Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fancy diesel?

Views : 1097

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 11th, 2016, 10:03   #1
TopSkateDog

Default Fancy diesel?

Anybody been using these, so called, "premium" versions of diesel (eg Shell V-Power)?

A friend who does a fair few miles in a diesel (not a Volvo) swears by it, so the back end of last week I thought I'd give it a go. So far I'd say it definitely seems to run a bit smoother and quieter, and so far the level doesn't seem to be dropping quite as quickly (implying slightly improved fuel economy).

The guy I know tracks his fuel economy, religiously, and he says the increased cost is easily offset by improvements in fuel economy, so cost per mile is favourable, plus he finds his car runs nicer on it.

Anybody else use it all the time?
TopSkateDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 10:20   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

Do we really need yet another thread on one of the most done to death subjects?

There's tons of opinion already out there.
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 10:27   #3
TopSkateDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Do we really need yet another thread on one of the most done to death subjects?

There's tons of opinion already out there.
You don't have to read it.

And new people come, older people go, sometimes there's new opinions to add to the mix, or are you saying the subject is a done deal?
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 10:37   #4
TopSkateDog

And just to be clear, I wasn't seeking the normal pros vs cons, and essentially a lot of sketchy rumours that normally goes on in such debates. Truth be told, I'm not enquiring about advocacy. I'm enquiring about people that actually use it, and whether they realise better fuel economy, and maybe other more subjective takes on their engines running any smoother or quieter.

People wading in with their opinion, solves nothing. People saying "I used it for a month, and saw no benefit in mpg", or "I've been using it for 6 months, and get consistently better fuel economy" does.

That's what I'm enquiring about, not a specious "Should I?"
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 10:45   #5
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSkateDog View Post
You don't have to read it.

And new people come, older people go, sometimes there's new opinions to add to the mix, or are you saying the subject is a done deal?
My point is that there are many threads dealing with exactly what you've asked so why not contribute to one of those instead of starting another?
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 10:53   #6
TopSkateDog

Quote:
My point is that there are many threads dealing with exactly what you've asked so why not contribute to one of those instead of starting another?
Because I'm not asking the question about "Is it any good?". Nor am I asking the question "Should I use it?".

Nor "Let's have a robust debate."

I'm simply asking the question: who uses it, and what are your findings?

But now I'm curious... what pulled you to a thread on a subject you find so tedious?
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 11:01   #7
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
I'm simply asking the question: who uses it, and what are your findings?
...... and if you simply read the many comments by people who have used it in the many threads that already exist, you'd have your answer.

Your question isn't new or unique so the information you want is already available.
I've helpfully linked you above to a selection of such threads.
Have you read any of the threads?
Can you not find any long-term users within them?
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 11:29   #8
TopSkateDog

Quote:
...... and if you simply read the many comments by people who have used it in the many threads that already exist, you'd have your answer.

Your question isn't new or unique so the information you want is already available.
I've helpfully linked you above to a selection of such threads.
Have you read any of the threads?
Can you not find any long-term users within them?
I've read several of those threads, they all descend into largely unsubstantiated opinionating on the subject, which I'm completely uninterested in.

All I am interested in, is people who've used it, and what they found, not people spouting their world view on "sounds good", "all the same from the refinery" or <shrug>.

So, I'll ask you, once again, what's your reason for the attention and time you're spending replying to this thread, for a subject you clearly see as pointless?
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 11:46   #9
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
So, I'll ask you, once again, what's your reason for the attention and time you're spending replying to this thread, for a subject you clearly see as pointless?
I initially wrote a 2 line response which took me no time whatsoever and the rest is me responding to what you say.
On a forum, this is normal and obvious behaviour isn't it?

There are many long-term users of premium fuels on here and their experiences are there for all to see so if you genuinely can't glean the information you need from the existing threads, there's something wrong.
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 12:02   #10
TopSkateDog

Quote:
I initially wrote a 2 line response which took me no time whatsoever and the rest is me responding to what you say.
On a forum, this is normal and obvious behaviour isn't it?
What? Normal to spend so long arguing against something you appaear to find utterly uninteresting? Not sure I'd class it as normal, but I've seen it many times...

Quote:
There are many long-term users of premium fuels on here and their experiences are there for all to see so if you genuinely can't glean the information you need from the existing threads, there's something wrong.
Using that rationale, the response to most threads would be "use search" - how many, genuine, non-unique threads and questions do we ever see?

I didn't want to go on wild goose chase looking for reports that may well be historic, nor did I want to debate the subject in general, I just wanted people WHO ACTUALLY USE THE FUEL to respond with their findings, not general opinionating over whether it's worthwhile, or not.

Debating whether threads are valid is one of the most pointless things I see - it's meta-debate. From where I'm sat, threads live and prosper, or die and whither, based on interest and contribution.