Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Major engine problem!!

Views : 1798

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 23:27   #1
George Holmer

Got my "new" car today. I took it for an MOT and they laughed at me. A number of lights not working, the brakes are funny and the steering rack f**k (this is a qoute). However, I asked him if would be dangerous to drive to Belgium, and he sauid no so I did so and had no problems. Now, there is a big problem with the engine, because it smokes badly, so badly I was not allowed to drive onto the Eurotunnel train for fear of setting of the smoke alarm, I had to push the car onto the train. What happens is that at low revs, the engine smokes blue-grey smoke, this goes away with more revs and crusing along the motorway at 3500 rpm and 70 mph (overdrive is broken), the engine was fine. At lower revs, the engine does stutter quite a bit. Also, when slowing down and disengaging the clutch, at roundabout or red light say, the engine dies and but if restarted and with gear in, it is runs, but the idle goes back and forth from 300 to 1500 rpm. Now, be cruel if needs be because if I need a new engine, I'll get one. I paid 100 quid for this car, and that is less than I paid for the sunroof for the other. Interior and exterior wise the car is fine, given it is 14 yo and has done 272000 miles. One other question, here in Belgium, most 700 petrol turbo for tax reasons were 2 litre rather than 2.3 litre, would a B200ET fit fine in my car?

George

'87 745 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler
'88 745 Turbo Intercooler
Old Jul 31st, 2002, 23:56   #2
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Default RE: Major engine problem!!

A B200ET would certainly fit as it was derived from the B230. Your problem will be to match the fuel injection and ignition systems if they are different. However according to the Green book on B200/230 engines they should be identical in all respects. You might get away with thoroughly cleaning the PCV parts, inlet tract and associated items as the symptoms produced could be due to an excess of dirt/timing error. If it has EGR fitted you will need to ditch it which may require a non EGR exhaust manifold. EGR will coke up the inlet a treat!!

All the best, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2002, 09:02   #3
George Holmer

Sorry for my ignorance but what is PCV? Also, I am not sure but I do not think this has EGR. How can I tell on a petrol turbo?

Having replaced the vacuum hose between the vacuum pump and the master brake cylinder, I now have not only servo effect on the brakes but the idle is fine, it does not stall and the smoke is better. My mechanic, however, says new engine. He wants over 2000 pounds for this, that seems a bit over the top. What do you people think?

George

'89 440 GL 1.7 (Looking for Turbo)
Old Aug 1st, 2002, 22:53   #4
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Default RE: Major engine problem!!

Positive Crankcase Ventilation, there being no flame trap internals with a turbo but the tubing may still get blocked. It is possible that EGR was not fitted to this particular car but was fitted to quite a few B230ET engines. If it is fitted there is a thermostatic valve, usually in a coolant hose, which switches the vacuum from the inlet to the EGR valve underneath the inlet manifold. This has larger tubes from the inlet and exhaust manifolds.

What reasons does your mechanic give for demanding a new engine? Especially as you can get one from any good scrap dealer for a couple of hundred pounds.

All the best, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 08:04   #5
George Holmer

My mechanic does not recommend a new engine, he suggests and old engine but he came up with this incredible qoute, perhaps because mine is a RHD. I am still investigating various options.

George

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 09:20   #6
George Holmer

No, I am quite sure there is no EGR fitted. However, there was a posting on Brickboard about oil in the turbo causing clouds of blue-grey smoke. I cleaned out the hoses between intercooler and turbo and intercooler and inlet. I also cleaned out the airbox and replaced the airfilter. There was oil in the airbox, the airfilter had a fair bit of oil on it. Now, the engine is fine and does not blow at all, just a little, little bit at start up and the first press on the accelerator. I am thinking that an engine which is so bad it needs replacing cannot surely be so easily fixed. It's like a whole new car.

Worn bearings and seals in the turbo is one suggestion I have heard, any idea, you turbo people out there?

George

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 19:45   #7
nokiaman

What you need to do is take of the intake pipe on the turbo, this is when the engine is swithched off the keys are out of the ignition and in your pocket I say this because what you are about to do will loose all your fingers if someone decides to help you and start the engine while you are checking this. Like I said take of the intake pipe from the turbo, this will be the soft rubber pipe about 2/3 inches in diameter. Once this is off and out of the way you will be able to feel inside the turbo. You should feel a shaft and some vains which should look similar to what the front of a jet engine looks like and a comercial jet the you would go on holiday in. Now take hold of the shaft and see if you can lift it up and down, you should not feel hardly any play on this at all as the tolerences on these are so fine it is critical that they do not move up and down otherwise the vains will strike the outer casing and thats the end of your turbo and if it fails on the inlet side you can say goodby to your engine as well. Once you have determind that there is no lift on the shaft then try back and for movement as this could cause oil to be passed by the oil seal and cause oil to feed directly into the exhaust hence you will leave a big trail of smoke which will be worse on overrun as the load is of the turbo and oil can pass by freely. If you want more advice on this feel free to email me at nokiaman@possy5.fsnet.co.uk I have a bit of experienc with turbos mainly in the truck world for about 16 years so i know a little. You are advised to replace this turbo if in any doubt about the condition of the shaft and vains as this will cuase engine damage if it fails. Just one piece of advice which all turbo owners should take. After you have driven for any distance the turbo will get very hot indeed. So this is critical to the long life of your turbo, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE I can not press this enough before you switch the engine off let it tick over for two to three minuites a s this will alow the oil to cool the turbo down not only that but a turbo spins at 10 times the speed of the engine so if you are driving at 70 mph and the engine is doing 3000rpm then you turbo is doing 30,000 rpm and if you then stop and switch the engine off you can see that this will still be spining around with no oil to feed it and a t a very high temperature.

Yours
Stephen