Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 603372

Replies : 2692

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 10:01   #2601
IronMike247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuby View Post
Check to make sure the coolant expansion tank isn't pressurising.

I had all the problems with the EGR cooler, manifold re-call. Anyway in the end I had the low coolant problem when going round bends. I checked the tank and it was pressurised. Left the cap off and could see the bubbles.
I suspected head gasket. So took it to Volvo where they diagnosed it as a cracked cylinder liner.
Then said it needs a new engine at a cost of £9500.
This was a 2014 D4 V60 £0 road tax one, with only 110000 miles on the clock
I say was, as now its in the scrap yard.
Spent loads of money on it and even paid Volvo £500 to tell me it was scrap
My advice would be, get rid of your D4 4 cylinder VAE engine car.
I'm not sure I read correctly. Has Volvo issued a recall for some specific problem? I cheecked my VIN but it was showing up as no recalls.

When you say to check if the tank is pressurised, how long do you recommend driving for before this? I assume it's not going to be pressurized from cold?

Is the only solution really to get rid of it as it's a D4 engine? Is every S60/V60 on the road in the same situation?

Edit:
I did some research at seems some were suggesting that Volvo resolved a fix for the EGR problem in 2016, so any cars built after that shouldn't have this issue? Is that correct?

Last edited by IronMike247; Aug 23rd, 2022 at 10:51.
IronMike247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 13:09   #2602
Stuby

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMike247 View Post
I'm not sure I read correctly. Has Volvo issued a recall for some specific problem? I cheecked my VIN but it was showing up as no recalls.

When you say to check if the tank is pressurised, how long do you recommend driving for before this? I assume it's not going to be pressurized from cold?

Is the only solution really to get rid of it as it's a D4 engine? Is every S60/V60 on the road in the same situation?

Edit:
I did some research at seems some were suggesting that Volvo resolved a fix for the EGR problem in 2016, so any cars built after that shouldn't have this issue? Is that correct?
It will pressurise immediately,
If Volvo had fixed the EGR problem, why did they check and approve a 100% goodwill new cooler, as the one they fitted 2 years previously had cracked and had a leak (apparently the final and conclusive fix).On further investigation they found the cracked cylinder liner.
Check the MOT history of your car and at the bottom of the page there is an outstanding recall section. Seatbelts and inlet manifold recalls are the most recent (last 2 years).
Knowing what I have gone through, with a 2014 D4 V60, I would advise to get rid, it has been by far the most problematic car I have ever owned.
Stuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 13:16   #2603
IronMike247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuby View Post
It will pressurise immediately,
If Volvo had fixed the EGR problem, why did they check and approve a 100% goodwill new cooler, as the one they fitted 2 years previously had cracked and had a leak (apparently the final and conclusive fix).On further investigation they found the cracked cylinder liner.
Check the MOT history of your car and at the bottom of the page there is an outstanding recall section. Seatbelts and inlet manifold recalls are the most recent (last 2 years).
Knowing what I have gone through, with a 2014 D4 V60, I would advise to get rid, it has been by far the most problematic car I have ever owned.
Will check the tank later today so, thanks for the info.
What I meant was, cars built after 2016 have an updated EGR design, or is that not correct based on your knowledge?
No recalls listed for my car on MOT history.
I really would like to hold onto this car, I've only had it a few months and have loved it so far.
IronMike247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 13:54   #2604
Stuby

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMike247 View Post
Will check the tank later today so, thanks for the info.
What I meant was, cars built after 2016 have an updated EGR design, or is that not correct based on your knowledge?
No recalls listed for my car on MOT history.
I really would like to hold onto this car, I've only had it a few months and have loved it so far.
All I know is if they had fixed the EGR problem, how come a 2 year old Cooler was broken after having the permanent fix.
And why did they go to adblue solution in the end.
I too liked the car, really nice to drive. However I have taken my blinkers off and looking back at the issues I just can’t bring myself to recommend the D4 engine.
The problem you are experiencing could be a cracked cooler also (I had the same problem as you, but obviously left it too long)so I would recommend you get it checked out. I also had full Volvo Service History.
Stuby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stuby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 9th, 2022, 20:08   #2605
Steveoc112

Just wanted to thank everyone in the thread for their experiences with the EGR system faults. Had poor idle issues recently on my V60 D4 2016 68250 miles Volvo, with a slight engine hesitation under low throttle conditions, no lights or warnings to go with the symptoms though. After a trip to the main dealer, a seized EGR valve was diagnosed which required replacement. Having mentioned the issues highlighted in this thread, I requested whether there was the possibility of a goodwill gesture. Apparently the main dealer went on the Volvo uk system to request a contribution towards the replacement which was declined in full. To shorten a long story, having then personally contacted Volvo UK as the main dealer wouldn’t take it further, Volvo subsequently came back and agreed to a full contribution saving me the full £874.00 quoted to me.
So again thanks all as without this thread I wouldn’t have had the information to fight my case.
Steveoc112 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steveoc112 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2022, 10:10   #2606
Mimibear

Smile

A quick note to say my 2016 S80 check engine light came on again. EGR issue previously 'fixed' twice by Hatfields Volvo Bury (now closed). Took my car to Rybrook Bolton and Volvo agreed to replace EGR cooler again under good-will. My car has 6 service stamps (3 Volvo main dealer, 3 independent) 46,000 miles total.
So in summary try Rybrook Volvo Bolton
Mimibear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mimibear For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2022, 21:03   #2607
FreshPete

I spent this weekend taking my egr off and cleaning it. It looks brand new but the valve is still faulty, it doesn’t close properly pin still sticks. I’m going to find a new valve and fit it myself instead of the £1400 my local dealer wants to charge to replace it!

If anyone knows of a decent place to get parts please let me know.

Last edited by FreshPete; Sep 25th, 2022 at 21:06.
FreshPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2022, 13:03   #2608
FreshPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPete View Post
I spent this weekend taking my egr off and cleaning it. It looks brand new but the valve is still faulty, it doesn’t close properly pin still sticks. I’m going to find a new valve and fit it myself instead of the £1400 my local dealer wants to charge to replace it!

If anyone knows of a decent place to get parts please let me know.
Had a replacement EGR from Volvo to the cost of £540 just for the part. 2 hours to fit it myself.. light off running like a dream now!

Next job, service..
Old Oct 15th, 2022, 14:25   #2609
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPete View Post
Had a replacement EGR from Volvo to the cost of £540 just for the part. 2 hours to fit it myself.. light off running like a dream now!

Next job, service..
What do you mean by 'EGR'? The cooler, the valve, the pipes or everything?
RDesign4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2022, 18:08   #2610
FreshPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDesign4Life View Post
What do you mean by 'EGR'? The cooler, the valve, the pipes or everything?
Sorry, just the valve. I did clean out the cooler whilst it was off