Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

VIDA and DICE | general things FAQ

Views : 2585

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 2nd, 2019, 22:44   #1
paddy74

Post VIDA and DICE | general things FAQ

As this comes up every now and then, I thought, I'd write down a small FAQ about VIDA and the DICE (the general things).

Disclaimer: I do not encourage anyone to do illegal things! Where or how you get the soft- or hardware is your responsibility, and you should know, that in nearly all cases there is something illegal involved.
That being said, in my experience neither Volvocars nor the local dealers care about, but it should be noted. My dealer welcomes this kind of informed customer, as it brings him clients, that otherwise wouldn't come in years.
BUT, now you are aware of this.

So, now that you are a little scared by the legal terms, you need to relax and take a look at the great things you can do with a DICE and VIDA. And afterwards, you can still decide, what to do.

What is VIDA or DICE?
VIDA is the software you need to diagnose your Volvo.
DICE is the hardware, to get your car to talk to your computer.

Every Volvo from 1999 to 2014 has an OnBoardDiagnostic-System (or OBD2). All computers that are built into your car are talking with each other or at least with the main computer, called CEM (CentralElectronicModule). If faults arrise, they will be logged and can be read afterwards from the car. And this is, where the DICE comes into play. To read these error codes (or DTC, DiagnosticTroubleCode), you need to have a piece of hardware, that you can put into the OBD2 socket in the car on one side and into your computer on the other. That is, what the DICE does.

VIDA on the other hand, is the software you need to make sense of all these data that comes in from your car.

VIDA and the DICE are both the official tools, every Volvo dealer in the world is using to work with your car. That's why the disclaimer above. Soft- and hardware are both copyrighted or trademarked by Volvocars in Sweden. More on that later.

What can I do with VIDA?
VIDA has a lot more to offer than "only" reading the codes from your car. You'll find in depth repair instructions, fault tracing methods and a parts catalog for all Volvos from 1999 to 2014. You can also read real-time values from nearly every sensor in your car, from the transmission temperature to the ABS functions, from the window position to the steering angle. Some functions you can even start or stop from within VIDA, eg. running the windows up and down, calibrate them and so on.

Here's a short (but far from complete) list:
  • Define different vehicle profiles
    You can use your setup for every Volvo
  • Parts catalog, filtered for the given car
    You can check the correct part number for your car
  • Blow up or explosion drawings
    Every part of the car is shown in combination with all surrounding parts
  • Parts finder
    No idea what that is? You can look it up here
  • Fault tracing
    Guided fault tracing: you get the fault code from the car and VIDA tells you, what to check and how to do it.
  • Read/delete all or each control module individually
    Read or delete the fault codes from every module
  • Real-time sensor values
    You can put together your own graphs for every sensor value, eg. transmission temp, steering angle, turbo pressure, you name it.
  • Extensive search functions
    You can search for part numbers or names or in instructions or...

What can't I do with VIDA? (eg can I upload software with VIDA?)
All software things that need an active connection to the Volvo servers in Sweden. Two examples would be the preheater to full parking heater or programing a new key. Both is not possible. As a ground rule, software that needs to be newly uploaded to the car, is not possible. If the software is already there, you can change settings (eg the temp. of the seat heating).

Do I need both, VIDA and DICE?
No, you don't. VIDA is working very well as a standalone solution for repair instructions or the parts catalog. As long as you do not rely on the error codes, you are good to go. Eg. if you have a hole in your exhaust, you will find the error yourself, and VIDA can give you the part numbers you need to order and later instructions on how to change your exhaust.
If the error or fault is not clearly visible, you need to know what is going on in your car, than you need a DICE to get these codes read.

A little history?
With the beginning of the new century, Volvo started to equip all new cars with OBD2. With this, it was necessary to have a tool for the dealers, to communicate with the car on one side, and a computer on the other. Volvo invented the software VIDA and the hardware DICE and sold them to every dealer worldwide.
In or around 2010 some chinese companies became aware of the usefullness of this hard- and software package and started to building clones from the original DICE, and cracked the software, so it could be used by everyone. And that is still valid for 2019.

To sum it up, VIDA and the DICE are the official tools, that Volvo is using!

