Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Winter Tyre Poll

Views : 33779

Replies : 208

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Are you slapping on winter tyres?
Yes 176 56.23%
No 137 43.77%
Voters: 313. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 12th, 2010, 20:58   #121
Volvon
Master Member

It doesn't matter if you have traction control, 4wd/awd or you've been driving through winter on summer tyres the last 'x' amount of years. It's about the laws of Physics and its about friction.

Winter tyres are not about how fast you can beat the guy next to you at the lights in winter. They are about keeping on the road on bends, they are about stopping distances, they are about braking on gradients.

Amongst many other things, they are about damage limitation.

And why depend on the government to grit the road infrastructure? What happens if they don't?

I've said this before and I'll say it again, the UK need winter tyres more than anyone, because it can rain all day, then freeze at night. This is the most dangerous road conditions not snow! Snow is fine!

Watch this video and still think you are safe with normal tyres in winter:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_ABEFXDbfI[/YOUTUBE]

Volvon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Volvon For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 21:25   #122
XC60KEV
Master Member

Article from the AA re Winter Tyres http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...in-the-uk.html
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 21:37   #123
XC60KEV
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyvää View Post
It doesn't matter if you have traction control, 4wd/awd or you've been driving through winter on summer tyres the last 'x' amount of years. It's about the laws of Physics and its about friction.
Awesome video (and music) one things for sure - we are all mortals and doubt will ever find anything to take on and beat mother nature
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 22:58   #124
Teejay1
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyvää View Post

Winter tyres are not about how fast you can beat the guy next to you at the lights in winter. They are about keeping on the road on bends, they are about stopping distances, they are about braking on gradients.

Amongst many other things, they are about damage limitation.

And why depend on the government to grit the road infrastructure? What happens if they don't?

I've said this before and I'll say it again, the UK need winter tyres more than anyone, because it can rain all day, then freeze at night. This is the most dangerous road conditions not snow! Snow is fine!

Watch this video and still think you are safe with normal tyres in winter:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_ABEFXDbfI[/YOUTUBE]
A point I was making in another thread.
Teejay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2010, 16:12   #125
XC60KEV
Master Member

I originally voted "no" to the poll however changed my mind and got the winter tyres fitted last week.

Having now covered just over 1K miles in them from the borders to the highlands of Scotland in some of the worst road conditions I've ever encoutered I'm delighted to admit I was wrong and that winter tyres are a must.

In addition to the feeling of safety the braking distance is fantastic, driving on virgin snow or slush is excellent even when cornering. I suppose it doesn't matter if you have winter tyres or not as if the car in front doesn't your not going anywhere anyway however the more awareness that's in the public domain the better IMHO. If anyone is in doubt about the rationale for winyter tyres look at Teejay's signature and click on his you tube link - very well put, thanks Teejay.

I'm a winter tyre convert and hope some more will be too which might keep our roads moving when the white stuff falls.
Old Dec 19th, 2010, 19:51   #126
Teejay1
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC60KEV View Post
I originally voted "no" to the poll however changed my mind and got the winter tyres fitted last week.

Having now covered just over 1K miles in them from the borders to the highlands of Scotland in some of the worst road conditions I've ever encoutered I'm delighted to admit I was wrong and that winter tyres are a must.

In addition to the feeling of safety the braking distance is fantastic, driving on virgin snow or slush is excellent even when cornering. I suppose it doesn't matter if you have winter tyres or not as if the car in front doesn't your not going anywhere anyway however the more awareness that's in the public domain the better IMHO. If anyone is in doubt about the rationale for winyter tyres look at Teejay's signature and click on his you tube link - very well put, thanks Teejay.

I'm a winter tyre convert and hope some more will be too which might keep our roads moving when the white stuff falls.
Me too, get mine tomorrow. Only hope I can get there ;-)

I had removed the link but added it back since it was of use to at least one. I'd love to meet up with another XC60, 2wd, owner who has not got winters and find some snowy areas and compare like with like. If any one is in the area and is interested give me a shout.

Last edited by Teejay1; Dec 19th, 2010 at 19:55.
Old Dec 19th, 2010, 21:50   #127
Nemesis

I voted NO because Iv just in the past couple of weeks put a new set of Avon 225's on my V70, However I really felt the car was struggling at some points today during heavy snow around Glasgow so I may have to look at picking up a spare set of wheels and fitting them with the winter boys, Ill see how things go during the coming few days
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2010, 12:28   #128
TheMrT

Default Winter Tyres, Volvo Canada Advice

http://www.volvocars.com/en-ca/sales...ter-tires.aspx
TheMrT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheMrT For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 24th, 2010, 10:23   #129
Teejay1
Master Member

Default Thankyou !!

As many have said before me, I was very sceptical about the supposed increase in grip in snowy/slushy/cold conditions. When taking into account cost/storage/"hassle" etc it seemed like a bad idea at the time.

Before I changed to winters, I was always concerned with the weather and tentatively looking through the curtains hoping that it hadn't snowed.

Since I've changed to proper winters I couldn't care less because I'm now very confident that, within reason, I will be able to keep myself mobile and enjoy the car for the full 12 months. If you are on the edge of thinking should I or not, trust me when I say, it may be the best automotive decision you ever make. I know for one it's the best one I've ever made!!

General driving is effortless, and I still get some slippage if I move off too briskly but its controlled and at no point does the car feel like its out of control. Even with 2WD they do make such a difference, I think someone already said it's like night and day. Even better the summers fit under the stairs, yay!

I'd just thank all the chaps on here and the discussions around winter tyres and eventually persuade me to get them.

PS: On boxing day I'm going out deliberately to test them so if I get pictures of the "you wouldn't believe s 2WD made that" type I'll post them

Cheers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Teejay1 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 31st, 2010, 14:37   #130
beaconsman

Default winter tyres

Runway M&S front N/s, Goodyear Eagle NCT Vector M&S front O/s with conti winter contacts on rear (V70 (T reg) with snow chains in case of dire straits, pulled a honda crv out of a ditch xmas eve whilst on way home in lincs wolds!
tyres from ebay (£80) steel rims from scrappy (cousin works there, £20 for the set)
beaconsman is offline   Reply With Quote