Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > Volvo Car Press Releases

Notices

Volvo Car Press Releases A selection of press releases from The Volvo Car Corporation

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

No more 5 cylinders from Volvo

Views : 17895

Replies : 64

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 18th, 2011, 19:23   #11
850Chris
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daim View Post
Don't think so. I've never liked the noise. Can't beat a 6 cylinder with the right settings nor a 4 cylinder with fuel economy...

Btw.: Audi only built 5 cylinders in their older cars, because they couldn't fit a 6 cylinder and then invented the myth of a 5 cylinder having the power of a 6 but the economy of a 4 cylinder engine

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

That is my C30 with a 2.0l non turbo 4 cylinder... Exhaust is stock... Reved only to 2.500 rpm - no need for more...! I like that grunt more than...:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Which is a T5... When on tick over, then that Duratec has a deep grunt...

I just really don't like the sound of a 5 cylinder. It has no "specialty" anymore and just has too much inside friction to be as economic as a modern 4 cylinder engine. Thrus, the sound can easily be edited... Ford even tried to remove the 5 cylinder sound in their Focus STs to make them sound more "Ford'y".
Sorry. Don't mean to upset you but I reckon my grass strimmer sounds more throaty than your 2.0l 4 cylinder (this is all meant in good spirits by the way).

This is how a car should sound;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYqbMO_3zcE

2004 V50 T5 SE Manual

Now sold, off to BMW land for a while.
850Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 850Chris For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 18th, 2011, 19:56   #12
Daim
Brit in Germany

No worry, I call my car's engine a lawn motor engine... So I can see the fun side

But I seem to be the only one on the world, who doesn't like the sound of a 5 cylinder engine. I really just don't like it. Like some people don't like the noise of a big slow reving V8... And I think all cars shoud sound like this

+ YouTube Video

But everyone has their own taste and the saying goes:

"To each their own"
Old Sep 18th, 2011, 21:02   #13
T240
Pure is Beautiful

Quote:
I never liked the 5 cylinders... Always thought they sounded broken and had no benefits compared to equal sized 4/6 cylinders.

My Mum's S80 2.0T (B5204T8) runs more rough, than my 2.0l 4 cylinder. It doesn't have the exhaust note (stock) which my (stock) engine has.

Also, I never thought of the I5 as a Volvo engine. Volvo engines have 4 or 6 cylinders (my opinion) and had a smoothness, which was hard to beat at the time of development (i.e. as the redblocks came).
Then I would venture that your mum's car is knackered!

As much as I love my 240, the fives are smoother any day (though the sixes are even more so), and the normally aspirated 2.5 20Vs' in particular have a wicked exhaust note, personally, I think better than the turbos - very reminiscent of a Cosworth BDA,

As for not having advantages, you're wrong there too: they save weight and size over a six, and give you more bang for your buck over an equivalent four.

The engines may have some inherent weaknesses, or bits of design that could have been done better; but there are very few engines that don't, and few that can take power increases the way the fives can - remember most of the guts of the 2.3 turbo are the same as the n/a 2.5 20v; and that very understressed motor gives 170bhp. In turbo form with basically just smaller diameter, lower compression pistons can go to 350 bhp with generally the same internals - and reliably, not noticeably compromising service life.

And if that's not a good motor overall, then bite me!

'Nuff said

Cheers,

T

Last edited by T240; Sep 18th, 2011 at 21:06.
T240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2011, 21:17   #14
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by T240 View Post
Then I would venture that your mum's car is knackered!

As much as I love my 240, the fives are smoother any day (though the sixes are even more so), and the normally aspirated 2.5 20Vs' in particular have a wicked exhaust note, personally, I think better than the turbos - very reminiscent of a Cosworth BDA,

As for not having advantages, you're wrong there too: they save weight and size over a six, and give you more bang for your buck over an equivalent four.

The engines may have some inherent weaknesses, or bits of design that could have been done better; but there are very few engines that don't, and few that can take power increases the way the fives can - remember most of the guts of the 2.3 turbo are the same as the n/a 2.5 20v; and that very understressed motor gives 170bhp. In turbo form with basically just smaller diameter, lower compression pistons can go to 350 bhp with generally the same internals - and reliably, not noticeably compromising service life.

And if that's not a good motor overall, then bite me!

'Nuff said

Cheers,

T
The car is everything else than knackered. With only 60k miles (past 100.000 km a few weeks ago) and top compression rates, it just seems to "rattle". To compare a redblock though (the roughest of rough 4 bangers) with modern 4 cylinder is - as the German would say (translated) - like comparing apples with pears.

