Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

U0301, no power, 1.6d

Views : 1110

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 10th, 2023, 12:13   #1
Jamz3k

Default U0301, no power, 1.6d

Folks, I’ve got a 2010 V50 1.6d with 154,000miles which gets to 40mph and then struggles, getting to 70mph is doable but it’s hard going and it will lose speed on a hill.

The only fault code is U0301 which I can’t find much info on.
The car revs freely and starts on the button.

What’s your thoughts? I’m thinking DPF as its due replacement but as there is no fault codes(apart from u0301)or warning lights, I’m weary of doing this and it not solving the problem as the cars now at a value/condition that may not make it worth throwing parts at.
Jamz3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2023, 13:56   #2
Moomoo
VOC Member

Change the fuel filter first. I had loads of similar grief , spent loads, it was the fuel filter.

Do that first!👍
Old Dec 10th, 2023, 16:19   #3
Jamz3k

I’ve got one to fit into it just incase. I recently (3months ago) fitted one and they are blooming expensive but I’ll give that a go next week.

What I did find today was a crumbled/blocked pipe from the DPF into a valve at the battery box. I replaced the pipe with a bit of fuel line and the car ran worse until the pipe burst off the valve and the cars drivability’s improved greatly but still not perfect.
Old Dec 10th, 2023, 17:21   #4
wynnj
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz3k View Post
I’ve got one to fit into it just incase. I recently (3months ago) fitted one and they are blooming expensive but I’ll give that a go next week.

What I did find today was a crumbled/blocked pipe from the DPF into a valve at the battery box. I replaced the pipe with a bit of fuel line and the car ran worse until the pipe burst off the valve and the cars drivability’s improved greatly but still not perfect.
If you've already changed the filter and bled it thoroughly, changing it again is unlikely to improve matters. However, the fact that changing things associated with the 'valve' by the battery could well indicate a failed 'valve' and or blocked dpf. It's a differential pressure sensor and there should be two tubes going to it from upstream and downstream of the DPF. If it fails it might never trigger a DPF regen or, as in my case, it might permanently try to trigger a regen until the glow plugs burn out. You'll find my write up in the archive. I bought a new sensor off ebay for less than £20. If you go down that investigation route and can't find a replacement send me a PM as I have one which I'm happy to sell for what I paid as I bought a spare after fixing the problem but am now about to sell the car as my wife no longer uses it.
Also, while fuel line may work in diagnosing the problem I've read on here that you're strongly advised not to use it permanently because of the very high temperatures around the DPF. It's possible that someone has used fuel line previously which has now deteriorated contributing to the problem.

P.S. These links might help with decoding your DTC
https://www.dtcdecode.com/Volvo/OBD-...ross-Reference
https://www.dtcdecode.com/Volvo

Last edited by wynnj; Dec 10th, 2023 at 17:25.
wynnj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wynnj For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2023, 18:13   #5
Jamz3k

Cheers wynnj, I’ve ordered replacement pipes,I’ll try them first, then the pressure sensor and if that fails, I’m probably set it on fire.

Not looking forward to fueling my m135i into work everyday until this is fixed lol
Old Jan 1st, 2024, 20:42   #6
Jamz3k

Folks I could do with some guidance with with car.

Since I last posted I've done the following.
-Replaced the pipes to DPF Pressure sensor.
-Removed and cleaned out the DPF with Wynns DPF cleaner
-Replaced 2 injectors (diesel at No.2 injector, used a leakoff tester and changed
No.1 for good measure)
-Cleaned EGR Valve out (it was fine tbh)
-Replaced Fuel Filter

Once I refitted the DPF back into the car, road tested it and I then started to get a MAF sensor low signal fault P1103 and an ECM fault 7700. I checked and found the wiring damaged/rubbed through. so I repaired the wiring and road tested, no difference. I then replaced the MAF sensor and it ran like a real bag of spanners, surging etc etc but with the same fault codes. when I refitted the old MAF sensor, I was back to square one and the fault code is still active.

Currently the car drivers fine under 40mph, maybe a bit down on power but once you try to go above 40mph it struggles and it will cannot make it up a hill at 70mph in 5th gear, the speed with drop back to around 50mph.

What should I do next? As this car is really starting to test my patience.

Last edited by Jamz3k; Jan 1st, 2024 at 20:44.
Old Jan 1st, 2024, 22:40   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz3k View Post
Folks I could do with some guidance with with car.

Since I last posted I've done the following.
-Replaced the pipes to DPF Pressure sensor.
-Removed and cleaned out the DPF with Wynns DPF cleaner
-Replaced 2 injectors (diesel at No.2 injector, used a leakoff tester and changed
No.1 for good measure)
-Cleaned EGR Valve out (it was fine tbh)
-Replaced Fuel Filter

Once I refitted the DPF back into the car, road tested it and I then started to get a MAF sensor low signal fault P1103 and an ECM fault 7700. I checked and found the wiring damaged/rubbed through. so I repaired the wiring and road tested, no difference. I then replaced the MAF sensor and it ran like a real bag of spanners, surging etc etc but with the same fault codes. when I refitted the old MAF sensor, I was back to square one and the fault code is still active.

Currently the car drivers fine under 40mph, maybe a bit down on power but once you try to go above 40mph it struggles and it will cannot make it up a hill at 70mph in 5th gear, the speed with drop back to around 50mph.

What should I do next? As this car is really starting to test my patience.
I assume this IS the 1.6D ( 4 valve engine) rather than the D2 ( 2 valve engine)

In which case the DPF MUST be changed every 72000 miles and the Eyloys additive tank filled and reset.. I note you have not mentioned this. Also there may be a fault code suggesting "Incorrect Engine Software" It is important that you have the latest software ..
Old Jan 8th, 2024, 22:05   #8
Jamz3k

the DPF has been cleaned out as above. Reading the live data, it wasn't blocked before cleaning it out and its certainly not blocked now but I thought it was worth cleaning out. The Eolys system seems to be throwing a bit of a fit though, its showing as warning for being empty but when I run a level test, its coming up as full.

I'd go straight to filling the Eolys tank and priming but the lack of emissions fault codes, the 7700 & U301 codes and the state of my wiring loom (ie it's been removed from its mounts and cable tied back in place) makes me think that someone has been at the ECU and had the DPF/emissions kit mapped out of it....badly.

I did get rid of the MAF fault by replacing the Boost Control Valve for the turbo, doesn't run any better but oddly it the fault hasn't appeared after 100miles of driving.

At no stage has the vehicle been in limp mode or Rev's capped, there has been no DPF blockage warnings etc and the turbo feels fine.
Old Jan 9th, 2024, 16:57   #9
P4

U0301 is a communication error between the ECM and the PCM. Usually one of them is faulty but, considering the state of the wiring harness, I would suggest something as simple as a broken wire or bad connection somewhere in that loom.
P4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2024, 19:40   #10
Jamz3k

Quote:
Originally Posted by P4 View Post
U0301 is a communication error between the ECM and the PCM. Usually one of them is faulty but, considering the state of the wiring harness, I would suggest something as simple as a broken wire or bad connection somewhere in that loom.
I think you're right! I've begrudgely lost so much of my time off working on this car lately, I think if I spent this weekend poking around with it, I'll end up single!

Last edited by Jamz3k; Jan 9th, 2024 at 19:50.