Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Radiator and Water Pump Interference

Views : 390

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 30th, 2024, 20:36   #1
ColoradoAmazon

Default Radiator and Water Pump Interference

I purchased another Volvo Amazon. This one is a 1962 Volvo 121 imported from Sweden and it came partially assembled, with upgraded components and items missing. It's been a little bit of a challenge putting it together to say the least.

Last night I went to install the new radiator that came with the car. The radiator seems to fit, but it seems like it might be aftermarket or an upgraded radiator since it's very thick. This one is 3" thick. My 122 radiator seems more like 2" thick.

Due to the thickness it's impossible to fit the pulley and fan. I only have about 3/4" between the water pump and radiator.

My questions are:
  1. What is this radiator? Is it upgraded? Is it from another model?
  2. Are there any "shorter" water pumps and pulleys that would work with this radiator?
  3. Do you think I can make the hose work at the bottom of the radiator work since the pipes are offset?

Any input would be greatly appreciated since I would love to make this radiator work. Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8419.jpg (144.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8420.jpg (87.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8421.jpg (197.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8379.jpg (237.3 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by ColoradoAmazon; Jan 30th, 2024 at 20:57. Reason: Added Amazon Prefix
ColoradoAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2024, 23:40   #2
gjr0

If you have a look at the various radiators for the different years (left side column), they are different thicknesses and the mounting ears are in different places.
https://vp-autoparts.com/en/artiklar...-66/index.html

Looking at your first and last pictures you can see the mounts on the body and the radiator are different.

If that radiator will fit through the front panel, you might be able to get a radiator shop to relocate the mounts.
gjr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2024, 16:39   #3
ColoradoAmazon

After more research I believe I have a custom radiator made by Walker Radiators now called Johnson Radiators. They make custom radiators for hot rods and such.

The radiator physically fits in the car and the mounts work. However there just isn't enough space for the fan.

From the research I have done it doesn't sound there are alternate or "short" water pumps available for the B18.

One thought is if the pulley fits I could do a pusher fan in front of the radiator. Has anyone done something like this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8432.jpg (121.7 KB, 4 views)
ColoradoAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2024, 22:30   #4
142 Guy
Master Member

I use a pusher fan on my 1971 142. If you pick the sensor location and the set points for the controller correctly it will work just fine. On the 140, the sheaves for the pulley are set back from the snout of the pump so there is plenty of horizontal clearance between the belt and the back of the rad. If the Amazon uses the same style of offset pully you should be good. You may want to use low profile bolts and you will probably have to remove the rad to remove those bolts if you ever need to do a pump replacement.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2024, 23:35   #5
Derek UK
VOC Member

As 142 says, you can use an electric pusher fan and the reverse cone pulley would work. You would still have a a less than ideal distance to the radiator. It does look as if you can massage the mounting brackets at the sides to gain a bit and you would need to move the 2 mounts underneath. Alternate is to cut out the panel to allow the rad to go forward a lot.
Me, I would sell the rad to a racer and get a late type standard rad with an expansion bottle. No mods needed and you should end up not to much out of pocket. Unless you live in Death Valley a standard rad will do the job fine with a stock fan.
Derek UK is online now   Reply With Quote