 View Post
Well the cars details are all over it and there is an "arrangement fee"?

Edit: sorry, it's an acceptance fee as you said.
Looks like it is some form of HP then and is secured . Some loans provided by finance houses are not actually secured as some peope think The issue is that the finance house likes the customer to think it is sometimes, when its not. Looks like you will have to either pay off prior to selling or negotiate the matter with the finance co, if you wish to sell earlier.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 10:54   #27
ian7675

I've just called the finance company and they said they are happy for me to sell the car. They said the new buyer must ring up and clear the remainder and I asked them could they take the full payment and reimburse myself with what's left, that too is fine. I'm going to think about it some more and if I do I will have to start getting it ready for selling. It needs a new leather drivers seat as there is a hole and a new droplink and its perfect. Thanks for the advice you've all given me about this, it's been a massive help.
ian7675 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ian7675 For This Useful Post: