Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Deadlocks and car unlocking itself

Views : 984

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 2nd, 2013, 21:32   #1
AndyPants
VOC Member

Default Deadlocks and car unlocking itself

Over the winter my '96 850 developed a bit of an annoying problem where sometimes, whilst the car still locks fine (including flashing the indicators), it appears to fail to deadlock afterwards (with a second flash). Unlocking and then relocking the car occasionally results in it locking - unlocking - and then relocking again the latter two without touching the fob buttons!

Since its got warmer the problem doesn't happen quite so often except the car has now twice randomly unlocked itself 3 days or so after it was locked... Opening the door results in the alarm going off, until silenced with the fob.

Now in November I took off the door card and replaced the door strap and from doing a bit of digging I read that there is a switch that might need lubricating? Is this something thats easily accessible (albeit once the door cards removed)? Or does the door lock have to come out, which I imagine would be a bit of a ball ache... Any advice would be appreciated.

Probably also worth mentioning that my interior light and door light appear to behave fine.

Last time I followed this excellent guide:
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/int...oval-pics.html
Old May 2nd, 2013, 21:47   #2
SHI

If the doors aren't fully closed, the locks will go down but it won't deadlock. So it looks like you have microswitch problem.
I lubricated mine but it made little difference. They all work freely but if you close the door gently the footwell light stays on and it won't deadlock.
Plus I have a rear door that doesn't deadlock even though the others do.
SHI is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SHI For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2013, 17:49   #3
AndyPants
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHI View Post
If the doors aren't fully closed, the locks will go down but it won't deadlock. So it looks like you have microswitch problem.
I lubricated mine but it made little difference. They all work freely but if you close the door gently the footwell light stays on and it won't deadlock.
Plus I have a rear door that doesn't deadlock even though the others do.
Thanks, might be something to try when it gets a bit darker, I'll try gently closing it and see what happens with the footwell light.

My 760 had an interior light issue on the passenger side with a microswitch (when the interior light came on only for a split second), I got a replacement swtich from the scrappys but in the end with a bit of use it cured itself.

Suppose it'll be off with the door card again... (and a hope for the best!)
Old May 3rd, 2013, 18:08   #4
AndyPants
VOC Member

Well being impatient I just checked the door by shutting it gently and the door footwell and end lights go off fine. I also tried locking the car with me inside and naturally it deadlocked fine (checked all doors), thankfully the fob let me out again Also checked the petrol flap lock and that seems to work fine too.

After writing this I just realised I haven't tried the boot, wonder if that again has a microswitch somewhere.

Might leave it for the time being unless it becomes more consistent and add another item to the scrapyard spares list!