About the mentioned advantages, no is saying anything against them, but to say it has the smoothness of a I6 (which no volvo I5 can have, as the crank has an uneven balance) and the economy of an I4 (like Audi claimed in their old 80ies/90ies/100ies/etc.) is just no right... Most modern 4 cylinders run so smooth, that you can't feel it (example my engine). Where as a brand new T5 will still have a little "rumble" when running.

I'm not saying it is a bad engine. If it was a bad construction, it would be long gone from Volvo's list of engines. And as it is now in it's 20th year (first 5 cylinders in mass-produced Volvos were made 1991) it can't be bad. But as downsizing is hitting all models from all makers, they (like the I6 engines!) are going to die out.

Look at Mercedes. The current S-Class is available for the first time ever, with a 4 cylinder diesel (2.1l with 204 hp). BMW will be following soon. The compact class (Golf, Focus, Astra) will soon be standard with 3 cylinder engines (VW is planning on bringing in the 1.2l 3 cylinder TSI as the base engine, Audi is already not far from doing so). Of course a certain "tradition" will be going a miss. The same happend 1998 as the last 940 Turbo left the bands in Gent/Gothenburg with a Redblock engine or the last 960 in 1991/1992 with the PRV V6. Ends of an era... But not of a marque.
Old Sep 18th, 2011, 21:54   #15
noscralc

Quote:
No worry, I call my car's engine a lawn motor engine... So I can see the fun side

But I seem to be the only one on the world, who doesn't like the sound of a 5 cylinder engine. I really just don't like it. Like some people don't like the noise of a big slow reving V8... And I think all cars shoud sound like this

+ YouTube Video

"To each their own"
the v8 does it for me too! try a TVR or some of the yank tanks or even a triumph stag on song hmmmmm
noscralc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to noscralc For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 18th, 2011, 22:02   #16
RobbieH
Two wheeled lycra lout

Quote:

+ YouTube Video

"To each their own"
Yeuck, that sounds like a bucket of scrap metal

My D5 sounds smoother

54 V70 D5 SE (163, EUIII) MTE, Eibach, Powerflex, IPD arb's, TWR FMIC, Ferrita cat-back.
RobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2011, 23:51   #17
Stefanfed

The only vibrations you get from a 5 cylinder are end to end of the crank, unlike a 4 cylinder which has alot more vibrations due to the pistons moving up are going at a different speed to the pistons moving down, this is vertical movement. A general rule is the more cylinders the smoother the engine. Sorry if that bored you lol
Stefanfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 00:58   #18
AcidicDavey
Younger Member

Quote:

+ YouTube Video

"To each their own"
You completely contradict yourself here in this thread mate.
You state that you don't like the way 5s sound 'rough' or 'broken' yet you think all cars should sound like the stupidly unrefined engine configuration that is the V8!

Don't get me wrong though I love your car and what you've done with it but it's just a plain and weazy 4 which hardly makes a noise at all!
I like V8s and 6s(especially BMWs) etc.

But you can never and I mean NEVER bet the sound of a 5cyl in my opinion! Just that deep down roar when you set off and the total change in note when you get about halfway round the revs is just fantastic!

I've never heard of anyone ever who hasn't liked the sound of my V70, and to be honest I didn't think I ever would!
Well until now lol!
AcidicDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AcidicDavey For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 11:41   #19
popuptoaster
Master Member

i hate the sound a 5 pot engine makes, they sound busted to me (mind you so do those bloody subaru engines with the unequal length headers) theres nothing like a rumbly V8 or a high revving 4 pot, people always go on about the sound of the audi engine, but it was a really horrible car to drive with a peaky, tempremental engine when its was tuned.

Most turbo cars sound dodgy, the turbo ruins the engine note, nothing beats the sound of an old NA Ford BDA at 10,000rpm.
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 12:56   #20
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by popuptoaster View Post
i hate the sound a 5 pot engine makes, they sound busted to me (mind you so do those bloody subaru engines with the unequal length headers) theres nothing like a rumbly V8 or a high revving 4 pot, people always go on about the sound of the audi engine, but it was a really horrible car to drive with a peaky, tempremental engine when its was tuned.

Most turbo cars sound dodgy, the turbo ruins the engine note, nothing beats the sound of an old NA Ford BDA at 10,000rpm.
I always thought I was alone and then you came. Thanks

V8 or high rever... Exactly my opinion! Thank you!
The Following User Says Thank You to Daim For This Useful Post: