Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Turbo spiking

Views : 2974

Replies : 56

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 25th, 2014, 17:31   #51
Jp003
JP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
Not being rude ...but you can`t read either i like talking tuned Volvos it is others that don`t so i try not to on here as an explanation to you for what you are doing would take too long and as it seems a waste of time as you set the actuator according to the basic psi you don`t then add on some!
I think what your trying to say is the spring size should be picked for the minimum boost required?

The preload is to firmly close the wastegate and set by adding 3 full turns. This is how Volvo set up before leaving the factory so how am i wrong?! You can usually set 1 full turn past the set point to increase the required boost without any problems!

I can read very well 960Kg just not type and was merely interested in how you have run the setup on your cars in the past. Knowledge is power thats all. If you dont want to post tech talk thats fine. All I was trying to do was help another member out and I don't see why you suddenly decide to point out other members don't like Tech talk! None of them have said anything to me! Maybe they haven't even read the thread as it doesn't interest them!

I don't come on here to upset anyone and If I have im sorry. Im not going to get into a heated debate/argument with you either 960Kg if you think Im wrong thats fine no problem thats your opinion. I respect that, as I do all other users opinions too.

Like I always inform people i'm not a mechanic just keen enthusiast with a love for Volvo's!

Guardsman if you want to PM any questions I will be happy to tell you what I know right or wrong in private so as to not upset anyone. Good luck buddy hope you get the car how you want it.
Jp003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jp003 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2014, 18:41   #52
Guardsman1

Now now guys haha to be honest i couldnt care what other members think about tuning Volvos. Like JP says dont look at it if it doesnt interest you. Jp and many other members including yourself have been kind enough to comment and help me fix my problem. Its difficult when 2 members have completely different opinions though.
Guardsman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2014, 18:43   #53
960kg
Premier Member

If you notice the OP hasn`t had anyone else answer and that is mainly the reason!

Go get one of these....unless you have an alternative....and wrap tape around the cuff to keep it from blowing up then via a "T" piece connect it to the actuator pipe which goes to the turbo and with the actuator disconnected off the wastegate pin pump the hand pump and you will see the actuator rod push out from the diaphragm once the pressure is set on the dial then just slip the eye of the actuator rod over the wastegate pin and tighten the locknut...it is now set to basic psi...

This is the Volvo way...

Don`t screw the adjustment anymore unless you want to spool up quicker!...also you should only set this adjustment if you have a boost guage fitted so you know first hand what is happening.

On any LPT for safety sake one shouldn`t go over 12psi boost pressure on the guage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wastegate adjustment..jpg (253.8 KB, 6 views)

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

Last edited by 960kg; Sep 25th, 2014 at 18:48.
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2014, 19:48   #54
Guardsman1

thanks bud ill have a look, also its sitting at 10 psi at the moment and ill be sure to not go over 12 psi. cheers
Guardsman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2014, 22:10   #55
Jp003
JP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
If you notice the OP hasn`t had anyone else answer and that is mainly the reason!

Go get one of these....unless you have an alternative....and wrap tape around the cuff to keep it from blowing up then via a "T" piece connect it to the actuator pipe which goes to the turbo and with the actuator disconnected off the wastegate pin pump the hand pump and you will see the actuator rod push out from the diaphragm once the pressure is set on the dial then just slip the eye of the actuator rod over the wastegate pin and tighten the locknut...it is now set to basic psi...

This is the Volvo way...

Don`t screw the adjustment anymore unless you want to spool up quicker!...also you should only set this adjustment if you have a boost guage fitted so you know first hand what is happening.

On any LPT for safety sake one shouldn`t go over 12psi boost pressure on the guage.
Nice attachment and chart

I have the equipment and when you set them up the Volvo way it is the same as adding 3 full turns from wastegate closed. Because most people don't have the equipment it's easier to tell them to put 3 X turns on. Still the Volvo way just without a gauge.
Old Sep 26th, 2014, 13:00   #56
960kg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp003 View Post
Nice attachment and chart

I have the equipment and when you set them up the Volvo way it is the same as adding 3 full turns from wastegate closed. Because most people don't have the equipment it's easier to tell them to put 3 X turns on. Still the Volvo way just without a gauge.
OK, but you have it on your own head if someone damages there engine if you tell them that without approval or the correct information to read!!

On the HPT room for error beacuse of the stronger engine but not so on an LPT with higher compression etc. which is why the OP had problems......

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2014, 23:41   #57
Jp003
JP

Ok

So if I said provided you have the standard turbo and actuator on your car then 3 full turns from closed waste gate will set the required preload. However to check and set this correctly you should use a pressure gauge and set accordingly to the manufactures instructions for your specific engine.

However if you upgrade the actuator spring size you will have no choice but to apply 3 turns of preload because there is no data available to use a gauge to setup correctly.

Throughout my posts I did refer to my engine number and Turbo (HPT) when using examples yes but I gave the correct preload of 1.8psi for a LPT. Which was set wrong at the garage as we later found out.

It doesn't matter what turbo it is or off what car. If it's got the actuator that was built with the turbo on you set it up with 3 full turns of preload. Hence not causing any damage to anyone's car. I agree with you and was trying to prevent damage from being incorrectly setup which it was.

I would strongly advise against anyone messing with the Turbo waste gate actuator on any car unless they are qualified to do so. Incorrectly set actuators can cause all sorts of problems including blown engines for example.