Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Danish embassy 940

Views : 23943

Replies : 247

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 17th, 2023, 21:31   #221
Belal960
Belal Vol 1984-2019

pm sent.
Old Jul 18th, 2023, 12:35   #222
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Well I took wifey to work in the 940 this morning, and it was a smooth, calm, and very comfortable journey. As a result we've agreed to keep Siegfried and do the mods I hinted at earlier. The quality of the cars available for £4-5k nowadays is shocking. They'd struggle to get £1500 a few years ago, the market has gone totally bonkers.

It'll be a few weeks before I start to do anything, but SWMBO has already agreed to me fitting iPd anti-roll bars. That should help to reduce the soft lurching/wallowing during cornering. The Celebration spec wood trim is also on the shopping list to lift the tone of the interior - and it will be getting a lot more attention in the coming months
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 18th, 2023, 17:17   #223
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post

It'll be a few weeks before I start to do anything, but SWMBO has already agreed to me fitting iPd anti-roll bars. That should help to reduce the soft lurching/wallowing during cornering. The Celebration spec wood trim is also on the shopping list to lift the tone of the interior - and it will be getting a lot more attention in the coming months
The ARBs will give you a vast improvement on handling/cornering/grip with very little ride quality compromise - if anything you may feel the ride quality is improved.

Glad to hear you're keeping and improving it to your own spec rather than selling it on for a soulless Euroblob!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 2nd, 2023, 09:36   #224
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Wow has it been that long since I updated this thread?!!!

Just to recap, I advertised the 940 a few times but didn't get any reasonable offers for it, so our plans have changed - we're now keeping the 940 and will be selling the 850R in due course!

As the lack of genuine interest in the 940 showed that not many people put a lot of weight on the embassy history, I feel better about modifying it. So I plan on fitting a number of parts that I bought for the car but haven't yet fitted for fear of 'corrupting' its heritage, namely:

MPH instrument cluster with boost tacho gauge
Lowered suspension
17" Volvo wheels, probably Comets, along with adaptors to suit
Mudflaps all round (I have a set of genuine Volvo ones to go on)
Refit the DAB radio

I'm also going to fix the aircon, and possibly look at fitting a heated front screen. Further into the future, there will be iPd anti-roll bars, and I may do something silly like put a 15G on it but I want to complete the above jobs first.

I'll be selling some parts that I no have no use for - a set of Omega wheels for example - and I'll advertise those in due course.

So there you have it, the Danish embassy 940 is staying with us and will continue to be cossetted. As ever the changes will be slow in coming lol. Life is still so hectic!

All the best, Sam
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 2nd, 2023, 11:43   #225
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
I'm also going to fix the aircon, and possibly look at fitting a heated front screen.
All the best, Sam
I know Ford have a patent and/or trade mark on heated front screens so you may run into difficulty finding one, unless of course you can find an early V/S 90 screen that should be the same in terms of size at least.

I know Ford (obviously) offered heated front screens on all their models, Jaguar (and possibly Land Rover) models from 1999 (possibly earlier) during their ownership of JLR but i'm not sure if they were ever offered on Volvos.

Good luck with finding one, i hadn't really used one before the one in my Jag (itself a conglomoration of parts, the screenwash pump is shared with the S80 [i think] but also Mondeos, Sierras, Transits and so on) but now wouldn't be without one if i had the option.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 2nd, 2023, 18:25   #226
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Yes, it's been a while since I last had a heated screen. There is a company doing them for classic cars and I'm hoping that they can supply one for the 940.

https://www.heatedwindscreen.com/

They've been on a few motoring shows on TV so I'm hoping the quality will be ok - and MOT compliant
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 3rd, 2023, 14:57   #227
baggy798
🤍💙💗

Seeing as they're using pictures of rally, track, and 40+ year old cars, likely not compliant. Although there are a couple of exceptions like the VW T4 van and Toyota Hi-Lux.
Old Feb 19th, 2024, 15:45   #228
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

I can't believe it was October that I was on here last! I've been spending most of my car time on Facebook sorry, but I'll try and do more on here from now on.

The 940 is still here with us, still looking radiant and very much loved. Sadly I put it on SORN when I was considering selling it, so she's stayed on the driveway - but she does get started every other weekend and shuffled around on the drive to stop things seizing up.

As you may recall, I bought a Honda Civic 1.6 diesel to be the more economical daily, and it has indeed been very economical to run averaging 60mpg over a typical tankful. However, its first breakdown cost me around £1k (bloody DPF issue from the previous owner), and then someone drove into it in a multistorey car park at work, pulling the front bumper off and damaging a wheel and tyre... I've also had someone reverse into it in a supermarket car park, scratching the rear bumper, so it seems to be a dodgem magnet. If it was a great car to drive, I'd still be considering selling one or both Volvos, but things have come full circle and its the Honda that will be going in April after I've put a fresh MoT on it.

Which brings us back to where we were a year ago, with the 850R and the 940 Both are 90% sorted so we're a little undecided as to which to keep, but as I'm posting this here you can guess which way its tilting

So yes, it looks like I'll be hanging around here for quite a while longer. I'm back to thinking along the lines of the mods that I was considering way back in October - and luckily I still have the new Lesjofors lowering springs and new KYB dampers, so they'll be fitted in the coming months. (I'll be doing that as when I trusted the local garage to fit a new spring to the Honda, it came back with oily stains all over the carpet...grrrrr.)

I'm probably going to stick with some 17" Volvo wheels, possibly Comets, possibly something else. And I need to finish the aircon repair suspect we'll be needing that this summer!

In the slightly longer term future, I want to fit a manual gearbox so I'll definitely be asking for help with that one! And I'll probably fit a 15G and custom exhaust at some point this year... and some iPd antiroll bars and their 'Turbo' camshaft. So many plans, and so little time

BTW the pics have disappeared from this thread as I'm moving my website to another host. They'll be back... eventually

Last edited by RollingThunder; Feb 19th, 2024 at 15:49.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2024, 22:55   #229
baggy798
🤍💙💗

I'm sure you've posted this exact same plan about 5 times.🤔

There has been a few builds that fell through this year on fb. T6 into a 760, Jag V8 into 240, big turbo wideboy 940 (currently on ebay), all failed.😢

Git to it boy!

17" Volvo wheels and spacers about £600.

IPD bars about £600.

M90 about £200-300. Oh, you'll be wanting a flywheel. Don't buy the TTV one, 850R clutch kits are NLA. Buy the flywheel/clutch package from speedingparts... about £600.

Exhaust about £600.

Hmm... seems to be a pattern here, like that scene in carry on camping.😂

I have a new 15g core available.😘
Old Feb 19th, 2024, 23:59   #230
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I read you talking about ride comfort a lot so am supprised to read you wanting to fit 17inch wheels to tarnish the ride comfort you like so much. Anyone wanting good ride comfort would be going with 16inch wheels to keep decent side wall height

The anti roll bars I would hold off until you have done the springs as in most cases that gives enough reduction in body roll

turbo a 15g is going to be better than the 13c bit still restrictive. A 16t would be a further step in the right direction as would a 19t. The best turbo of all is the 740/760 garrett T3 but not an easy to find turbo

Flywheel the TTV to 850r is no longer the version to use now that Sachs have scrapped the tooling for the clutch The TTV to original clutch is a cheap option or you can go with the HD DMF conversion package. There are other flywheels on the market but I have seen balancing issue with some of them. The TTV flywheels are all fully balanced.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post: