Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo V50 - Not able to rev more than 1100 RPM

Views : 118

Replies : 0

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 12th, 2024, 15:48   #1
Chris58

Default Volvo V50 - Not able to rev more than 1100 RPM

Hello, I have a Volvo V50 2.0D with 100kw engine. Year 2005.

I'm facing a rather specific issue where the car, upon starting, sounds as if it's running on only 3 cylinders. The engine seems to be misfiring, and the RPM fluctuates. When pressing the accelerator fully, the engine won't rev beyond 1100 RPM.

Before encountering this problem, the car underwent the following servicing:
I disconnected the battery, removed injector number 2, and replaced the gasket, washer. Subsequently, I went to the dealer to get new oil and filters. Upon returning to the garage, I found my friend waiting (who had connected the battery and turned the ignition to the second position to charge his phone) - something I didnt notice of at the time.

After reconnecting the injector, changing the oil (from 5W30 to 0W40), and replacing the oil and air filters, I noticed a warning on the dashboard - a drained battery that was so depleted that the car couldn't be locked.

I have another car designed for audio competitions, equipped with an LTO battery. I used jumper cables to start my Volvo with this LTO battery. I drove for about 10 minutes until the car warmed up. While driving on a straight road in 4th gear, I revved the car up to 4500 RPM and coasted to the nearest intersection where I stopped.

During acceleration, the car suddenly started jerking and couldn't rev beyond 1100 RPM. I had to use the clutch to get to the garage.

OBD diagnostics revealed error code U0140. A professional auto electrician pointed out that the control unit wasn't communicating with the injectors. I checked the CEM, measured resistance on the injectors, and verified the current on the injector connectors - everything appears normal.

I noticed that there is diesel fuel around the injector, leaking from the plastic coupling that serves as the fuel return.
Could this be the cause of the problem? Or is the entire ECU faulty?

I believe the control unit might have forgotten and misconfigured the injector, but the auto electrician insists that this ECU cannot forget an injector. I'm unsure if it is true.
Chris58 is offline   Reply With Quote