Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dension DAB+U

Views : 2479

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 9th, 2016, 23:26   #1
benplunkett

Default Dension DAB+U

Evening All,

I've just put a deposit down on my first Volvo, a 2009 V70 D5, and pick it up next week.

I wish to add DAB radio to the car, if at all possible, without a visible extra box.

It has the high performance sound system with single CD. 3.5mm aux and USB inputs are present in the centre console. Once I get the car I intend to check for the factory DAB pre-wiring but i'm not positive this will be there.

I've seen the Dension DAB+U (http://www.dension.com/products/dab-solutions/dabu) that sounds like it should be able to connect to the USB input of the car and be controlled through the headunit.

Has anyone on here fitted one to a V70?

Thanks in advance, Ben
benplunkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 20:48   #2
murphyslaw

I will be very interested in this, mine doesn't have hands-free or DAB (or a USB socket), so I'm trying to remain very optimistic
murphyslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 23:00   #3
benplunkett

I've received a reply from the Dension tech support - apparently my V70 should be compatible.

The part is ordered and I pick up the car tomorrow so should know by the end of the week!

Murphyslaw, without a USB input I suspect you'll be limited to one of the units that broadcasts FM to your stereo. Control is usually through a separate remote or similar.
The Following User Says Thank You to benplunkett For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2016, 21:03   #4
murphyslaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by benplunkett View Post
I've received a reply from the Dension tech support - apparently my V70 should be compatible.

The part is ordered and I pick up the car tomorrow so should know by the end of the week!

Murphyslaw, without a USB input I suspect you'll be limited to one of the units that broadcasts FM to your stereo. Control is usually through a separate remote or similar.
Thanks, Ben - I'll take a look! How's the purchase, happy?
murphyslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 09:38   #5
tt82
Forum Support Team

A good looking unit but it does mean you must choose between DAB and a USB memory stick with music stored on it. It's really about time Volvo pulled their finger out and came up with a solution where the existing headunit can be upgraded to DAB.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 17:09   #6
andyg
S80 D3 Geartonic 2013

Default Try the DABMotion - it works for me.

Hi guys. You could try the DABMotion after market add-on unit? (AKA Celsus DAB 1001). It all fits nicely away out of sight apart from the small control unit which communicates by wireless to the hidden radio box. Like all DAB adapters it does need a good antenna. I have found the ones that stick onto an internal glass surface pretty much useless. So I have ended up with a magnetic mount whip antenna fitted on the rear wing of the car which captures a very good signal. I routed the antenna coax through the boot lid opening.

One tip.... If you do use the DABMotion then try setting the Syncmode to "Autoscan". I find that if it is left in the default "AFD" H or L settings then it changes the VHF transmit channel too often with associated crackles and noises.

I am just a Volvo driver, not in any way associated with DABMotion/Celsus. You can buy them on Amazon and other websites. More info here....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celsus-DAB10...ital-Interface

Andy
2000s: 1 x S60 diesel. 1 x S80 diesel.
2010s: 1 x S80 diesel.
andyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 21:15   #7
benplunkett

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyslaw View Post
Thanks, Ben - I'll take a look! How's the purchase, happy?
Got the unit yesterday and i've not been able to get it working yet. On connection the volvo display states 'USB UNREADABLE'.

I've put in a ticket to Dension support, see if it needs a specific configuration file or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
A good looking unit but it does mean you must choose between DAB and a USB memory stick with music stored on it. It's really about time Volvo pulled their finger out and came up with a solution where the existing headunit can be upgraded to DAB.
There's an addon cable that provides a USB slot for stored music. This is equipped with a switch to go between the USB and DAB without unplugging anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyg View Post
Hi guys. You could try the DABMotion after market add-on unit? (AKA Celsus DAB 1001). It all fits nicely away out of sight apart from the small control unit which communicates by wireless to the hidden radio box. Like all DAB adapters it does need a good antenna. I have found the ones that stick onto an internal glass surface pretty much useless. So I have ended up with a magnetic mount whip antenna fitted on the rear wing of the car which captures a very good signal. I routed the antenna coax through the boot lid opening.
Thanks - this is one of the options I looked and is one of the backups if I can't get the Dension working. My only reasoning for going with the Dension first is that control through the stereo rather than an additional remote.
The Following User Says Thank You to benplunkett For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2016, 23:15   #8
benplunkett

Well I've not been able to get the Dension unit working.

Dension support provided me with a number of configuration files to try but nothings worked so far.

I fitted up a DAB Motion Rola this evening and it worked perfectly straight off, I'll do a proper wired-in install at the weekend.

Looks like the Dension unit will be going back!
Old Jan 28th, 2016, 22:19   #9
andyg
S80 D3 Geartonic 2013

Default Hope the DAB Motion worked for you?

Ben,
Hope it worked for you? I have been using one of these DAB Motion units for a while now and it seems like a good solution. Any questions, or have you got it all sorted?
Cheers,
Andy
2000s: 1 x S60 diesel. 1 x S80 diesel.
2010s: 1 x S80 diesel.
andyg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dab, digital, radio, usb, v70