Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 603438

Replies : 2692

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 18th, 2021, 10:28   #2471
aidanthomson

The check engine light in my V60 D4 has come on. Had the recalls done last November. Called the local dealer and earliest date they can look at it is May 31st. They said because it has had the recalls done it would need a diagnostic check at £126. They might look at it sooner if it was recovered to there.
aidanthomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2021, 11:01   #2472
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidanthomson View Post
The check engine light in my V60 D4 has come on. Had the recalls done last November. Called the local dealer and earliest date they can look at it is May 31st. They said because it has had the recalls done it would need a diagnostic check at £126. They might look at it sooner if it was recovered to there.
There's quite a few common reasons why the engine warning light might come on. Fortunately reading the stored code relating to engine problems does not require Volvo diagnostic equipment, so could be done by any local garage or even a DIY neighbour!

You mention recovery, is it actually running badly?
Old May 18th, 2021, 11:26   #2473
aidanthomson

It is not running badly or gone into limp mode. I normally do 20,000 miles a year but that is cut down at the moment although I have been doing a 70 mile motorway run weekly for the last few weeks as been back into work occasionally. Might book it into the garage next door to work when next in on Monday to get them to look at the codes.

Should I look at a cheap generic code reader from Amazon to see what shows up?
Old May 18th, 2021, 12:14   #2474
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
It is not running badly or gone into limp mode. I normally do 20,000 miles a year but that is cut down at the moment although I have been doing a 70 mile motorway run weekly for the last few weeks as been back into work occasionally. Might book it into the garage next door to work when next in on Monday to get them to look at the codes.

Should I look at a cheap generic code reader from Amazon to see what shows up?
My choice is a cheap (under a fiver) ELM327 Bluetooth interface used in conjunction with the free 'Car Scanner' app running on my Android phone. I can read and delete all P/'powertrain' error codes as well as access many sensor and other derived values, including instantaneous oil level (in mm) and DPF soot loading (in g) although for this you do need to properly configure the app for the VEA engine from a simple pick list. I've got a dedicated fault code reader from about 15 years ago that cost far more but can do far less.
Old May 19th, 2021, 16:10   #2475
aidanthomson

Just scanned the car with a code reader. It is showing code P04D9 which is what I did and didn’t want. Had the recall done in November last year. Waiting for the dealership to call back and get it booked in.
Old May 19th, 2021, 17:26   #2476
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Just scanned the car with a code reader. It is showing code P04D9 which is what I did and didn’t want. Had the recall done in November last year. Waiting for the dealership to call back and get it booked in.
That's most likely a blocked cooler then. There was no recall for this but instead replacements were made as problems arose (probably because it was never a safety issue). Do you know if it has it ever had a replacement?

Interesting to see if this is still a free replacement. Good luck!
Old May 19th, 2021, 22:32   #2477
aidanthomson

It had the cooler replaced before it was 3 years old. I bought it at 2 years old. It was registered in May 2015. Now on 88,000 miles. It had the recalls for software and bleeder hose done in November. Hopefully they are still covering it with goodwill. Booked in for June 4th.
Old Jun 4th, 2021, 08:52   #2478
Lojzek

Quote:
It had the cooler replaced before it was 3 years old. I bought it at 2 years old. It was registered in May 2015. Now on 88,000 miles. It had the recalls for software and bleeder hose done in November. Hopefully they are still covering it with goodwill. Booked in for June 4th.
Did they cover it with goodwill?
Lojzek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2021, 13:41   #2479
aidanthomson

It needs a new cooler as expected. Spoke to Volvo customer services about goodwill and are going to speak to the dealer. Just about to contact them to see what is happening.

Gave me a brand new S60 T8 while it is in.
The Following User Says Thank You to aidanthomson For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 4th, 2021, 16:54   #2480
aidanthomson

Just back from the dealer.
Volvo are going to cover the cost to replace the cooler. Normally it can take up to 48 hours for them to make a decision. But a second call to them this afternoon seemed to speed it up. Although it was too late for the dealer to fix it needs to go back on the 14th.

Just cost the diagnostic fee.
The Following User Says Thank You to aidanthomson For This Useful Post: