Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Radio Software

Views : 1333

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 21st, 2015, 10:56   #1
Miike

Default Radio Software

Hi All, new to posting on these forums, even though I have been browsing a while, basically what I would like to know is, what software download do Volvo do when you go to them after putting in a HU-803 from a HU-603 to make the back lighting and the steering controls work? The cars a 2002 s60 D5.

From trawling through 100s of threads on all different forums I have come to the conclusion its Part No.:9438438 - AUM Reload but is it only this?

As I also found on VIDA Part No.:9488840 - Add software HU-803, which seems like it should be that? (aswell as the reload maybe?) as your adding the HU-803 Headunit to a car with only the software for the HU-603? Or am I wrong?

Volvo in 'Preston' quoted me £118.20 labour plus 'roughly' £40/50 in software fees, but wont tell me what software they will be downloading, where as I know a independent garage with access to vida etc and they will only charge me £25 for plugging it in plus the software costs, which is a lot lot cheaper, but they are unsure of what software is needed, and have told me if I can find out, they'll happily do it for me.

Sorry its abit longwinded but can anyone shed some light on the exact software Volvo put onto the car to get the back lighting working please?

Thanks in advance
Mike

TL;DR: What software do Volvo upload to a car upgrading from a HU-603 to a HU-803?
Miike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2015, 13:43   #2
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

Hi Miike.

To the best of my knowledge you don't need any different software to change the HU. What I think is more likely is that the new unit you have is either faulty, ie the backlights don't work or it's not a close enough match to the old one in age. Volvo changed the coded instructions at times during production.

Software might fix it, but I would make sure the HU-803 you have is fully working before spending any money.
Missing Lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2015, 13:57   #3
Miike

Hiya mate, the car it came out of was an 03 and was fully functional (should of said this lol)

When I plugged it in to test it worked, the display lit up and worked as it should (could save radio stations etc, etc) just the steering controls and back lighting wasn't lit up, and after many days of trawling through thread after thread 80% say you have to get a software update to get the lights and controls working, a few say it all worked without an update and a minority say the dealers have said it isn't possible without a brand new/reconditioned unit.

After ringing Volvo and getting quoted a silly price, and with them saying they can do it, (shows that it can be done via a software update) but not telling me the software they upload to the car, I'm stuck, as i cant bring myself to pay ~£160 just to get the back lights and controls working, whereas id pay the cheaper option, but they just need to know the software that needs uploading.
Old Aug 21st, 2015, 16:15   #4
reggit
Premier Member

Mike - Try Southport Auto centre, they've got a thread in the general section and say they have full vida and are able to download software.

Got to be cheaper than Doves in Preston.
Old Aug 21st, 2015, 16:23   #5
Miike

Thanks, ill give them a ring, only problem is, i have had a cheap quote on getting the software done, its just a question of what software needs to be put onto the car.. ill give them a ring and ask if they know anything and report back.. Thanks again

Last edited by Miike; Aug 21st, 2015 at 16:36.
Old Aug 21st, 2015, 16:36   #6
Miike

Just rang and they charge £60+VAT for plugging it in plus software costs.
They are unsure of the software that will be needed to go on, but they said they would have ago, seems okay but if they cant get it to work and start uploading alsorts, prices could go high rather quickly/if they give up its a fair bit of money wasted
Whereas another independant (Corners garage) in lytham st annes charge £25 for plugging it in then software on top of that.

Last edited by Miike; Aug 21st, 2015 at 16:40.
Old Aug 21st, 2015, 17:25   #7
Miike

Just another update which i have been thinking about, when i rang the dealers they said the software would cost me around £40, when you go on volvos webstore get the price for the AUM Reload roughly $55 i think, convert that to pounds, it comes to roughly £39, until someone can say the exact software, thats as close as i can come to thinking its the AUM Reload software you need to make the headunit lightup and steering controls to work
Old Aug 21st, 2015, 17:35   #8
Miike

To jasmith44 Thanks for the PM but unfortunately i cant Pm until ive reached 30 posts, so ill hope he stops by this thread.
Thanks again pal
Old Nov 21st, 2016, 20:48   #9
Delirious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miike View Post
Just another update which i have been thinking about, when i rang the dealers they said the software would cost me around £40, when you go on volvos webstore get the price for the AUM Reload roughly $55 i think, convert that to pounds, it comes to roughly £39, until someone can say the exact software, thats as close as i can come to thinking its the AUM Reload software you need to make the headunit lightup and steering controls to work
Have you got this sorted out? I am doing this right now and my lights and steering controls don't work either!
Delirious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2016, 21:08   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miike View Post
Hi All, new to posting on these forums, even though I have been browsing a while, basically what I would like to know is, what software download do Volvo do when you go to them after putting in a HU-803 from a HU-603 to make the back lighting and the steering controls work? The cars a 2002 s60 D5.

From trawling through 100s of threads on all different forums I have come to the conclusion its Part No.:9438438 - AUM Reload but is it only this?

As I also found on VIDA Part No.:9488840 - Add software HU-803, which seems like it should be that? (aswell as the reload maybe?) as your adding the HU-803 Headunit to a car with only the software for the HU-603? Or am I wrong?

Volvo in 'Preston' quoted me £118.20 labour plus 'roughly' £40/50 in software fees, but wont tell me what software they will be downloading, where as I know a independent garage with access to vida etc and they will only charge me £25 for plugging it in plus the software costs, which is a lot lot cheaper, but they are unsure of what software is needed, and have told me if I can find out, they'll happily do it for me.

Sorry its abit longwinded but can anyone shed some light on the exact software Volvo put onto the car to get the back lighting working please?

Thanks in advance
Mike

TL;DR: What software do Volvo upload to a car upgrading from a HU-603 to a HU-803?
I know it is over a year ago but this should help :

http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-...CC-425595/2002

technically you cant get a used radio to work properly in another car due to the theft prevention system ...

A AUM reload will put the same software back in a NEW radio of the same type that it replaced .

an APPLICATION software will allow a NEW ( not second hand ) radio of a different type ..