Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What are the best tyres to put on an XC90?

Views : 818910

Replies : 1193

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 8th, 2014, 17:53   #641
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillberry View Post
Just had to change my tyres and now have a set of grabber at's fitted .
Quick question what tyre pressure do most of you have as found that the eco pressure setting of 39psi seems best the 32psi seems to make the car soggy in corners ?
Eco, for me .... tbh, doesnt impact comfort imo.
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TruckbusUK For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 11th, 2014, 12:32   #642
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Just had to change my tyres and now have a set of grabber at's fitted .
Quick question what tyre pressure do most of you have as found that the eco pressure setting of 39psi seems best the 32psi seems to make the car soggy in corners ?
40 psi for me, for last eight years.

Always used Vredstien Wintrac 4 Extreme.
The Following User Says Thank You to RoyMacDonald For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 11th, 2014, 12:47   #643
gillberry
VOC Member

Hi Roy , had Grabbler UHP's on before and they performed well all weathers so hopefully these new At's will do as well if not better . I have always run 39psi since new but just thought I would check what others do .

1968 Amazon estate (Gracie).
2003 Vauxhall astra estate (her car)
2009 XC90 (Jo) .
Not forgetting 1967 Cheltenham Nyala (caravan)
gillberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2014, 18:12   #644
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Hi Roy , had Grabbler UHP's on before and they performed well all weathers so hopefully these new At's will do as well if not better . I have always run 39psi since new but just thought I would check what others do .
Good tyres. Just reading a tyre test review in the LRO magazine. http://www.4site4x4.co.uk/downloads.aspx
The Following User Says Thank You to RoyMacDonald For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 11th, 2014, 20:09   #645
gillberry
VOC Member

Hi Roy , I saw that review and although my xc90 will never really go off road a tyre that can perform when needed is much appreciated .

1968 Amazon estate (Gracie).
2003 Vauxhall astra estate (her car)
2009 XC90 (Jo) .
Not forgetting 1967 Cheltenham Nyala (caravan)
gillberry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gillberry For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 11:36   #646
ITServe
XC90 Exec in Grey Pearl

We've now had two sets of Roadian Nexxen all weather tyres - really very good with loads of tread depth, great grip and fantastic in snow or in the wet. They are also cheap - they say Mud and Snow on the side but are great on all roads all year round. The first set did 30,000 miles before they got down to 3mm anywhere.
ITServe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITServe For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2014, 09:26   #647
JimG
Premier Member

Default EU Tyre Label

I'm now looking to replace my Nokian WR G2 that have served me well over the last few years. I have got about 30K miles out of them, running them all year round at 38psi. The majority of my driving is commuting to work along country A-roads with a burst of motorway at the end. I would describe my driving style as...spirited/enthusiastic!

Looking at replacements, I don't think I can get a better tyre than the newer model, WR SUV 3.

Maybe...

I've been paying a lot of attention to the new EU tyre labels and getting quite anal about them. I've mainly been using this as a quick method of dismissing a tyre. However, I've just read on the Michelin website that the difference between a tyre rated A for fuel economy will save 80 litres of fuel OVER THE LIFE OF THE TYRE compared to a G rated tyre! Hardly a massive saving if there is a significant difference in cost between two tyres.

So, I'm now looking again at all the tyres that I instantly dismissed for not equalling or bettering the C - C - 72 rating that the WR SUV 3 tyre has.

Like the Falken Eurowinter HS449 (F - C - 71) I like Falken tyres, used to run them on my V70 T5 and always found them to perform very nicely. On Mytyres they are £98.10/tyre compared to £126.80/tyre for the Nokian. This saves £114.80 for four tyres! More than the cost of 80 litres of fuel.

Food for thought...

www.alignmycar.co.uk
www.rearfacing.co.uk
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JimG For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 20th, 2014, 02:58   #648
xco
Premier Member

I'm running my se lux at the recommended 31 psi on P zero rosso's at the moment(because I've just bought the car and they are on it) and I don't ever expect to go off-roading in it really but should I be running it at a higher PSI than reco'd? It does feel very sure footed and quiet at that pressure.

Interestingly I like the look of the P zero Verdi's as a possible choice for my next runners especially regarding the fact that they are listed as all season tyres and the euro ratings for them are quite favourable i.e. fuel efficiency quietness grip in wet and dry etc. and the price per corner on "my- tyres "is very good as well plus £9.00 per corner fitted.

Anybody else running these?
Wherever you go............There you are!!!
xco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2014, 07:53   #649
JimG
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xco View Post
I'm running my se lux at the recommended 31 psi on P zero rosso's at the moment(because I've just bought the car and they are on it) and I don't ever expect to go off-roading in it really but should I be running it at a higher PSI than reco'd? It does feel very sure footed and quiet at that pressure.

Interestingly I like the look of the P zero Verdi's as a possible choice for my next runners especially regarding the fact that they are listed as all season tyres and the euro ratings for them are quite favourable i.e. fuel efficiency quietness grip in wet and dry etc. and the price per corner on "my- tyres "is very good as well plus £9.00 per corner fitted.

Anybody else running these?
The reason many of us run our tyres at eco pressure is not only for better mpg, but by making the tyre harder, this helps prevent uneven tyre wear on the shoulders. If you have a look from the beginning you'll see there are a lot of complaints that XC90s get through tyres due to shoulder wear after very few miles.

See how you get on with the Pirelli's, if you like them and they wear well then keep them. I have read a review somewhere that the Verdi's were noisy, but can't remember where now, sorry.

www.alignmycar.co.uk
www.rearfacing.co.uk
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JimG For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 21st, 2014, 04:01   #650
xco
Premier Member

Thanks jimg I've just come from a v70 to the wonderful world of xc90 and am not yet familiar with the best tyres for 4x4s them being different beasts altogether than normal car tyres.
As I say the pirelli zero rossos are very quiet and sure footed but at least 2 of them were itemised on last mot to be replaced shortly so I thought I might try the verdys.
At present I am only returning 33.0 on a run. Will increased tyre pressure say to 40psi give a better return?
I am looking to achieve 40 -45mpg if poss. I am a gentle driver.
My s60 D5 se gave me 57mpg and my v70D5 se gave me 52mpg both fantastic returns for a big car.My volvo indie I go to told me it takes up nearly 60brake to run the 4x4 gear so I know I wont get any where nearthat on the xc90 but 40-45 would be good.
Wherever you go............There you are!!!
xco is offline   Reply With Quote