Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What are the best tyres to put on an XC90?

Views : 818231

Replies : 1193

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 13th, 2016, 17:46   #1041
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderBloke View Post
Hi All

New to the forum having just purchased my first XC90.. I have read at least 40 odd pages of this thread.. and searched..

I have been looking for tyre size upgrades on my current rim. I have the 17inch XC90 rim and they are currently fitted with end of life scorpions @ 235/65 r17..

Mine is a geartronic so the last thing I want to do is stress that too much.. or scrape inside the arches.. I am old school, Landcruiser/Shogun/Delica/Patrol where doing anything had little to no risk... My world has changed..

So, my old life is hard to shake and I would like to put a little more rubber down.... Anyone have any experience of running 245/65 r17? rolling diameter difference is just .5 of an inch.. 29.04 against 29.54..

Also, the Goodyear wrangler AT SA plus looks a good tyre, anyone have any experience of it?

I live out in the sticks and I need the XC90 to get me round the property...
Using that size on my XC60. Fine.

On the XC60 the biggest width that will fit is 255. Fitted to the R Design. It is fitted with a rubbing plate though on the front wheel arch.

Roy
Old Dec 13th, 2016, 22:24   #1042
xco
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckbusUK View Post
Don't forget the speed rating is only valid for 600 seconds at maximum before theoretical carcase failure, it does not mean that is the effective speed the tyre can be used at, its only the max before failure.

Its all been discussed/argued, disagreed before at length, along with insurance considerations, but thats all another can of worms
Agreed as above .....My point was he doesn't need a 'W' rated tyre.
Wherever you go............There you are!!!
xco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2017, 12:44   #1043
Faybo73

I have not long had fitted Avon new zx7 tires in 255/19 size and so far very happy with them. Previously I used Bridgestones and pirelli and prefer these. Even better I had the fitted by F1 autocentre for just over £180 for a pair.
Faybo73 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Faybo73 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 29th, 2017, 07:58   #1044
WirralNick

Default Pirelli scorpion verde

Had a mix of different tyres on the car, all down to 2mm. Replaced all 4 with Pirelli Scorpion Verde (235/16/R18). Maybe it's just the new tyre thing but the road holding is much improved. Light off road grass and mud also no problem.

Also looks better with the same tyres all round!!!
WirralNick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WirralNick For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 31st, 2017, 21:25   #1045
colinbos
2008 XC90 D5 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by WirralNick View Post
Had a mix of different tyres on the car, all down to 2mm. Replaced all 4 with Pirelli Scorpion Verde (235/16/R18). Maybe it's just the new tyre thing but the road holding is much improved. Light off road grass and mud also no problem.

Also looks better with the same tyres all round!!!

Where did you you buy them Nick ? Good Price ?
colinbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2017, 16:53   #1046
sibarr0290blue

Hi there, newbie alert!

I've had my XC90 D5 SE Premium Geartronic (MY2009) for a month now. Absolutely loving it.

I've just changed the fitted Scorpion Verdes for Michelin Crossclimate SUVs (235 60 18). I've only done 100 miles so far but my initial impression is that they are much quieter than the scorpions and having looked into them I'm hopeful that they will do a good job for me in most conditions.

I'll update once I've put a few thousand miles on them.
sibarr0290blue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sibarr0290blue For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 17th, 2017, 21:48   #1047
Xc90nutter

Hi teaboy,

I bought my xc90 with noisy scorpions on. Changed the fronts for Michelin sport latitude 3's which were quite quiet but only lasted 12k and weren't amazing in the wet. I recently put a full set of Avon zx7's on and so far I'm impressed. Good road holding in all conditions, less juddery on tight full lock and nice and quiet too. Great price I thought, £100 per corner, fitted from Asda tyres online. Hope that helps you and others.
Xc90nutter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Xc90nutter For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 12th, 2017, 23:05   #1048
Ovlovman

I've been putting Uniroyal RainSport's on my R-Design; reasonably cheap when you shop around (I get them for £117 inc vat, fitted, balanced etc) at my local independent tyre man.

XC seems to like these. Very quiet running, quite smooth, do get a little noisy towards the end of their life. Wet weather they are incredible, not bad across a muddy field either, but I wouldn't want to do anything above "green lane" off roading in them.

and best bit (I do circa 30-33k miles / year) swapping the tyres front to back every 6000 miles I saw nearly 25k from them, This includes towing an oversized horse trailer on a regular basis.
Ovlovman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ovlovman For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2017, 23:19   #1049
okedave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibarr0290blue View Post
Hi there, newbie alert!

I've had my XC90 D5 SE Premium Geartronic (MY2009) for a month now. Absolutely loving it.

I've just changed the fitted Scorpion Verdes for Michelin Crossclimate SUVs (235 60 18). I've only done 100 miles so far but my initial impression is that they are much quieter than the scorpions and having looked into them I'm hopeful that they will do a good job for me in most conditions.

I'll update once I've put a few thousand miles on them.

I use Cross Climates on my Seat Exeo and they have been absolutely incredible. The grip is outstanding in corners, in wet weather and muddy conditions and they slice through standing water like a hot knife through butter, noise levels are lower and I have managed to get 35K out of the first set. I'm disappointed not to have had any snow to try them out on yet though. Just bought my wife an XC90 so when the tyres that have come with it wear down I shall be putting cross climates on the Volvo too .
okedave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to okedave For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2017, 17:34   #1050
harvomark
Mitsideserter

Hi,

Just had Avon ZX7's all round, £101 per corner fitted and balanced. First impressions very quiet steering feels nice and precise, will report back once a few miles put on them.
harvomark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harvomark For This Useful Post: