Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear door won't open!

Views : 9603

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 2nd, 2017, 18:31   #1
nicholasj

Default Rear door won't open!

It seems that one of the back doors on my 2005 S40 wont open no matter what I do. It just stays locked.
As far as I'm aware the child lock is not on, which is manually set. Not electric.
I think it open once after its recent service and software update but it will not now.
The button is depressed and if I pull the inside handle the button comes up but only while the handle is pulled out. As soon as I release the handle the button depresses.
If I try pulling the button up, or keeping it up with my fingers the outside door handle still won't open the door and the button depresses as soon as I release it from my fingers.
Any ideas please?
Old Aug 2nd, 2017, 20:31   #2
mf70

Once in the car, I would double-check the "unlock all doors" command by pressing the unlock button on the driver's door. I assume this would NOT unlock your target door, but if its button at least jiggles, you would now know that it wasn't an electrical problem.

I don't know if you could remove the inner door panel while the door was closed. If it was possible, I'd go that route. If not, a body shop might know enough of the latch mechanism to jimmy the door open.
mf70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2017, 20:36   #3
nicholasj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf70 View Post
Once in the car, I would double-check the "unlock all doors" command by pressing the unlock button on the driver's door. I assume this would NOT unlock your target door, but if its button at least jiggles, you would now know that it wasn't an electrical problem.

I don't know if you could remove the inner door panel while the door was closed. If it was possible, I'd go that route. If not, a body shop might know enough of the latch mechanism to jimmy the door open.
Thanks, I'll try that in the morning and let you know!
Old Aug 3rd, 2017, 06:55   #4
nicholasj

Tried the double click on the drivers door but no luck. I don't see the button n moving either. Solanoid?
Old Aug 3rd, 2017, 13:02   #5
iainmd

Unfortunately your door lock unit is very likely to have failed. The only option is to remove the door card from the inside (which is very difficult to do without damaging it on the rear) and replace the lock unit. To make matters worse the lock unit is coded to the car meaning a dealer has to do this. When it happened to me it was about £340 to get it fixed and the door card took a beating.

Iain

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2017, 14:51   #6
nicholasj

Unhappy More money.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmd View Post
Unfortunately your door lock unit is very likely to have failed. The only option is to remove the door card from the inside (which is very difficult to do without damaging it on the rear) and replace the lock unit. To make matters worse the lock unit is coded to the car meaning a dealer has to do this. When it happened to me it was about £340 to get it fixed and the door card took a beating.

Iain
You are right. I had to take it to Volvo this morning and they have to order the part. The technician came out to check whether a dead lock or not.
Got estimate of just under Euro 400. I have no choice as could be dangerous to passengers.
Oh dear about the door card damage!!
Just spent over euro 2k on it!!!
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 13:00   #7
poiuytre111

I have just fixed an equivalent fault on a new beetle convertible. I removed the door card/trim and used a dremel cutting wheel to hack away the stainless steel bolts that fix the lock striker plate to the door jamb. Once I had shortened the bolts as far as possible, I tried to use a chisel/punch to undo the remaining thread but in fact they just dropped through into the door shut, allowing the door to open for the fitting of a new lock mechanism.

I am telling you this because I would not want to be paying £80odd/hr for someone else to do to this - not particularly skilled - task. In my VW case I repaired the lock once I had worked out why it had failed - the motor that does the locking had partially failed (dead spot when shaft rotated) and a helper spring had fallen off.
poiuytre111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2022, 10:35   #8
FmyS40

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmd View Post

Iain
Hello, probably have the same issue. If I'm able to remove the door card, how can I change the lock unit? I've done it on the the other door, but it was at least possible to open (it did not have to be coded after changing). This door is locked closed and I have no idea, how am I supposed to get the lock unit out, when most of the screws are hidden.

Thanks for any help!
FmyS40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door locked