Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Vida and VCXnano tool communication issue.

Views : 621

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 31st, 2023, 16:48   #1
Si902

Default Vida and VCXnano tool communication issue.

Hi all.

I have a 2007 (actually shows as 2008 model year on Vida?) XC90 Exec, I've owned it for a few years now and shortly after buying the car I purchased Vida and a VCX tool from a member on here. I've used it several times over the years without an issue, being able to read the faults and erase them etc.

However, I recently came to use to use Vida after probably 12 months, and couldn't get the virtual machine to load... I quickly discovered that I'd deleted the windows 7 clone file at some point as it was a large (32Gb) file, so I re-installed that and managed to get the VM to load as normal, got the green arrow and opened and loaded Vida as normal.

However, when I plugged in to the car I couldn't get the VCX tool to communicate with the car? I tried to read vehicle under the "Vehicle Profile" tab and it failed but came back with a message, unfortunately I can't recall the exact message that came up as I didn't think to make a note but was similar to "Unable to communicate with vehicle CEM".
I opened the configuration within Vida and the VCX showed up in there.

The VCX tool shows up on the host machine under devices / Usb devices in the control panel, and same in the VM.

Another observation I made was that when plugging the VCX tool into the USB port on the laptop it made that connection audio sound several times as if it had been plugged in and unplugged three or four times, obviously it hadn't and I ensured it was still and not a loose connection. ( It has always been wrapped up and stored in it's box as it came and in very good condition so no reason to think it is damaged)

So I went back to the helpful installation video provided when I originally installed and went through all the set up and settings, I noticed that the USB setting was set to USB 1.1 when it should be set to USB 2.0, so I changed that.
Tried again and now it appears to read the vehicle profile, i.e returns the the VIN, Chassis, Engine number, Model and year, however the diagnostics tab is greyed out and cannot click on it.

Does anyone have any idea what may be going on, or be able to point me in the right direction.

I've attached a screen grab of Vida showing the tab greyed out.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vida issue.jpg (39.6 KB, 8 views)
Si902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2023, 17:25   #2
Simmy
Premier Member

did you set the location before trying ie Europe. or try log in using the number 4 using log in 4 sets the location for uk when using vida dice.
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2023, 17:51   #3
Si902

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
did you set the location before trying ie Europe. or try log in using the number 4 using log in 4 sets the location for uk when using vida dice.

I didn't, unfortunately I'm not with the car today, but I've just tried logging in as you said using 4 and did set location to Eur/INT, put my VIN Chassis No in and and hey presto the diagnostics tab is now functional!!! Can't believe I didn't notice that.
Hopefully that will have sorted it, I'll plug it in on Friday and report back.

Thanks Simmy.
Si902 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Si902 For This Useful Post:
Old May 31st, 2023, 18:44   #4
Simmy
Premier Member

vida is very good but not very intuitive it easy to forget get things when you dont use it very often. I'm fairly sure that you wont have discovered most of what vida can do. i use it all the time and I'm still finding thing it can do live data is one of vidas best features as you can see whats happening with the engine components . and the parts catalogue is so good to go to the dealers or motor factors armed with part nos is a bonus.
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:

Tags
communication, diagnostics, vcx, vida