Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2014 S60 D5 Lux Nav R-Line G/T

Views : 4153

Replies : 75

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 29th, 2024, 21:49   #31
Waqar92

I have someone who will bring his diagnostics tool over on Wednesday evening, to dig deeper into finding out what is required.

I’ve also asked him if he can analyse readings for the engine, such as historical issues or misfires. I don’t know how much it stores or what VIDA can pull out, but hoping it all is and has been in good working order.

Any advise as to what I could ask him to check, or any readings which can signify problems? It may be a stupid question since I don’t know much about what diagnostic tools can do, but assuming I can pull some useful information out about it’s stored history (if any).
Waqar92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2024, 22:43   #32
Waqar92

Something else I have noticed. When I am manoeuvring the vehicle at slow speeds (i.e reversing into the driveway with a full lock), the steering is making a slight noise (can only describe it like multiple pings, sounding springy). Obviously I don’t know if it is supposed to feel how it is, since there is no noticeable issue with steering the vehicle or driving but concerning that there may be an issue arising with the steering rack.

Anyone know what it could be?

P.s I don’t dry steer since I am aware of the pressure it puts on the steering rack and wear on tyres, especially a car with a heavier front.
Old Apr 30th, 2024, 09:31   #33
Waqar92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waqar92 View Post
Something else I have noticed. When I am manoeuvring the vehicle at slow speeds (i.e reversing into the driveway with a full lock), the steering is making a slight noise (can only describe it like multiple pings, sounding springy). Obviously I don’t know if it is supposed to feel how it is, since there is no noticeable issue with steering the vehicle or driving but concerning that there may be an issue arising with the steering rack.

Anyone know what it could be?

P.s I don’t dry steer since I am aware of the pressure it puts on the steering rack and wear on tyres, especially a car with a heavier front.
Further to the above, I’ve noticed that it is not just at stationery to slow speeds but when I am driving between 5-15mph. With around 20-30 degrees steering input to the left or right, I hear a slight springing noise whilst moving the wheel.

What is that?

Last edited by Waqar92; Apr 30th, 2024 at 09:34.
Old Apr 30th, 2024, 11:37   #34
Kev0607
Premier Member

Could be a cracked/broken spring or a bad strut mount.
Old Apr 30th, 2024, 15:08   #35
Waqar92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Could be a cracked/broken spring or a bad strut mount.
Thanks. I have booked it in to my local mechanics. Hoping it is nothing major. Dealer said he will cover costs.

Car does vibrate when breaking so I take that disks may also be slightly warped. Will find out tomorrow.
Old Apr 30th, 2024, 21:23   #36
Waqar92

Here is the sound that it makes. I don’t usually move the steering whilst stationary but it doesn’t require much input before you can hear the clang sounds.

https://youtu.be/ynSbYsuu8Rk
Old Apr 30th, 2024, 22:06   #37
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waqar92 View Post
Here is the sound that it makes. I don’t usually move the steering whilst stationary but it doesn’t require much input before you can hear the clang sounds.

https://youtu.be/ynSbYsuu8Rk
Its hard to say, as the engine noise distorts the sound.

I think it sounds like a spring or strut mount. That’s my guess.
Old May 1st, 2024, 09:16   #38
Waqar92

I’ve just dropped it off at my local mechanic’s. It is indeed looking like power steering related, since the fluid has dropped over the last few days.

Not sure what to do from here. I’ll let the mechanic pinpoint the issue, but I’ve got a feeling this is not a good sign?

What usually happens from here? Is it as simple as identifying the leak or can this become expensive?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0339.jpg (108.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0351.jpg (108.5 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Waqar92; May 1st, 2024 at 09:18.
Old May 1st, 2024, 10:15   #39
Kev0607
Premier Member

Would have to be diagnosed really to find out what the issue is. It could be something as simple as a leaking hose, or it could be something leaking on the power steering rack itself. Fluid loss like that definitely isn't normal.
Old May 1st, 2024, 14:56   #40
Waqar92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Would have to be diagnosed really to find out what the issue is. It could be something as simple as a leaking hose, or it could be something leaking on the power steering rack itself. Fluid loss like that definitely isn't normal.
There is no visible leak. Dealer mentioned about checking levels when cold and warm, which cause change. His advise was to top it up, and if any issues/leak then contact him back.

I’ve purchased a litre of CHF11S, which I’ll top up first thing in the morning. Hopefully it’s just a lack of fluid causing the noise (assuming air in the system due to underfill).