Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Aftermarket Exhaust for 850 T-5

Views : 1301

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 12th, 2009, 21:40   #1
massivewangers

Default Aftermarket Exhaust for 850 T-5

Right, looking into exhaust upgrades for my T-5. Not planning it for a while yet, but just doing some research so I know what's what!

What are my options and how much is it likely to cost me?

Also, I've noticed with a couple of manufacturers, that the exhaust listed for the R is different, why is this?

Thanks
2013 Megane Renault Sport 265 - For sale
Another Volvo next....?
massivewangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 22:39   #2
John_C
Allons-y!

Ferrita are widely considered to be the dog's danglies, Don @ Kalmar Union tends to have good prices on them. Usually slightly cheaper are BSR/Jetex - I had one and it was fine, sounded nice, but I always kinda regretted not spending the extra on the Ferrita

Noticed in your sig you say you have the recirc valve disabled and then say "chatterrrrrr" - you're not running without any kind of dump/recirc valve are you?
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 23:14   #3
massivewangers

I had a look on the BSR website, but they quote no prices sadly.

Yeah, it's had a blanking plate fitted, so no dump valve of any kind...
Another Volvo next....?
Old Nov 13th, 2009, 07:32   #4
John_C
Allons-y!

There's a price for the Jetex here http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/...th=104_458_462 so at least that will give you an idea. Do check with Don and see if he's doing any deals on the Feritta at the moment though, it's a quality bit of kit.

No DV at all? Well it's your choice but just to say I know a couple of people who've done that and have gone on to find heavy wear to their turbos whereas they were fine before. Might just be coincidence and I know there's a lot of people on the web especially with the tuned Jap cars who say it's fine but I'm not sure the relatively small T5 turbo likes being stalled.

Cheers,
John
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John_C For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 13th, 2009, 11:31   #5
massivewangers

That isn't too bad. Is the Ferita system considered to be better than the Jetex though? As I think they are reasonable similar from a price point of view.

I didn't actually install the blanking plate, the car was like that when I bought it. I know a lot of people in the Ford fraternity who don't use any kind of dump valve and have no problems, and know of a couple of these with it done that have been ok so far.

Some research required perhaps. It's a nice noise, but I don't really want to be doing damage!
Another Volvo next....?
Old Nov 13th, 2009, 12:12   #6
saturnuranus
VOC Member

It is a nice noise, and 15G turbo's are easy to come by and not especially hard to fit. I still think I would be tempted to get a standard recirc valve and refit that - it also makes a nice (albeit quieter) noise.

+1 for the Ferrita exhaust. I read of some quality issues with the Jetex system and went for the Ferrita from Don (Kalmar Union) based solely on those reports. They may have been misplaced but I'm very pleased with what I got .
saturnuranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2009, 12:22   #7
y2blade
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_C View Post
There's a price for the Jetex here http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/...th=104_458_462 so at least that will give you an idea. Do check with Don and see if he's doing any deals on the Feritta at the moment though, it's a quality bit of kit.

No DV at all? Well it's your choice but just to say I know a couple of people who've done that and have gone on to find heavy wear to their turbos whereas they were fine before. Might just be coincidence and I know there's a lot of people on the web especially with the tuned Jap cars who say it's fine but I'm not sure the relatively small T5 turbo likes being stalled.

Cheers,
John
just to jump onto this thread mid flow

I keep looking at getting an exhaust for mine but really dont want it sounding OTT

the Jetex one looks good, thanks
y2blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2009, 12:29   #8
DuncVolvoTurbo
Yes....I'm Back!

I'm really happy with my Jetex, good price, good quality, and a nice subtle growl when going up the revs.
'05 XC90, '97 945, '94 854, '92 964, '93 944, '93 945, '89 244, '92 440
DuncVolvoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DuncVolvoTurbo For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 20th, 2009, 20:11   #9
T240
Pure is Beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncVolvoTurbo View Post
I'm really happy with my Jetex, good price, good quality, and a nice subtle growl when going up the revs.
Not the same vehicle, I know, but recently fitted a Jetex to my 240 - excellent quality aluminized system.

p.s. You can buy direct from Jetex as well - they're based in Stratford, and very helpful.

Cheers,

T