Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

help needed

Views : 2787

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 1st, 2013, 17:59   #1
100K+
Premier Member

Default help needed

My dice stopped talking to my car today.Even after deleting programme and reinstalling I can't get it to work normally. After the login screen is the vehicle profile screenI can select the "read vehicle" and the pop up boxes appear as normal It then "verifies the Vin" and gives me the option to update.
Update then "Identifies the central modules" then reads the "DTC"
On the RHside are two icons of a battery and a Key, and I know from past use the battery voltage (14.2v) is shown here- mine remains greyed out.Then in the darker oblong box above the icons the word "disconnected" appears.If I click on update the "disconnected light goes out while the update is done but reappears when completed.
The initial state fault codes now scare me

BCM0100 Communication between control units communicational problems with ECM

BCM-0115 Communication between control units communicational problems with SAS - signal missing

ECM928C ECU commonication error - faulty signal

Please tell me I have a problem with the dice/computer and not with my car
I have checked the dice configuration menu and "tested the communication tool" and it passes.
By some strange event I have two dice tools listed 000000 which configuration program says is ok the second 206751 has a comms error.

The vehicle interface status light(bottom) flashes at about 3 flashes/sec

Thanks

Bob
100K+ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 18:56   #2
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

i would suspect that because of the issues with the Dice the comms have not been 100%, i would clear them and see what happens i have had those codes before.
mike
Old Aug 2nd, 2013, 08:40   #3
100K+
Premier Member

Thanks for that .
When I read the fault codes and then erased the codes they did go away but the comms errors returned, which is understandable given the vehicle profile page shows "disconnected" just above where the battery symbol and 14.2volts is normally shown.Other known errors did show up too, my siren issue and windows so there is some comms.
My issues are two fold
1) why is the vehicle profile page ( and diagnostics and associated tabs showing "disconnected"? If I can resolve this I believe my comms issue will go away
2) with the limited comms is the dice safe to use or could I damage my car?

Still need help

Cheers

Bob
Old Aug 2nd, 2013, 13:59   #4
gatos
Premier Member

Really odd, as I have also got the same problem a few days ago. I also get the DICE-000000 and cannot use it to communicate with my car. WHen I run the test though, it shows that connection to DICE is OK..... I will try to reintall everything and see what happens. It is possible that the DICE is fried or something.....

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2013, 14:54   #5
100K+
Premier Member

Gatos Have you had your dice for just over a year??? Got mine June 2012 from UK supplier.

Have tried to do a bit of web research and noticed this guy with a similar disconnect

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz4qvYaNhds

But his computer can be heard connecting/disconnecting. Mine does not cycle like that, only when I remove the connectors does my computer chime disconnected. But the screen shows disconnected as can be seen below.

The dice got stripped down to check for any obvious wire breakages and nothing was found.
9 wires from 16 pins, a black wire had the two raised pins on the "wide" level connected to it.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled on two different laptops and both still have the issue of being"disconnected" as per image
My Vida is 2011D and dice version is 5.6.1 laptops windows xp3 pro.

Final point my Veh. Interface light (bottom one) flashes RED not orange - mean anything ?

Cheers

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vida disconnected.jpg (125.1 KB, 13 views)
Old Aug 2nd, 2013, 18:50   #6
100K+
Premier Member

A few more pieces of the jigsaw:-

After a 2nd delete/reinstalland still getting the "disconnected" above the battery logo, I discovered a Dice diagnostic utility, which using the stereo speakers power supply to power the dice gave interesting results.
The LED test was passed as was the memory and communications tests.When doing the interface test I got :
"Self diagnostic connector is not attached. Loopback tests will not be performed"
Additionally, the voltage of the device which should have been around 12v was displayed as 0.00volts
image below

Are these results what you would expect??

Cheers

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dice diagnostic.jpg (142.5 KB, 15 views)
Old Aug 2nd, 2013, 19:40   #7
gatos
Premier Member

Mine was from a chinese vendor.... And yes, it is about a year I've had it for.

Tried both 5.6.1 and 5.6.2 firmware but still the same. When I try the test like in your screenshot, I get PassThroughOpen() failed 7. I get no voltage at all on mine. I have also taken my DICE apart, but no obvious signs of something broken. I think mine has had it..........

I do get an orange light at the bottom of the dice and not a red one

Nullius in Verba
Old Aug 2nd, 2013, 21:20   #8
100K+
Premier Member

On my set up I can still read live data, and when you test the dice it reports that alls OK. However, it seems to generate comms errors between modules, which can be cleared, but reappear. Not happy about using it anymore.
Looks like unless someone can come up with a line to investigate n try to get the Dice sorted, I'm going to be the market for new equipment.

Cheers

Bob
Old Aug 2nd, 2013, 21:29   #9
Thanatos
VOC Member

Try removing ie10 what lights do you get on the dice when you plug it in to the car.
Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2013, 21:58   #10
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos View Post
Try removing ie10 what lights do you get on the dice when you plug it in to the car.
I am using IE8. I am a Linux user, so I am running Windows XP pro SP3 virtually with Virtualbox. I have disabled the internet on windows and have no auto updates enabled. Windows XP lives undisturbed in its own little world.... Have been using DICE weekly to read codes for many members and nothing has changed.

Last week had issues communicating with my car but after a few tries, it worked. That was the last time.

When I connect the DICE the top light is flashing green and the BT blue light also flashes. When i connect the usb, the 2nd orange light flashes.

Don't mind buying another DICE, as my current one has been used plenty of times and has benefited me and many other members here

Nullius in Verba