Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Electrical system

Views : 7221

Replies : 75

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 22nd, 2022, 08:47   #1
JDW3696

Default Electrical system

Good morning all.
Excuse my lack of car knowledge but does anyone know how i can test the following electrical items to narrow down which one is at fault.
The battery on my car was getting 16 volts so a new regulator was fitted. It is currently getting 10 volts so not enough. The battery obviously won't charge.
Is this likely to be the dynamo at fault, the new regulator or the battery? Is there a way of testing them so I can just replace the faulty part rather than the lot.
Cant find a definitive answer.
Thanks
Joe
JDW3696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2022, 08:57   #2
powen1

Sounds Like a question for Ron Kwas or 142guy to me, expert's in their field with a wealth of knowledge - I would have thought 16v at battery was ok to be honest ?
Paul
powen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powen1 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2022, 09:36   #3
JDW3696

God knows. Was told it was supposed to be 13.5 so the old regulator was replaced with a new one.
Joe
Old Nov 22nd, 2022, 09:38   #4
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDW3696 View Post
Good morning all.
Excuse my lack of car knowledge but does anyone know how i can test the following electrical items to narrow down which one is at fault.
The battery on my car was getting 16 volts so a new regulator was fitted. It is currently getting 10 volts so not enough. The battery obviously won't charge.
Is this likely to be the dynamo at fault, the new regulator or the battery? Is there a way of testing them so I can just replace the faulty part rather than the lot.
Cant find a definitive answer.
Thanks
Joe
Hi Joe,

I think you need to be a bit more specific and methodical about this.

What were you measuring, and how were you doing it? Are you saying the potential difference across the battery terminals was 16v, and now it is 10v - was that with the motor running and the ignition on or not? Even an almost flat battery will give more than 10v, that is why I ask that question. If you are more specific then we can work out what is wrong.

If the battery is okay (just test it with a voltmeter across the terminals with nothing connected), then it sounds like the voltage regulator is the most likely culprit, but you have to give us more to go on. Now, take a deep breath and write down what the conditions and symptoms were before changing the regulator, what you did when changing it, and then what the conditions and symptoms are now.

You can download a copy of the Volvo green book for Amazon 12v systems from this link:

https://volvoamazonpictures.se/docum...2V_fredrik.pdf

... it isn't a very complex system, but you just have to be more systematic and methodical to work out what is wrong.

Good fortune,

Alan
Old Nov 22nd, 2022, 09:53   #5
JP 1800
Master Member

Firstly you need to check the battery, a fully charged battery should be 12.6v a discharged battery with 25% charge should be 12.2v. Below 12v is not good for a battery. The battery should firstly checked with no load and then check with the lights and fan on. Ideally with load the voltage should not dip below 12v, if it is charge and check again.

Regarding the charging system a minimum of 13.5v to initiate a charge on the battery with alternators giving 14.4v. 16V is extreme and may "boil" off your electrolyte which will damage the battery. I suggest the electrolyte level is checked and topped up if below the top of the plates in the battery. If you are only getting 10v from the charging system there is an issue with the regulator or wiring to regulator. The field windings may not be activated. Check wiring and also check the amp light bulb. A blown bulb will cause no charge symptoms. Also check the battery chemistry type, more modern calcium batteries require a higher charging voltage over lead acid type.
JP 1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JP 1800 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2022, 11:32   #6
JDW3696

Hello. Okay. Alot to go on. It is very hard to be more specific. The previous owner said it was getting 16v so he bought a voltage regulator. Mechanic is now saying the battery is not charging and only getting 10v. I know nothing more about it than that so I'm going to have to speak with the mechanic and get more detail.
Thanks
Joe
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JDW3696 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2022, 12:26   #7
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Hello. Okay. Alot to go on. It is very hard to be more specific. The previous owner said it was getting 16v so he bought a voltage regulator. Mechanic is now saying the battery is not charging and only getting 10v. I know nothing more about it than that so I'm going to have to speak with the mechanic and get more detail.
Thanks
Joe
Ah, I see Joe, so the motor car is new to you? It sounds like you have not done, and don't plan to do, the mechanical and electrical work yourself, would that be right?

In that case I'd say it would be best to trust your mechanic, but try not to let the labour charges escalate too much. Checking the battery condition takes just a few minutes, the mechanic should have already done that. If that is okay your mechanic will know to be methodical and eliminate possible causes until he finds the issue. There isn't much point us guessing at things on the internet from third hand information and just confusing you.

Good fortune,

Alan
Old Nov 22nd, 2022, 13:02   #8
JDW3696

Hi Alan. Yes that's correct. I might attempt it myself. It is at my mechanics but he wasn't exactly helpful.
Maybe he was busy. Ill give you an update soon.
Old Nov 22nd, 2022, 13:55   #9
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Hi Alan. Yes that's correct. I might attempt it myself. It is at my mechanics but he wasn't exactly helpful.
Maybe he was busy. Ill give you an update soon.
If he’s under 50 it’s probably a mystery to him!
Old Nov 22nd, 2022, 14:17   #10
JDW3696

He is of an older generation. He said the battery is fine but its only getting 10v which means the dynamo or regulator or both are at fault but he doesn't have the facility to test the dynamo. Regulator is brand new so maybe its wired up wrong or a dud.
The Following User Says Thank You to JDW3696 For This Useful Post: