Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

P80 Volvo

Views : 3531

Replies : 54

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 20th, 2021, 19:54   #31
Martin Cox
VOC Member

I've always favoured estate cars myself but always liked the look of the S70; a bit like a grown-up 440.

In my opinion it's the car my father should have bought instead of the 940 saloon he did buy. Having said that, it served him well until he died last year.

These days the S70 is definitely a head-turner and I certainly prefer the way it looks over the later S80 and S60 series.

Martin

Last edited by Martin Cox; Nov 20th, 2021 at 19:57.
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2021, 21:19   #32
VerdeV70

Definitely an estate fan over here, but I have to agree. A well looked after S70 still looks the money, especially as saloons, just like estates, are rapidly going the way of the dodo in favour for these barge-like 2wd SUV things.

I've always felt the S looked better with 16inch wheels though rather than 15's. Fills the space much more
VerdeV70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2021, 00:48   #33
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post

My S70 went to a garage who bought it off me via eBay. I haven't seen it advertised since, but if you want a nice one and see this for sale at a reasonable price, go for it. Reg is P5 OAE
]
GOV.UK website says is has been untaxed since 1 August 2021
The Following User Says Thank You to Alpine For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 21st, 2021, 01:40   #34
740T
Master Member

I love my ‘98 v70 awd. Bought in 2009 from a member here and still going strong. Plenty of war wounds but not a spec of rust on the bodywork. It’s a great all rounder, not going to set the world on fire performance wise but compared with modern machinery even the t5 and r struggle to keep pace. But I bloody love it!
740T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2021, 12:15   #35
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

To our younger owners...

Is it me, because I've always made a virtue of being 'uncool' thus I'm no judge, yet somehow there's something 'cool' about a lad in his 20s wafting around in what would usually be seen as an 'old man's barge'?

Don't listen to me, only in my mind, a 25YO wafting about in for example - an old Jag - comes across as 'uber cool'? An individual you'd want to meet.

Far more than the herd-choice of nasty and predictable go-faster hatches or a 1970s Beetle? Running around in an battered P80 is part of that. I saw a lad, and he couldn't have been 25 in a rough 80s Merc estate. More so than an old duffer at the wheel, which is commonplace, because it wasn't 'Barryficated' , resisting the urge to mimic sink-estate tints etc, he gave the scene a faded opulence, and he looked 'right'.

With premiums routinely at £2000+ for the coommon or garden choices, suspect it cost him naff-all to insure too.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Nov 23rd, 2021 at 12:46.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2021, 15:54   #36
VerdeV70

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post
To our younger owners...

Is it me, because I've always made a virtue of being 'uncool' thus I'm no judge, yet somehow there's something 'cool' about a lad in his 20s wafting around in what would usually be seen as an 'old man's barge'?

Don't listen to me, only in my mind, a 25YO wafting about in for example - an old Jag - comes across as 'uber cool'? An individual you'd want to meet.

Far more than the herd-choice of nasty and predictable go-faster hatches or a 1970s Beetle? Running around in an battered P80 is part of that. I saw a lad, and he couldn't have been 25 in a rough 80s Merc estate. More so than an old duffer at the wheel, which is commonplace, because it wasn't 'Barryficated' , resisting the urge to mimic sink-estate tints etc, he gave the scene a faded opulence, and he looked 'right'.

With premiums routinely at £2000+ for the coommon or garden choices, suspect it cost him naff-all to insure too.
I speak for myself when I say this, but estates are cool. I'm of that 20something year old age bracket, and yes, there is something cool about wafting around in a P80. It cruises well, performs well (I might add, if you know how to drive, you can easily outperform some of the hot hatches out there) and it looks the part. Incidentally, I am also the go to when someone wants something transported somewhere, cus let's face is, the V70 can swallow pretty much anything. But the versatility of an estate, V70, Audi, old merc, is what makes them cool. Take them anywhere (within reason), throw your things in the back, and you still look fresh.

IMHO boxy estate cars retain their style better than most things around now, and never look out of place. Yes, the P80 looks its age, but I would regularly park outside of an office I worked at, next to Audis, AMG Mercs and the like, and it still looked its part. It looks just as good in the city as it does in the middle of nowhere.

The other thing that gets me about the P80 is it is a 5 cylinder. Great engines, made well, and they sound better than most of the artificial tat that is out there, especially with a nice stainless steel exhaust.

And I'm not gonna lie, I would love an E28 (M5 or otherwise) or an XJ Coupe or something of a similar ilk to cruise around in. Way more interesting than the majority of modern hot hatches.
VerdeV70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2021, 16:15   #37
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post
To our younger owners...

I don't think the cool thing worked for me but that's probably my fault rather than the car. The turning circle of the S70 is probably wider than my social circle... The few friends I do have do tend to ask "how's the volvo" though so yeah the car is definately cooler than me.

As and when I'll have to change the S70 I'll probably get an S80 V8 to waft about in. I've got the MX5 to play with anyway which will probably end up with one of the volvo turbo's I have sat in the garage stuck on it in the future. I just like quick and interesting cars (and messing with them) but the wallet is very much the limiting factor.

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Previously a 1990 240 GLT-R
acshortt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2021, 16:52   #38
Joseph Martin
Master Member

I've always found that, in my 20+ year old Volvos, with (usually) heated seats, cruise control, air con/sunroof, leather and plenty power, along with a good stereo is far removed from what I'd get spending £12,000 on a newish Ka or similar. I've never bothered about the 'cool' aspect, I've always looked on the cars as how they were when new, expensive executive motors. Same with the Saabs and Rover I've owned.
S40 1.6 (x2); 440 1.6i
Joseph Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2021, 20:38   #39
ITSv40
VOC Member

I had my first Volvo when I was 18 - 48 years ago - I am sure it was very uncool, but that was before cool had been invented. It was a nearly new 145S and I so fell in love with it, I have been a Volvo owner ever since.

My son is an IT techie and bought his first Volvo at 22, a V50 T5. As you can imagine his colleagues really took the micky when he turns up in a Volvo estate. However, the micky taking soon stopped when he took them out one lunch time to 'demonstrate' the performance and sound of the 5 cylinder.

The P80, is in my opinion, the best chassis Volvo have ever built and my C70 is the nicest Volvo I have ever owned. The build quality, comfort, looks and general enjoyment derived from it is second to none. Mine is certainly cherished, but what I do find depressing is the number of good cars being scrapped at the moment due to low values. It has almost come to the point where folks will break a car for want of an oil change and a headlight bulb; this can only force values up in the near future. I will certainly continue to cherish and enjoy mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 209666914_4244089308968040_5895796298196610677_n.jpg (201.9 KB, 7 views)
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2021, 10:55   #40
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Quote:
And I'm not gonna lie, I would love an E28 (M5 or otherwise) or an XJ Coupe or something of a similar ilk to cruise around in.
Oh, of course. Give me today's equiv. to a my V70 ( likely the wrong side of £50,000) and I'll bite your hand off, provided... you're paying. However, the majority obsession with keeping dealerships and finance houses in swimming-pools I can't fathom? My money has always been spent paying off the mortgage and looking to the things that truly matter,, and make me and the people I care about happy. Impressing people I don't even like isn't on the list.

As for others, why worry? They'll think it anyway, simply let 'em. A lesson to the 20-somethings here... I spotted this in my teens. You'll notice those in their senior years stop caring what others think, they do this because it works. This removes so many burdens. Don't wait all your life for permission, start young.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Nov 24th, 2021 at 11:00.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CNGBiFuel For This Useful Post: