Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Nurburgring trip - August

Views : 721

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 14th, 2006, 14:58   #1
logicaltuning

Default Nurburgring trip - August

Well im going over to the nurburgring agaun in August (this time in my 740 )

and was wondering weather anyone on here has been, or would consider going?!

still places available through my website if anyones interesdted!

loads of information in this thread and the general chat forum

http://www.logicaltuning.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=798

see quite a few tasty volvos, inclduing an 850 T5-R with welded up back doors, full cage and some serious brake and engine mods!

its a trip of a lifetime and the ultimate place for anypetrol head

be warned though, i killed my rover there last year and set fire to the brakes on my hire car!!!!!
logicaltuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 14:54   #2
James_N
VOC Member

I was thinking of taking my 740 round there when a few mates go there. Probably around May time. Unsure whether its a good idea to take a £100 volvo all the way to the ring, thrash it around the ring, then drive it back
James_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 21:22   #3
logicaltuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_N
I was thinking of taking my 740 round there when a few mates go there. Probably around May time. Unsure whether its a good idea to take a £100 volvo all the way to the ring, thrash it around the ring, then drive it back
if you break it, scrap it there and catch a plane home, job done.
logicaltuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 10:55   #4
ian.p

ive been and hope to be going again this year if i can get the car finished in time.
must confess though not in a volvo, im a bit of a mini fan too (not the bmw type) the classic mini. the club i belong to this year are meeting at silverstone, with a lap there then all off to nurburgring and a lap.
i know a lot of cars will leave the mini on the straights but when it comes to the bends you wont get past a mini
ive just put a mg turbo in mine and cant wait to get it set up, need to get it to a rolling road.
as for going in a 100 quid car, why not? if you go with a group your not going to be left stranded if the worst does happen.
ian
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 11:58   #5
g-wagon

Looking at the posts up on that link, I was thinking that the pricing they have quoted is a little optimistic isn't it? £400 for a trip to the ring? If I was to go I would set myself a budget of about £1000. I have never been though, but I got some pointers off someone who has, so this is where I am getting my estimates. I am thinkning of going next summer, so if anyone thinks any of my esimates are utter rubbish, please tell me.

I just did a few rough calculations, and I have come to the conclusion it is just above £1000 to get there and back (petrol), accomodation, petrol for laps and lap tickets. So depending on how much food you are gonna be eating, i reckon glens budget is about right. (maybe its a bit high, but better safe than sorry.)
I have done this for 1 person, maybe glen was living lavishly when there, but hey, why not eh?

What are the petrol prices like in germany? And is the petrol any more expensive at the ring?

4nights at recommended hotel(with given averageprice) = 4 x £30 = £120

Ferry crossing (taken to be a return ticket) = £200

Total miles to the ring from aberdeen on road, 340, i would reckon about 2 to 3 tanks (no doubt be flat out) at £50 a tank = 3 x £50 = £150
x 2 to get back again = £300

Lap tickets (5 a day @ £10 each, there for 4 days) = 4 x £50 = £200

Petrol for the ring (This is a massive estimate, maybe a tank a day? Confused) = 4 x £50 = £200..

So that comes to about £1020, then you have to add on food and drinks, and that special fall over juice glen mentioned.

If it was me, I would budget a lot more than that just to be on the safe side, and i hate being on holiday and having to be tight about money.

Would everyone else agree with that? let me know if you think I'm talking utter **** about anything.

This was taken from a sight I regularly use, so i have done this a few weeks ago. Let me know what u think.
g-wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 16:19   #6
chriskay

I'd make a couple of modifications to those prices. Last year I found petrol prices on the Continent slightly higher than here. £200 ferry sounds high; presumably a North Sea crossing, should be able to get it for £50 (from Dover) Last year a 5 lap ticket cost 60 Euro, so total cost about £160. Fuel for Ring; depends what you're driving, but I averaged 11 miles/gallon so 20 laps X 14 miles = 280 @ 11/gallon = 25 gallons = 115 litres @ say £1/litre = £115. Figure used implies 6 MPG, which I think a bit pessimistic. Road mileage consumption equates to approx. 10 MPG; once again, a bit pessimistic; I averaged 22 MPG on the road & not hanging about. (850 T5).
Just my ideas.
Cheers, Chris.
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 18:46   #7
g-wagon

Ok thats fair. As said I have never been so I was just very very roughly estimating.

As for the crossing, I just got told a price so i went with it. However, the ferry crossing is from rosyth to zeerbruge(sp?) which eliminates driving all the way to dover from aberdeen,then driving through france to germany.It only leaves about 240 miles to the ring once in zeebruge, so the extra crossing price evens out the petrol prices I reckon.

I think you are right with the revised petrol prices, hadn't thought about breaking it down the way you did, and 6mpg is very pessimistic, (wish i had a car that did 6mpg, ford GT anyone?). As for the driving to the ring, yes, 10mpg is very low too, so again, you are about right with the 22mpg.
The guy I was taking some pointers from drove his porsche 996 C4S there though, thats where the higher petrol prices might have come from, much more than my 2.3 V5 bora.

Thanks for those pointers, I will bear that in mind when I come to planning my trip there.
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 20:32   #8
chriskay

I reckon Rosyth to Zeebrugge @ £200 is cheaper than driving the extra mileage to Dover & then through France & Belgium & back. Doubt you'd do that on £150 worth of petrol. Also, less stressful & you'll find the 'Ring provides all the stress you want. In fact, I'm not sure I'd want to do 5 laps a day on 4 consecutive days. Give yourself a day off & enjoy some of the great roads in the Eiffel region.
Cheers, Chris.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 17:19   #9
g-wagon

From what I have heard it may be worth taking a day off to relax.
I have also been told to try and make it to Reims. Below are a few pictures off the VW website I use, but this guy took his porsche with him. The place looks absolutly fantastic, as do the pictures they took. Hope you lot don't mind it all being porsche content of the 2 pictures, but this place has been highly recommended, and maybe others would be interested if you're heading over.

Here is what was said, it sounds like an amazing place.

"If you have a few days to kill, and are looking for a drive on some great roads, in stunning countryside, somewhere to enjoy the local food and drink....and have any sort of interest in Motorsport and it's history...you HAVE to go to Reims!

The place is utterly haunting...it's sublime...
You can find the old grandstands as the main road passes through where the track used to be...spend a few hours chilling out and soaking up the atmosphere...it's awesome.

It's a few hours south of Zebrugge...in the wrong direction for the 'ring...but it's magical and I can't recommend the trip enough...I'd go back tomorrow."

Old Mar 20th, 2006, 18:21   #10
KVB

Hello,

Myself and a mate have a trip planned for Easter weekend. This is his third and my second visit to Nurburg and I can't wait to go. It's basically a weekend trip as Friday and Monday will be travel days and the other two tracking our cars.

Any way, here are some numbers worth looking at:

Roundtrip Ferry from Dover to France - £50, I don't know how my mate pulled this off, but the last ferry crossing cost £100. Personally, I favor using the ferry as it gives us a break and some time to enjoy a meal.

We stayed at the On Road Cafe and had a bar/dinner tab going, but all said and done for about 100 euro for the three nights. We drank quite a bit one night and had a few meals. It was only about 8 minutes from the track and provided an excellent nights rest.

Petrol will vary, obviously, but 4 fillups will be about right to get there, have our fun, and get back. I don't know what the rate for petrol is at the moment, but if you are seriously concerned I'm sure you can find out via google.

A couple of local dinners can be added at 15 euro each.

Overall it's a great place to visit and have some fun with your car. Are any others planning on going the spring?

Kevin