Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ford type 9 - 5 speed gearbox

Views : 1106

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 3rd, 2024, 23:14   #11
Derek UK
VOC Member

I was under the impression that B18 544 axles were 4.10. B16 were usually 4.56 but some later ones did come with 4.10. Small batches with 4.10 are listed in the parts book but I think a lot of them were exported. I had a '60 with a 4.10 that was bought in Denmark and ended up in Kenya(?). Are B18 axles interchangeable with B16 ones? Rally guys would likely prefer the 4.56 so that might be a source. Ask Rob at Amazon cars about it. He is having a clear out and may be able to supply.
Derek UK is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2024, 14:35   #12
Salop Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
I was under the impression that B18 544 axles were 4.10. B16 were usually 4.56 but some later ones did come with 4.10. Small batches with 4.10 are listed in the parts book but I think a lot of them were exported. I had a '60 with a 4.10 that was bought in Denmark and ended up in Kenya(?). Are B18 axles interchangeable with B16 ones? Rally guys would likely prefer the 4.56 so that might be a source. Ask Rob at Amazon cars about it. He is having a clear out and may be able to supply.
Derek my car is a 60 model, it originally had a B16 with 3 speed box and the less desirable ENV 4.56:1 axle. I’ve upgraded it to 12v, B18B, M40 box but stuck with original axle which is definitely too low geared for relaxed cruising. I have searched everywhere for a 4.1:1 Spicer axle ( including Amazon Cars) but to no avail. The ENV axle of either ratio is less desirable as it is not as durable as the Spicer equivalent. Also I have discovered differential rebuilders don’t like them and parts impossible to source.
Salop Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2024, 16:40   #13
142 Guy
Master Member

The T9 option is not going to be inexpensive. The M41, although now rare, will probably be much less expensive.

The other option to consider is a different rear axle. I know that some people have used the 9" Ford rear differential which was in production from 1957 - 1986. These have been used in Volvo Amazons. The 9" is 'semi desirable' because the differential is offset slightly on the rear axle. The 1972 and earlier 31 spline axle can be shortened. Save the short side and cut down the long side to match the short side and I think the over all width matches an Amazon within 1" or so. Some details on narrowing here

https://www.jegs.com/tech-articles/f...e-information/

Depending on the vintage of the rear axle you will end up with disk rear brakes which may or may not be desirable.

I don't know what the availability of the Ford 9" is like on your side of the Atlantic. Brand new old axles are available because the 9" is a popular option for North American hot rodders. Clearly this will require some fabrication so definitely more complicated than an M41 installation and probably about the same as a T9 installation. It may be cheaper than a T9, particularly if you have to purchase an already rebuilt T9.

If you do go with a Ford 9" rear end you will be set if you ever decide to drop a V8 engine in at some future date.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2024, 17:24   #14
Salop Farmer

Thanks 142 Guy interesting reading, I will definitely look into the Ford axle option but am pretty sure these items will not be as common in UK. As for cutting and modifying it to suit the 544 may be outside my comfort zone. Never the less worth exploring. The entire renovation, which included months of welding on the shell and a total rebuild of body and engine has been done on a tight budget. So I was hoping the axle ratio was not going to turn out much of an issue. But it has! I am sure there are Volvo PV axles of the correct ratio available in Sweden and USA just not in UK as the cars were never officially imported here.
Old Feb 5th, 2024, 11:32   #15
Bracpan

As the Ford Boxes are getting rare and expensive what about a more modern option like the Mazda MX5 gear boxes they have 5 and 6 gears
Plus more available and they look as if they can easily handle any power the Amazon engine can produce.
Bracpan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bracpan For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 5th, 2024, 16:11   #16
Salop Farmer

Yes Bracpan I also considered the MX5 gearbox, the biggest drawback seems to be that the gearbox and bell housing are cast in one piece. So little hope of using a re machined Volvo bell housing as with the Ford box. I’ve never actually seen an MX5 box in the flesh but from photos they do seem excessively long which could lead to handbrake re location on the 544. As I mentioned in an earlier post a much simpler remedy to my low ratio axle issue might be to fit 195/80 x15 tyres on the rear. Calculations tell me this would be equivalent to having a 4.1:1 ratio. Unfortunately this size of tyre cannot easily be fitted on the front as fowling on the wing/ chassis occurs at steering lock. Castor angle may require adjustment but I am seriously tempted to try this option first.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Salop Farmer For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2024, 18:19   #17
Derek UK
VOC Member

It appears that at 1315mm the rear track of the PV and Amazon are the same. If you are going to convert an axle I would think new brackets on an Amazon one would be the way to go to get your 4.10. The rear brakes would also be plug and play.
Se Juular's list in Sales.
Derek UK is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2024, 17:22   #18
morwenna240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salop Farmer View Post
Yes Bracpan I also considered the MX5 gearbox, the biggest drawback seems to be that the gearbox and bell housing are cast in one piece. So little hope of using a re machined Volvo bell housing as with the Ford box. I’ve never actually seen an MX5 box in the flesh but from photos they do seem excessively long which could lead to handbrake re location on the 544. As I mentioned in an earlier post a much simpler remedy to my low ratio axle issue might be to fit 195/80 x15 tyres on the rear. Calculations tell me this would be equivalent to having a 4.1:1 ratio. Unfortunately this size of tyre cannot easily be fitted on the front as fowling on the wing/ chassis occurs at steering lock. Castor angle may require adjustment but I am seriously tempted to try this option first.
I’m going to try that, the 195x80 bit, my local tyre place has one tyre, is scouting about for another, I’ll report back, if I get them on before you do. An, one doesn’t need them on front, unless you have the rare PV front wheel drive model?
morwenna240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to morwenna240 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2024, 19:11   #19
142 Guy
Master Member

Big tires on the back end - I am gettin' that 1970 454 Chevelle SS with fat tires on the back end vibe!
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2024, 23:25   #20
morwenna240

Well, ones I fit, if test works, will be 185’s. The 195s r part worns, just to test.
morwenna240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to morwenna240 For This Useful Post: