Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60 T5- Wowza I had no Idea

Views : 3146

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 23:12   #1
robbyc

Default S60 T5- Wowza I had no Idea

Hi all, this thread probably only states the obvious for most of you. But jeez I bought my first T5 last week, a completely standard 2002 S60 SE Manual, and I am a little shocked how fast it is compared to supposedly much superior cars. To put it into my perspective. I had a little private duel with a 2001 Audi S8 40V (360BHP), which I know is in good nick as it used to be mine, and he could not get away from me, right into high triple figures. Secondly the handling is so composed and reassuring, it is really easy to push on without any worries (the full set of new P zeros may be helping this I suppose).

So what I am trying to say is, why is such an amazing car, so often slated in magazines in favour of BMWs Mercs, e.t.c, it really is a fantastic bit of kit, even in completely standard form. Anyway I thought I would share my recent conversion with you, even though I am probably preaching to the converted LOL

Kind Regards

Rob
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 20:42   #2
Jameshow

So was the T5 not slower off the mark?
I can imagine the 4.2 having more torque low down getting it moving, but there again it would be heavier.
What is the 0-60 of an S8?
The handling of the T5 is so predictable that's why the police like them, as they are easy to drive fast.
My last Audi an A4 v6 had awful over steer almost tock out stone walls every time I drove it.
Must admit a S6 v10 would be nice and getting affordable now.
What MPG do you get mine's getting 23 - 24 lol but Ive got gas too.

James
Jameshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2012, 00:38   #3
robbyc

Hi, it was a rolling start from 60mph, the audi started to edge away after 140, but nothing in it before that, its 300kg heavier and auto, also i have to say i found the engine alot.more peaky than the t5,s8's peak power was at 7k rpm, also only 60lbs of torque difference, im sure its 4wd would get it going off the line quicker, its 0-60 is 5.8. However it makes the volvo look like a prius in terms of mpg lol
No i went away from volvos to go faster, but i am dead impressed, only the jag xj8r i had was faster in the real world, also did 14mpg ,
Old Jul 28th, 2012, 00:40   #4
robbyc

P.s i get about 26mpg without really trying, i get about 35 at legal motorway speeds
Old Sep 4th, 2012, 22:16   #5
markwar4
V60 D5 AWD R Design

140, I take it this was on a track or private road?
markwar4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 20:04   #6
JamesV70R
Forum Support Team

No Mark, I imagine it was past a primary school at rush hour, in heavy rain and low sun.

Does it really matter?
JamesV70R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to JamesV70R For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 8th, 2012, 20:19   #7
d2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villan View Post
No Mark, I imagine it was past a primary school at rush hour, in heavy rain and low sun.

Does it really matter?
LMAO!!!

i think you'll find it was heading up a 1 way bicycle lane in central LDN...(going the wrong way)
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 20:12   #8
subaqua
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2k View Post
LMAO!!!

i think you'll find it was heading up a 1 way bicycle lane in central LDN...(going the wrong way)
an addison lee taxi then
subaqua is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to subaqua For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 00:45   #9
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyc View Post
Hi all, this thread probably only states the obvious for most of you. But jeez I bought my first T5 last week, a completely standard 2002 S60 SE Manual, and I am a little shocked how fast it is compared to supposedly much superior cars. To put it into my perspective. I had a little private duel with a 2001 Audi S8 40V (360BHP), which I know is in good nick as it used to be mine, and he could not get away from me, right into high triple figures. Secondly the handling is so composed and reassuring, it is really easy to push on without any worries (the full set of new P zeros may be helping this I suppose).

So what I am trying to say is, why is such an amazing car, so often slated in magazines in favour of BMWs Mercs, e.t.c, it really is a fantastic bit of kit, even in completely standard form. Anyway I thought I would share my recent conversion with you, even though I am probably preaching to the converted LOL

Kind Regards

Rob
Get it stage 3 and you'll be surprised what can't get away from you.

N/A may have big power figures... but it's the torque in the real world that makes it fly.

Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey
t5_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2012, 22:52   #10
markwar4
V60 D5 AWD R Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villan View Post

Does it really matter?
Yes it does matter. Irresponsible and downright dangerous.
markwar4 is offline   Reply With Quote