Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is it expensive to change steering wheel?

Views : 954

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 11:09   #1
jp11

Default Is it expensive to change steering wheel?

I'm thinking of buying an S80. But it has a horrible cream coloured steering wheel. It shouldn't be too difficult to find a black one (and a black gear knob) from a breaker. Would it be expensive to have it changed?
jp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 11:10   #2
mikealder
VOC Member

About £12 for the correct size Torx key from Halfords and do it yourself, only takes 20 minutes - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 14:40   #3
jp11

What about the airbag?
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 14:46   #4
Yosser
Gizza job - I can do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp11 View Post
What about the airbag?
Disconnect the battery before you start the job and you'll be fine - if you don't you 'll risk more than an airbag light....

I swapped the wheel in the V70 for an S80 one and it wasn't difficult.
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 16:49   #5
jp11

So, what's the procedure for changing the wheel?
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 17:06   #6
mikealder
VOC Member

1/ Disconnect battery and leave car alone for 20 minutes.

2/
Remove plastic trim just forward of the steering wheel, three Torx head bolts in the lower portion, romoval of these items makes access to the airbag screws easier.

3/ Put the wheel at 90 degrees to the left from straight ahead and you will feel/ see a small hole in the rear of the steering wheel at the 12 o'clock position, insert a T30 allen key wrench in to the hole and make sure it enters the head of the screw fully, undo the screw, it is captive and won't come out fully when undone.

4/ Turn steering wheel back to straight ahead then 90 degrees from straight ahead in to the right, you see/ feel another small hole at the 12 o'clock position, insert a T30 allen key wrench in to the hole and make sure it enters the head of the screw fully, undo the screw, it is capative and won't come out fully when undone.

5/ Carefully remove the center portion of the steering wheel which is the horn push and airbag.

6/ Disconnect the airbag connection and put the airbag to one side.

7/ Use an 18MM socket to undo the center bolt securing the steering wheel to the steering column.

8/ Pull the steering wheel of the spline shaft while feeding the airbag contact reel though the wheel.

Refit is the reverse of removal, when you put the key in the ignition for the first time and switch it on do it stood next to the car rather than sat in the drivers seat just in case the airbag deploys - It shouldn't if you have put everything back correctly.

The Torx wrench I use came from This set - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 23:04   #7
jp11

Wow, that would scare the pants of me. But you've done it, so I guess it's OK. And you don't get any lights or error codes etc.?
I've just bought a very nice magic blue SE Lux with cream trim (not cream/black, which I'd have preferred). So I guess a black wheel and gearknob will tone it down a bit.