Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 603371

Replies : 2692

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 19th, 2022, 16:57   #2561
Miyo360

I'm just posting an update on my exasperated adventures with EGR issues....

I had the EGR fault code pop up on the dashboard recently. See recent topic here: https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=324819

Volvo have stripped it down and the mechanic said something along the lines of "there is a solenoid [near/on] the EGR valve with a diaphragm which has a split." That split is preventing a vacuum, which is needed. That diaphragm is not replaceable on its own, so the whole valve, and cooler, need to be replaced. Quote is £1300.

Volvo have refused a good will gesture, but an exceptional request has been placed by the garage - waiting to hear back about that.

Car is MY15, 64 plate, with 133K on the clock. Full Volvo Service History. 3 previous EGR replacements.

I'll keep you all updated.

PS: kudos to @spaceman2844 for taking this on himself. I watched that YT video and seems way beyond my comfort zone.
Miyo360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2022, 17:36   #2562
spaceman2844

£1300 is a lot of cash to replace just that vacuum actuator. I'm presuming it's the part at 7:08 in the video which I removed and replaced as part of my repair yesterday. It does have a rubber membrane and connects to the arm on the EGR valve. To be honest, if you that's all that needs replaced a decent mechanic could do it for you if you could get the part number. It doesn't need the EGR valve and cooler removed if the actuator is all that needs replaced so no coolant draining required etc.

However, if the actuator has failed because the EGR is seized and cooler blocked then it would be more expensive as cooler and EGR would need cleaned. It would be farly obvious if a mechanic removed it and checked if the arm on the EGR was moving freely.

Good luck. If you could get the part number and get the cooler and possibly EGR cleaned it should be a lot less than £1300 for an independent mechanic (or DIYer!).

I had no great expectation than my MY14.5 would be repaired with Volvo goodwill hence the DIY decision. However, maybe contacting Volvo UK with a reminder of the phenomenal length of this EGR thread might get some result....
Old Apr 19th, 2022, 17:53   #2563
Miyo360

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman2844 View Post
To be honest, if you that's all that needs replaced a decent mechanic could do it for you if you could get the part number.
That's the problem, I'm led to believe the membrane/diaphragm has no part number and cannot be ordered separately. I'm trying to find it here, but can't see the EGR valve at all https://parts.volvocars.ca/Volvo_201...bo/Engine.html

Quote:
However, if the actuator has failed because the EGR is seized
I don't know if the cooler is blocked, or the actuator seized - I will ask the garage in the morning. I know that when I plug in my ODB reader, then view live data, I can see the "% EGR valve open" change as I accelerate - which I presume means the valve itself is working ok?

Quote:
However, maybe contacting Volvo UK with a reminder of the phenomenal length of this EGR thread might get some result....
Good shout. I have also contacted a local indy garage to ask for costs about replacement/repair as if Volvo won't contribute, then there is no incentive to using a Volvo main dealer to carry out the repair. Waiting to hear back from the indy.
Old Apr 19th, 2022, 18:10   #2564
Miyo360

Quote:
It doesn't need the EGR valve and cooler removed if the actuator is all that needs replaced so no coolant draining required etc.
Been studying the YT video again and looking at parts online. My question now is, if the membrane on this actuator was split, is that enough alone to cause the P04D9 error? My ODB reader shows this error related to "EGR control" and "limit reached - low flow detected".

Or asked another way, if the EGR valve is not sticking, what is causing the P04D9 error?

Thanks.
Old Apr 19th, 2022, 18:29   #2565
spaceman2844

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyo360 View Post
Been studying the YT video again and looking at parts online. My question now is, if the membrane on this actuator was split, is that enough alone to cause the P04D9 error? My ODB reader shows this error related to "EGR control" and "limit reached - low flow detected".

Or asked another way, if the EGR valve is not sticking, what is causing the P04D9 error?

Thanks.
My car had the P04D9 which is low flow, this was resolved by cleaning the cooler. The split diaphragm may be something they found when they stripped it down. It does seem that Volvo only sell the actuator as part of the EGR valve unit.

However, I did a bit of searching just now as I was wondering how I would deal with it if it happened to my car as it ages further as it does look the type of part which will fail as it ages. The part number seems to be PA6T/66-GF30 (found this on an Ebay listing for a V60 D3 part). It certainly looks the same but difficult to know without seeing them side by side. Interesting it also seems to be used on VAG cars, and looks the same. I doubt that Volvo manufactures the actuator themselves and it may be a fairly standard part used across different EGRs.

Not sure that helps you much unless your going to DIY it or have a friendly local mechanic who is happy to investigate further.

Good luck with seeing if you can get some Volvo goodwill though!
Old Apr 26th, 2022, 16:44   #2566
Miyo360

To follow up on this...

No response was received by Volvo over the course of the week the car was with the garage - they simply didn't respond. Not sure how much of this was Volvo ignoring the request, or the dealer not chasing it effectively. However, the odds were against me it seems given the anecdotes on this thread about goodwill gestures on 8+ year old cars, especially those that had 3 EGR replacements already.

So, the fix I went with in the end was the garage had a spare (broken/stuck) EGR valve from another customer. They pulled the actuator off that one and fitted it to mine, then cleaned up the valve and cooler and put it all back. Cost was £295. Way better than £1300, but I don't know how effective the cleaning was - I asked for before/after photos but they had already cleaned up the parts. For those who read this in future with a similar issue, pictures of the actuator are here and the part number suggested by spaceman2844 is correct, PA6T/66-GF30

It's been about a week and the fault light has not returned, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I recently created a new topic on this forum about whether to sell up and I think I am. My usage is mostly short town driving in the low-20mph limits outside of London, with about 4/5 trips per year to the west country to see family - total 5000 miles/year. Evidently this isn't enough to keep the EGR clean, so I'm going to swap for petrol. Not sure what yet, might be another XC60.

Good luck to all those with the VEA D4 engine. This forum has been so helpful and supportive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miyo360 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 26th, 2022, 18:40   #2567
Hirsts

Just joined today as we have had this issue come up today. Dealership are saying they are utterly surprised, have never heard of such an issue and quoted us £1,400 to replace egr valve and cooler. Will be going after Volvo UK next. Thank you all for your posts. I hope to find the picture that confirms if the car has already hd any egr fixes.

Car is 65 reg D4 XC60
Hirsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2022, 09:53   #2568
Antos

Does anyone know what happens if you just run the car with the yellow engine light on with the p04D9 code?
( car runs normally even with yellow light on)

Thanks
Old Apr 27th, 2022, 13:38   #2569
Chrisv60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antos View Post
Does anyone know what happens if you just run the car with the yellow engine light on with the p04D9 code?
( car runs normally even with yellow light on)

Thanks
My engine light came on and off for a while, I think it goes off after half a dozen restarts if the fault doesn't reoccur.

Then after a couple of months it came on with the tortoise on the screen saying reduced engine performance and it refused to rev above 2000rpm which made it virtually undriveable so it went into the dealership and had the cooler replaced.
Old Apr 27th, 2022, 13:56   #2570
Antos

Cheers Chris