Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

PHEV preconditioning woes

Views : 5498

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 5th, 2016, 12:03   #11
johng007

My pennyworth - I am sure the pre-conditioning in OUTDOOR setting only works for a certain number of days after you have last driven the car. I presume to preserve your starter battery as the car periodically has to wake up to perform checks and it limits this to so many days(I dislike this dependency on starter battery btw and it's disconnect from the hybrid charging). After a number of days, I find the remote pre-conditioning will simply not start. Condition resets after you drive the car again....
Old Dec 5th, 2016, 20:55   #12
Charlie70

The availability is down to VOC rather than the precond. mode.

5 days after last start - immediate continuous communication with the car.

Next 17 days - car checks in once per hour so you can still set the timer but you'll have to wait for the car to see it.

After the combined 22 days are over, you'll need to start the car to reactivate VOC.
Charlie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie70 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2017, 18:10   #13
Tober

I have encountered the same issue when trying to activate preconditioning when the car is not connected to the electric supply. It works fine when charging but like others, in the colder weather I tried tried it away from my home charging connection. Nothing - either via key fob or app. I came to this forum to see if others have encountered the same problem and this thread confirms the same. I don't remember the detail of the option being discussed apart from me establishing that preconditioning would be available. I have a first health check due next week do will raise it then. Thanks
Tober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2017, 17:17   #14
DieselElectric

On the D6, I've not had any problems with the preconditioning when plugged in but I can only remember one time when it seemed to function unplugged.

On that occasion it was particularly cold ( -5?) and I remember that ours was the only vehicle in car park with windows that weren't encased in frost so I assume it worked. Perhaps the diesel-only-heater mode only functions when it's really cold?
DieselElectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2017, 21:08   #15
soldana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober View Post
I have encountered the same issue when trying to activate preconditioning when the car is not connected to the electric supply. It works fine when charging but like others, in the colder weather I tried tried it away from my home charging connection. Nothing - either via key fob or app. I came to this forum to see if others have encountered the same problem and this thread confirms the same. I don't remember the detail of the option being discussed apart from me establishing that preconditioning would be available. I have a first health check due next week do will raise it then. Thanks
I also have my 3,000 mile "health check" next week and shall be asking the dealer the same question. Have tried untethered preconditioning via VOC half a dozen times and it has never worked. Works every time when plugged in.
soldana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soldana For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2017, 17:14   #16
Tober

The Health check didn't produce a solution in terms of preconditioning without a cable connection, but the dealership is looking into it and will come back to me.
I was also given a lot of help to ensure that my car WiFi/bluetooth was configured in such a way that allowed me to use Send to Car locations and save them to the Navigation System. Thanks to my local dealer for that and for the extra help over the telephone. Much apprexciated
The Following User Says Thank You to Tober For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2017, 10:53   #17
DieselElectric

Thanks. I'm curious to hear what they say.
DieselElectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2017, 19:45   #18
Tober

The local dealer got back to me today after the Volvo health check last week. They checked re the preconditioning and apparently the problem comes when it is not on charge as the car does not have a Fuel Operated Heater. I have questioned this with the dealer I purchased the V60 from as I was under the impression that FOH was standard.

This afternoon I am even more confused. I have a message on the dash today which says that Fuel Operated Heater is not operating because of the low fuel level. I have 35 miles to empty. This suggests that I do indeed have a Fuel Operated Heater?

So have gone back for further clarification
The Following User Says Thank You to Tober For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2017, 20:17   #19
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
...which says that Fuel Operated Heater is not operating because of the low fuel level. I have 35 miles to empty. This suggests that I do indeed have a Fuel Operated Heater?
Normally there is a warning label under the fuel cap, and in the engine bay, if a Fuel Operated Heater is fitted.

The label under the fuel filler warns you not to refuel when the Fuel Operated Heater is running.

The label in the engine bay gives you the specs of the Fuel Operated Heater. Mine is 6kW, diesel fueled.

The vehicle software will also tell you when something is wrong, but will only tell you IF you actually have a Fuel Burning Heater physically fitted.

On my XC90 with the CPM (Combustion Preheater Module, the fuel burning heater) I can enable it with a timer for my departure time.

Also, when the fuel in the tank is below something like 25%, it will advise me that it has shut off due to low fuel levels. This is a safety feature to ensure anough fuel remains for driving.

Also, when the heater is running, I can hear the combustion fans running under the left hand front wing, and feel the warm exhaust of the CPM.

The above is true for a 2009 XC90, and I would expect the warning labels remain true for all Volvo vehicles with fuel burning heaters, as the labels are a safety reminder.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2017, 20:47   #20
soldana

Quote:
The local dealer got back to me today after the Volvo health check last week. They checked re the preconditioning and apparently the problem comes when it is not on charge as the car does not have a Fuel Operated Heater. I have questioned this with the dealer I purchased the V60 from as I was under the impression that FOH was standard.

This afternoon I am even more confused. I have a message on the dash today which says that Fuel Operated Heater is not operating because of the low fuel level. I have 35 miles to empty. This suggests that I do indeed have a Fuel Operated Heater?

So have gone back for further clarification
Interestingly, I had the same message today for the first time from my V60. I was down to about 50 miles range, and had no heating at all when running in "pure" mode. I'm therefore pretty sure I must have a fuel heater too.

My 3,000 mile check is tomorrow, we'll see what the dealer says.
soldana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
phev, preconditioning, preheating, v60