Does it have to be VIDA and a DICE? I have a generic OBD2 reader...
Unfortunately yes, it has to be VIDA and a DICE. Until now, there is no known fully working code reader other than VIDA. You can read codes from a Volvo with a universal OBD2 reader, but it will mostly give you only a generic fault code.

The explanation is simple: There is a worldwide accepted standard for OBD2 in place, and all car manufacturers are required by law, to use it for there cars. But, every car manufacturer has the right to expand on that standard. And that is the point, where Volvo did some tweaking and customizing, to make it harder for independent dealers to correctly diagnose a Volvo.
A generic code reader will only give you the explanations that are defined as standard, but VIDA gives you an in-depth code, that only Volvo knows...
Other manufacturers do handle this differently, with a BMW or Mercedes-Benz you will get a lot more out of the generic reader - but you drive a Volvo, that's for individualists...

Another important thing: if you have to calibrate anything, this is only possible with VIDA/DICE. Eg the window end position. This might not seem to important, but a few faults get solved with calibrating the corresponding sensors or control modules...

How do I get VIDA and/or a DICE?
  • VIDA "standalone" (software only):
    You can get a copy in a few places around the internet. It depends mostly on how good you are with a/your computer. Please look a little downwards in the part about versions and installation methods.
  • VIDA and a DICE:
    • There are a few specific OBD2 shops out there. They sell you a DICE for around £100.-. Together with your DICE you will normally get a copy of VIDA on DVD or a link to a download.
    • eBay or amazon. These are mostly the same sellers as above.
    • Look in forums for other members who are selling their (used) DICE. This is a way to get a working example normally for a reasonable price.
    • On nearly every big forum (like this one here) you can find members, who sell you a new DICE. This would be my recommendation for VIDA and DICE, as you can ask questions and check out the member before buying. Normally these devices are tested and proved working (despite the ones you get on eBay - and who would want to exchange a device in China...?).
  • VIDA, a dedicated Laptop or Tablet-PC and a DICE (the full package):
    This will be the luxury version. You will be getting a fully working system - real plug & play. A few of the before mentioned members are also selling these complete sets. You will find these sets on eBay as well - if you want to buy one, take a close look, what you get here. Experience shows, if you prefer this full package, buy it from a recommended person or member (see above). And take a close look, if the given specifications are ok for the use of VIDA. More on that in the downwards installation part.

What versions and installation methods of VIDA are available?
Volvo took a "year-approach" in the naming convention for VIDA. So the versions are named with the year they were released and a letter for in-year-updates. That comes out to 2013c or 2014b or something similar.
Usable for our interests are all versions up to 2014d. The following version (VIDA 2015) is not usable for us, as we do not want our VIDA to talk to Volvos servers in Sweden. So what you're looking for is VIDA 2014d as the best known working version!

As we now have talked about versions, and which one to get, we now need to know, which installation method we choose. This is important, as the different installation methods have different downloads for the same version.
  • VIDA as standalone program
    This is what you normally get on the DVDs, if you a buy a DICE. And most downloads you will find via Google are these.
    You need a reasonable understanding of the computer / tablet you want to install it on. VIDA needs a few seperate programs like a MySQL-Server or JAVA in specific versions installed to run properly. There are very good step-by-step tutorials on how to achieve this, and if you buy a DICE and have a good seller, there will be support for installation questions. So ask, before you buy!
    If you downloaded a version via Google, you're a little bit on your own, but in every forum you will get help. I know of just very few, that couldn't get it installed.
  • VIDA and all necessary other software bundled in a VM (VirtualMachine)
    All software that is needed (from the operating system over VIDA to all background programs) is bundled in one download.
    Sounds interesting? It is! A virtual machine is a small program, that you install on your computer, to simulate another (virtual) PC on your machine. In this new, virtual PC everything is already working and specifically installed for this one purpose: run VIDA!
    This is an easy way, but you need to know, that this needs a little more power, than just VIDA alone. That's because the virtual machine itself needs a little RAM and processor power.
    I strongly suggest this installation method, if you want to use this on your allday-working machine. If something goes wrong, everything is encapsuled in a virtual machine and will most likely not disturb you on your working machine.

On what operating systems runs VIDA?
VIDA runs on Windows 7 and on Windows 10. All versions and installation methods are available for both systems. You can even mix these, eg. your system runs on Windows 10 and you have VIDA running in a virtual machine with Windows 7...

