Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Articles
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series Articles How to's and Guides for the 200 series.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to replace front wishbone bushes

Views : 9422

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 26th, 2007, 22:31   #1
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Default How to replace front wishbone bushes

Thought this guide to replacing wishbone bushes might be helpful.

I will make the assumption that you know how to remove the wishbones. Removal of the bushes is possible without a hydraulic press if you have a large strong vice.

Rear bush - this is held onto the wishbone by a 19mm nut which once undone allows the housing to be pulled off.
This can then be placed in a vice to start pushing it out using a couple of sockets as spacers to allow the bush to move - see phote:

Once it has moved so the bush is partly out a further large socket (smaller than the bush) is used to drift it fully out:

If the outer casing of the bush seperates from the rubber and gets left in it is necessary to find a socket that has exactly the right exterior diameter to be able to push it out - some WD40 mto lubricate can help.

Clean the housing ready for the new bush. These bushes are handed so make sure you know which bush is which - the difference is the hardness of the rubber. Support the housing over the vice so that the bush can be placed on top of the hole. It can then be gently tapped into place making sure it goes down squarely. Normally it can be tapped in all the way - it is important to ensure squareness at all times.

Front bush - looking at the bush will show which wa it has to be pressed out. Again 3 sockets can be used to start pressing it out:

This will not get it completely out but it is easy to drift out with a suitable drift:

If the casing is left again this can be pressed out with the right sized socket:

Again clean up the housing and start tapping the bush in making sure you are putting it in from the correct side. Once started it is easier to press in using the vice:

This will push it partly in, two sockets as spacers are needed to complete the installation.

Hope this is useful.

Mike

Last edited by Mike_Brace; Dec 26th, 2007 at 22:37.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike_Brace For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 10:30   #2
Andrew (UK)
VOC Member

Excellent write up and pictures.

I have always done that big bushing with a copper and hide mallet but using the vice like that looks better. I am surprised that you can get enough force in the vice to do the small bushings, maybe I just need a bigger vice!

Andrew
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 15:26   #3
chesters6
Master Member

my bro in law batters them out with my sds drill ,i did see somewhere on an american? site a remover using stock gas? fitting pieces which looked interesting perhaps it can be adapted if the sizes vary in bushes.
i had lost the link but a search found it again

http://www-ese.fnal.gov/People/wilce...shing_tool.htm

whether the parts are available in the sizes mentioned i have no idea but perhaps we have a resident fitter to advise?

Last edited by chesters6; Dec 27th, 2007 at 15:38.
The Following User Says Thank You to chesters6 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 16:36   #4
brens-s80
VOC Member

Thumbs up many thanks

hi mike ,

an excellent write up ,appreciate it greatly. This is what makes this such a great forum as it gives the DIY maintainer a better sense of confidence when tackling their cars maintenance .

Have a very happy and prosperous new year .

regards

brendan
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 17:55   #5
Andrew (UK)
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesters6 View Post
my bro in law batters them out with my sds drill ,i did see somewhere on an american? site a remover using stock gas? fitting pieces which looked interesting perhaps it can be adapted if the sizes vary in bushes.
i had lost the link but a search found it again

http://www-ese.fnal.gov/People/wilce...shing_tool.htm

whether the parts are available in the sizes mentioned i have no idea but perhaps we have a resident fitter to advise?
I keep meaning to get myself one of those made up. It's only needed for the trailing arm rear bushings (not the wishbone bushings referred to in the top post) which are attached to the axle and so must be changed in situ, the rest can be done with a press or a vice. In addition the TA bushings are held in a bracket that will distort at much less force than is needed to get the bushings out which is why you need the support piece in the middle during R&R. It's essentially modelled on the Volvo tool. Incidentally I believe that the VOC tool hire scheme has this tool available to borrow for members. Attempt to do the TA bushings with an SDS drill and I think you'll regret it.

Andrew
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 20:50   #6
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

I did my TA bushes with an angle grinder and a cold chisel, to cut the bush in half and then bend the bits inwards so that they fell out of the lugs. Pulling in the new bush was much easier, with a threaded rod, a collection of washers and spacers, and a distance piece held in with string.

My warning with the front suspension bushes is when unbolting the bracket from the chassis section. Take very great care that you don't strip the thread on the captive nuts when winding the bolts out. I think the projecting ends of the bolts inside the chassis get rusty and pick up debris, and this gets wound into the nut.