Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Can I Have Some Advice

Views : 512

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 21st, 2010, 09:12   #1
dragon

Default Can I Have Some Advice

Would like some advice from those who know more than myself,i have a volvo 940 estate GLE on a 1994 plate which makes it 17 years old in early 2011,ive had the car for around 3 years,its got quite a lot of service history, full tan leather.... theres not even a pin prick of rust anywhere on the car,its recently just had cam belts changed and also the tensioners by CP Motors of Tamworth and some other work like leads,dizzy cap,oil service,and some bushes replaced on the front end ect ect.it does have a bit of piston slap on the one cylinder (cp motors told me) and a knock on the front nearside(possibly another bush) and a very slight misfire...the car runs like a dream and ive spent some very happy hours on the road with her,Recently ive had problems with my sight and my eyes are deteriating badly so at the end of october im going to be handing in my car licence so how much do you think the car is worth? its taxed till end of april 2011 and has MOT till january 20th 2011..I know its virtually impossible but what im hoping for is a good average price.the car will have to be sold as i wont be able to drive her myself and just seems a complete waste leaving it outside to rot away..she deserves better than this.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 09:27   #2
Oilydad
Premier Member

Cool

Sadly it may well be worth more for the spare parts than for the entire car.

Best bet is to search through Ebay and get a rough idea, but every car is different, and as always, what you get for it, will be what somebody will be prepared to pay.

With piston slap, bushes, a misfire and the MOT running out in less than 3 Months , it's not really going to ring a lot of bells. Basically whoever might buy it, will be in for some expensive work. An engine recon alone to deal with the piston slap, would make it uneconomical. It's also 16 years old.

Unfortunately there are loads of older Volvos like this. Absolute workhorses, and built like tanks, but worth very little except to their owners. There are also a lot that are in far better condition, and without any problems.

You may find someone to take it who can do their own work, or just for a cheap runabout until it dies, but without a longer MOT, I'd say you'd be unlucky.

Sorry....Just being realistic.
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 14:25   #3
james 1992 940

Like Oilydad said above

Best bet probably to sell on Ebay and let it set its own price, just hope for someone who wants a better condition body for their good engine
Definately aggree that these cars are worth alot more to their owners than they get in real money unfortunately