So Windows 7 and Windows 10 are both fine, I recommend Windows 10, as it is more stable than Windows 7.

Which one is best for me?
  • I want to use a dedicated Laptop for VIDA[/size]
    • I have no or only a little experience in installing software on Windows
      ===> Take the download where you get VIDA already installed in a Virtual Machine.
    • I have a working knowledge of Windows and software for Windows
      ===> If you use an old laptop or one with not so high specs, use the standalone download, not installed in a VM.
      ===> If you use a power machine, it's really your choice. On a dedicated machine, it doesn't hurt to install it in a VM, but faster and more flexible is without.
    • I'm a computer geek, MySQL-Server or Java are known, but I'd rather use MariaDB and OpenJDK or Correto
      ===> OK, why haven't you already been to DuckDuckGo and searched for Volvo VIDA 2014d followed by the OCH of your choice? Just kidding, but the easiest way seems to simply look at Swedespeed in the OBD section.
  • I want to use my "allday" Laptop for VIDA
    • In this case I'd always prefer the VirtualMachine approach.
      If something goes wrong, everything is neatly bundled in a seperate environment. And you can easily delete and re-install the whole thing. As this is your allday laptop, I simply asume the specs are high enough. As a ground rule, I'd recommend at least 4GB to 6GB of RAM for a VM.
    • Still not convinced for a VM?
      If you really know, what you're doing, than you can try the standalone approach. But keep in mind, we are talking about a software, that is not updated since 2014 (five years!), and hence is as well using other software from this era. How should VIDA know about a newer JAVA version... Right now, this isn't a problem, as all needed software still is supported, but in my opinion, if it's not a dedicated and therefor not daily used machine, I would go for the VM.

Where can I download VIDA?
* I don't want to post direct links to downloads, but I can post links to specific threads with instructions and download links. As I am not sure about the rules here in this forum, I don't want to post links without prior permission of the team. So after posting this thread, I'll ask, and if permission is given, I will edit this part! Thanks for understanding!
For now, I can send a link via PM to installation instructions (and maybe you accidentally find a download link in that thread as well). Send me a PM, but please note, I will answer with a standard, non personalized message. *

--------------------
Notes:
This is a living document, that grows and gets better, if you give your contribution. If you find mistakes, unclear language or anything else, please leave a note here in the thread. I'll be happy to adjust this post, of course naming you as author for that part.

Version history:
19-11-02 1.0 Initial version
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to paddy74 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 2nd, 2019, 22:45   #2
paddy74

* reserved *
Old Nov 2nd, 2019, 22:46   #3
paddy74

*reserved*
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 09:37   #4
SwissXC90
Premier Member

you are missing a very important thing you can do with VIDA:

Read the functional and technical description of all devices and systems in the vehicle to learn how they work and interact with each other
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 11:50   #5
RS3100

You say that you must use VIDA to read manufacturer reserved fault codes.

Whilst I would agree that VIDA has to be the diagnostic software of choice for 2014 and earlier Volvos, there are alternatives for the newer vehicles which the last publically available version of VIDA can't connect to, that do a pretty good job.

VDash for one is Volvo specific and free to read fault codes for personal use, although chargeable on a per use basis for performing other functions such as service resets and modifying ECU parameters.

My Launch MOT Pro can connect to all ECUs on my V40 and read fault codes, plot and log or graph sensor values, perform actuations, reset and calibrate functions etc. There are other alternatives intended for competent DIY mechanics or the independent motor trade with varying levels of connectivity and performance depending in part on how much you are prepared to pay.

Having said that, although I can't use VIDA to connect to my 2017 car, I still use it for all of the other reasons that you mention.
RS3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 13:46   #6
Thekilt

Can you also reset gearbox oil change with VIDA and DICE and potentially software updates? or is this Dealrship only?
Thekilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 16:51   #7
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekilt View Post
Can you also reset gearbox oil change with VIDA and DICE and potentially software updates? or is this Dealrship only?
Gearbox oil change can be reset with Vida
Software updates can be done if you are an authorised registered user. Which means you are a registered garage.
You are probably not a registered user, so this means, for most people, that software updates remain a job for the dealership only.
Which is probably a good thing.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 20:10   #8
Thekilt

Thanks SwissXC90. It might be worth moving this to the generic technical section as it’s a really good guide.
Thekilt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dice, vida