Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > Volvo Car Press Releases

Notices

Volvo Car Press Releases A selection of press releases from The Volvo Car Corporation

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Steering issues v40

Views : 915

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 23rd, 2022, 23:05   #1
givemehope

Cool Steering issues v40

Hi All I have an issue with my Volvo v40. When parallel parking or making tight turns there’s a terrible knocking noise. The Volvo dealership have looked at it and can’t find anything wrong . It’s just passed it’s 1st MOT and is still happening. I’ve had other garages look at it but they can’t find anything wrong. I’ve lost all faith in the car and Volvo. Any advise or suggestions would be great.
givemehope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2022, 14:17   #2
scbamber

Does it only happen when on absolutely full lock, and have you yourself demonstrated (pretty much vital) the knocking/sound to Holden's rather than merely describing it to them?

Sounds a bit soon to be losing faith in the dealer or another garage(s) if none of them find anything amiss.

PS.. You are in the wrong forum... Maybe a passing mod could fix for you. Quicker still, do a copy and paste yourself into the correct V40 thread for the year of your car

Last edited by scbamber; Jan 24th, 2022 at 14:38.
scbamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2022, 19:01   #3
givemehope

Hi scbarber

Thks for your reply , I’ve only just joined the Volvo forum and was unsure how to post. Yes only happens on fairly tight and tight turns. The local dealership took my car for a test drive and found nothing wrong. Likewise with the other garages it either never happens to them or it does and they can’t see where the fault is so dismiss it.

Simon
givemehope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2022, 19:52   #4
scbamber

Understood... The dealer ?Holden's found nothing wrong on THEIR test drive. In my experience the OWNER usually has to drive the car with the mechanic as a passenger so the owner can reproduce the problem.

I wonder about the loud and normal knocking/pulsing sound only being produced when the steering wheel is held at absolutely full lock. As your car recently sailed through its first MOT the problem can't be worn steering joints or mounting joints esp when it is only 4 years old. My experience of Holden's has been extremely good on every occasion over 7 years.

Again, may I suggest repairing your initial enquiry yourself in the V40 2012 onwards forum? You will get many more and better answers than this forum

Last edited by scbamber; Jan 24th, 2022 at 20:08.
scbamber is offline   Reply With Quote